WOT 4 E Kit

As anyone had any issues with CG using 3s setup. Just ordered a kit and when ordering the motor from a good vendor I was informed that the kit as known issues with loads of weight needed to get cg right.He said ripmax were aware some time ago and its proberly addressed by now.But I was warned that if you get a bad kit 4s is needed which I do not want to do.

Any feedback from owners would be great,recent buyers would be good also if anyone did get a so called heavy one did it require 4s to offset the weight.

Advert

Hi Gary I have a wot 4 e balsa just finnished putting the gear in. The balance point in the instructions is wrong should be 90 cm from the leading edge but check the ripmax site to be sure they never corrected the instructions. I am using 4s and an emax BL 2826/06 motor model is just over four pounds in old money. There is a great thread somewhere in the build heading gives great info. Not flown mine yet but balances bang on with the bigger batteries and bigger motor (had to shorten the motor mount to fit it in the cowl but no big deal) no added lead. To be honest the balsa wood used in the kit is the hardest and heaviest I have ever encountered and the nylon fittings went straight in the bin and I bought new. Will try to ring a link to the build for you but I am not very good with the search function might take a while smiley

Much the same as Masher with my crevices, also bending the elevator push rod caused it to snap. I made up a new one and used metal screw on clevises. I used a larger motor, 4 cells and over 100gms of lead to balance at 90mm.

this is because the whole fuselage from the wing trailing edge aft is heavy birch ply, weight and strength where you don't need it. It's worth glass in ground the undercarriage mounting plate as this easily rips out (don't ask why I know).

The model flew ok but was fairly fast due to all the weight, lots of birch ply in the wings too.

hope yours goes well,

adrian

• 5 months later...

I have just started learning to fly on the same model. I have added about 90g of lead in the nose and she still flies great on a 2200 mAh 3 cell battery. I didn't want to go for 4 cell batteries because I have so many 3 cells already. I was initially against putting all that lead in the nose, but I assure you that trying to fly it with the CG too far back is very difficult. That is the opinion of the club expert who trimmed it out for me!

Even with the extra weight she flies as slowly as you could ever want and is very easy to land. with a 11 x 6 prop she has plenty of power as well and takes off after about 3m run on grass. My advice is not to worry about the "dead weight" if the model had come with it already fitted, no one would be complaining about the performance!

If being used as a trainer, I probably agree with you Ian. Unfortunately this version is very pedestrian compared to all the other WOT's which can be very sprightly if required so anyone thinking it might be like a foamy WOT beware - it's much heavier and slower.

I also had been alerted to the heavy back end, so I used an 810kv OS motor and poked it straight through the cowling. With a 3300 4s battery it balanced properly. They call it "balsa", but repairs have shown very little evidence of what we normally think of as balsa. You could dig a trench with the wing!

All Chris Foss designs fly well, but it was hard to fall in love with this model. Mine usualy stopped a spin instantly the sticks were centrallised, but one day it found a whole new level of spin - almost a blurr - I gazed in wonder for a second too long, and it is now in the 'repair pending, perhaps' box!

Capably flown one of these could last a long time, and it has to be good value at the price.

Newcomers might be wise to convert to banded wings, but in my opinion that goes for any smallish models.

My biggest criticism is the flight time on a 3 cell battery, but this isn't leveled at the model itself and is probably a result of the cheap batteries I'm using (turnigy 2200mah). Just when I'm getting the hang of the flying, it's time to land, which is why I'm currently building a normal sized Wot 4 kit with a glo engine.