tony's first attempt with a depron vulcan

i have been swayed into the dark art of depron.

thought i would have a try with it and is my usual method, i have jumped right in at the deep end with a vulcan.

started on the 1st of this month and have been making progress.

its a whole new way of building and has taken some lateral thinking to do.

Advert

yes i started on the first of july, though i did spend a couple of days just sitting there and staring at a sheet of depron, trying to work out how to do it.

started planking the nose and realised that you dont have to with depron as it curves better.

its weird stuff to use, but i am getting the hang of it a bit now.

i expect there will be lots of mistakes ahead of me.

but if i can master it, i have some nice plans for an sr71 that would lwork well in depron.

80" wingspan for a single pusher prop in the tail.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 02/07/2014 22:12:51

I don't know about you Electriflier, but this gives me nightmares!

Tony, if you're having a pusher, make sure that you use some form of rod (x2 at least) from the motor mount going through several fuz formers to make that tail piece nice and rigid. Both Electriflier and I built ours on RCGroup forum so there are plenty of photos on there. I'm on there as Daz393.

Looking good mate, keep going.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 08/07/2014 08:24:17:

why nightmares. ??

..........because I remember when I was at that stage in the build of my Vulcan, and the headaches that followed getting all of the formers in the right positions and getting the shape right.

All in all Tony, it was fun, but as there are no "proper" plans for this model, you have to do a lot of head scratching and cutting parts several times just to get it right. If you are using the drawings that I used, it gives former and rib shapes, but no locations.

However, when I built my Valiant, I only had 3 views and no former/rib drawings, so it was twice as hard, but not impossible, just a few extra grey hairs!!!! Personally I enjoy that challenge, and seeing it completed knowing it was all of my work makes me feel even more better.

You'll be fine. You know where we are if you need anything.

Tony,

My word, you build fast! Gotta love the Vulcan. I built it first at 82" and the last one at 100" and I remember every stage of the builds clearly. Try to ensure you give the wing joiner/ strengthening some thought before you do too much fuselage skinning. Is it going to have retracts?

Looking forward to the next update.

regards

Roy