Ajay Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Advert

After setting the trims up and running a watt meter check I could not resist bolting on an old set of AJ Crane Fly blades and nipping over to the field for some taxi trials . The weather was warm and dry so the the lack of covering was not a concern as any mods or repairs could easily be done without messing up the finish.

On arriving at the field the wind conditions were very light so I wondered if our short runways would be enough distance to get the blades up to speed , no need to have fretted as they were going well after around ten yards, the steerable tail wheel worked well and a little more power saw the model getting light with no tendency to pitch or roll so I went for it and off she went with great ease and a sigh of relief from me.

The model proved very pleasant to fly with absolutely no white knuckles or need to use rudder in the turns, power off descents were fine as the model automatically adopted an agreeable nose down attitude followed by plenty of pitch authority to achieve a gentle landing.

I also tried a hand launch which proved to be easy , and returned impressed with the model which had been assembled in a couple of days which included the redesign to accommodate all the gear out of sight and the undercarriage redesign , the really interesting thing was the lifting ability of the standard AJ 450 Crane Fly blades which flew this model extremely well ,I don't really feel inclined to try the broad blades supplied so maybe AJ will issue the kit with the standard 450 blades? I have not yet tried the adjustable shim plate so after covering that will be the next job. I must congratulate AJ again on the kit quality and very accurate parts fit nice one lads thumbs up.

Tom

ajay gyro parts 013.jpg

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 12/06/2014 19:01:44

Just a foot note to the first flight report .... The AJ 450 blades were shimmed at 0.8mm 6 mm back from the bolt hole centre, and the model will take any battery size (3 cell) from 1.3A to2.2A. Roll trim left (ACW) blades 2.5 degrees, pitch trim 4 degrees positive relative to fus datum or 17 degrees relative to level ground. Prop 11 x 5 cruise power 160 W Max power available 330 W. AUW as flown with 1.3A lipo 2 lbs. Rotor diameter aprox 36.5".OAL 34".

Trim settings are likely to vary slightly from model to model so spending an inordinate amount of time to set them exactly to to the standard spec could be time wasted .If the model is built and test flown correctly approximate "eye ball" settings based on the published guide should be a good starting point .

My example of the model shows every sign of being a robust easy build, with excellent flying qualities. And I understand that the production kit could cost less than anything currently on the market of equivalent dual axis size, which is good news indeed.

Tom.

The model should come to life Adrian, when covered smile. Getting to the bare flyable stage is PDQ because the parts count is low and they fit together so well.

Some offline have said its a Scout copy , but in fact the only common factor with the Scout is the use of a profile.The fus is different as is the control head , flex plate ,blades, and undercarriage, so it could be said to be Scout inspired but definitely not a Scout .

In addition to the data I gave above after flying my model I have been asked to quote the hang angle, but it is worth pointing out that any value attached to the the hang angle is only relevant if the vertical cog is positioned in harmony with the thrust line and lift vector. If the model design does not achieve this or the builder carries out modifications hang angle can be virtually irrelevant in terms of getting any Auto gyro to fly properly. If everything is in order then Tractor Autogyros will generally fly OK with in the range of 10 -20 degrees nose down when suspended from the rotor bolt the first flights with my model were carried out with a hang angle of 12 degrees. So all I can say is that 12 degrees suited my model, but I suspect it could be trimmed to suit different values within the range stated. I find lower hang angle can result in sweeter roll only turns ,with less back stick required to keep the nose tracking the horizon, just my preference others may prefer other set ups, and it can also depend on the margin available between the lift vector and cog. Incorrect alignment compensated by an excessive hang angle can result in a model that performs badly. The Ajay seems to have a good cog position if built to as per instructions early indications suggest it should be tolerant to changes due to using different battery. sizes, I will be able to confirm this following more test flying.

Tom.

John it would be good to see some alternative colour schemes , lets see what Pete comes up with as he is about ready to start his Ajay build . A single axis version should work just fine, but I think the dual axis Ajay will be the ideal progression for the guys who have already cut their Auto gyro teeth on single axis , anyway the model is IMHO as easy to fly as any single axis I have flown and has the advantage of faster spin up for ROG and eliminates the problem of getting optimum mast angle which can be a problem with single axis particularly when slight variations creep into a build. Just my thoughts, but of course it's up to AJ to decide what variations will be made available, in short I like the model as is thumbs up.

Tom.