Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Colin, I can still see them can't you*? ( *In the style of ' The King Has Got No Clothes' fairy tale! wink 2) I suspect that while they are just about visible Danny will wave his magic rubbing wand over them and something miraculous will appear! No pressure there then Danny?

Nigel - yes tis he himself - visitor gone home today and hope to be back with a vengeance tomorrow onward (after I've fixed the leaky toilet water inlet pipe anyway! smiley!)

Onwards and upwards.

Keep it up Danny - great job!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 20/11/2014 19:48:31

Thanks Chaps, Glenn I decided not to use the petroleum jelly, for the reason that you have suggested. Usually warm soapy water is used to clean the surface afterwards, and I cannot do that inside the cockpit. So in this case its much simpler. I have wiped a foam sanding pad around, to just expose some of the alloy underneath. After, using a finger tip and a cotton bud rubbed some pewter Rub'n Buff over the rivets just to help pick some out. Is a very quick process. Its a waxy metalic paste, and gives a similar effect to dry brushing but is a little more controllable.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin, my Tamiya flat black came in a little plastic bottle and I airbrushed it using a cheap (but works really nicely) airbrush. The beauty of the tamiya acrylic is its water soluble, and was thinned with about 4 drops of water. I have not used a matt black as nice as this before and will use it again for sure.

My cheap airbrush is similar to this, though this is better value as it comes with more bits and a selection of needles:

Cheers

Danny

Shake can is fine Martin, depends if you can control where it goes, I don't mean that disrespectfully, aerosols just tend to use a high pressure?

The tamiya actually brushes nicely too, unlike Humbrol the brush marks vanish!

I am still in two minds about a sliding canopy, but either way the rails will be fitted whether they function is another matter.

The real problem with sliding canopys in my experience is making the frame of the sliding bit rigid enough. Dave Womersley makes a complete frame on the inside of his Chippy by soldered brass tubing. As you will know the sliding part of the canopy is only attached at the front on either side and centrally at the rear, on the fin dorsal section. This means the rear sides of the canopy are unsupported.

You also then have to consider how you will keep it either open or closed!

Cheers

Danny