"Ms Jax" - free plan back in the late 80's??

Here's yet another model I built back in the late 80's (but never got to fly it). Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a copy of the plan and magazine article? It would have been a free plan with one of the popular mags at that time. I'd also be interested to know if anyone else out there also built one and, if so, what it was like to fly.

ms-jax-01.jpg

ms-jax-02.jpg

Advert

Aug 89 RM available here.

**LINK**

but the item description seems to indicate that the MS Jax was the "feature" plan - which usually means you had to buy it. The free plan listed as coming with this mag is listed as "The Quiver - A 45" wingspan "Quaker" for the Mills .75 Replica Engine and 2-function micro-sized radio control. Designed by W.John Wheater (FULL SIZE PLAN)"

The cover looks familiar. I may have that mag - not 100% sure. If I have, I'll check it for you and see (unless anyone else knows for sure?)

Mike - I have the Ms Jax plan, PM me if you want a copy. It was free with Radio Modeller August 1989 and there was a smaller version, Lil Special which I've also got, somewhere.

I built the Ms Jax with an HP40, and I still have and fly an enlarged 60" version with an OS70FS.

Graeme

Ian is correct in that that's the cover, however it's not in stock! Plan was included as was the Quiver plan. One plan was stapled in (Quiver) while the larger Superplan in 2 colours was separate. Make sure you get both plans if you find a copy. Ms Jax plan was mainly in black with some components overprinted in red. A monochrome copy should be OK if you understand that fuselage side and also one wing overlaps other parts. The red printing distinguished them from the other parts.

Little Special was in Radio Modeller Oct 1988 - a copy is available from Magazine Exchange but plan is missing!

You could try Hobbyists Bookland ( Tee Publishing ) for old magazines.

This is a pretty good forum- an enquiry aftert 11pm gets the info 30 minutes later, the full info and  an offer for the plan before 9am!

Edited By kc on 24/06/2014 08:49:39

Mike - this is the MJ120 -

dscf1072.jpg

First flight was 22/04/09 and its had at least 80 flights. I first flew my Kyosho Osmose 70 the same day. That's had the same number of flights, give or take, but is now looking very tatty compared to the MJ120. It's fuel soaked despite some extra fuel-proofer and a lot of the trim has come off (and there are a couple of repairs). The MJ120 just needs a clean to remove the cow s$&t and would look as good as new.

I've found an envelope for the plan, I'll get it in the post to you later this week.

Graeme

Mike - yes, the ailerons are slightly bigger than a straight 20% enlargement. The control surface gaps are sealed with tape too, giving a much better aileron response. Other mods are stringers on the rear decking instead of sheet, a simpler cowl, longer canopy and dual aileron servos. It flies a lot better than the original Ms Jax, my version of which had a warped wing.

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have a copy of the Ms Jax build article (August 1989 issue of Radio Modeller) that they could scan and email to me? I've been unsuccessful in locating a copy on Ebay.

I have the plan, courtesy of Graeme, but would like to get a copy of the article for completeness. Just in the process of scaling down the plan by about 20% and will put some build photos up in due course.

Mike

I'm just finishing my Ms Jax for our club fly in next weekend (Can't post a link due to the IT police at work! but for now google North Cotswold Model Aero Club) If you need the mag/plan scanning let me know and I'll be happy to help.

We're having a Dereck designs feature at our fly in if anyone wants to come along?

Steve

Hi Steve

i hope to make it. I have built a bubbles from the scrap box. Currently it's unflyable. Vertical under power and no aileron authority. Maybe some one can help out on the day.

Also have a control liner ready, that was great fun last weekend first flight for 25 years

andy

Thanks Jack,

I drew up the main plans on lengths of lining paper... and for the smaller components, I found some free 2D CAD software from Siemens website "Solid Edge"

This being my first attempt at an electric conversion, I'm simply basing the powertrain on my Mini Panic which is of a similar size.

So it will have:

• Airtek Exel EX/3536/1100kv brushless outrunner which I plan to mount on rubber bobbins
  • Overlander XP2 60A ESC
  • Overlander Supersport 3S 2200mAH LiPo
  • EMP 10 x 6 prop

I'm going to try some EMAX ES3104 ball raced metal gear servos on the control surfaces.

I've no idea if this set-up is appropriate, but will soon find out!

indecision

Edited By Mike Smith on 06/08/2014 09:19:14

Edited By Mike Smith on 06/08/2014 09:19:31