Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

Advert

She flew very nicely. Conditions were marginal on the less favoured nw slope - but I found some lift far out and two clicks of up trim had her cruising nicely in v little wind (6 -8 mph). Mark
has really done a great
job and the model has
some great features in
the design - not least is
the v easily removed /
refitted gear tray that
allows battery placement
right up to the tip of the
nose - meaning hardly
any added nose weight
needed at all. AUW is
under 44 oz but Mark has
also incorporated a
beautifully simple
"ballast box" under the
long top hatch - he even
supplied me with a
tailored 14 oz block
which im looking forward to trying out on good heavy blow day
Thanks for a great job done Mark - she's a keeper and will be in the car on every slope visit

Well im glad your pleased Tim. I was flying my lighty loaded est 7 oz sq ft Gazelle and scratching around for flight, you were at the back and to the left of us, someone said 'He's launched', I had to get down and watch the ' maestro' work the slope and at 11oz a sq ft you shown us how to do it Tim. It was fantastic to see it cruise by with its nose up a little like the real powered one does but with a little power on, those views will stay with me for ever.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/10/2014 08:24:34

Thanks Mark - and again, well done on producing a great model - I wish you every success mate and look forward to flying again with you soon thumbs up

Anyone thinking of getting one of these better be quick - I know quite a few were sold / ordered this weekend so get onto Mark and we can all enjoy the Vulcan in the skies again en mass !

Thanks Tim for kind words, I may have been at this Vulcan's birth, but your it's new adoptive owner enjoy it to the full which I'm sure you will. Thanks for showing and introducing me and Steve Houghton the the ski slope at the Orme on Sunday afternoon, we had a great time tail chasing each other above the pier thanks a lot Tim.

tim mackey with his vulcan and mark kettle the designer and builder.jpg

Whilst I was at the Orme event this weekend John Hay passed me a MP4 file on a disc of the pair of Vulcan's flying at the last event up the Lleyn Peninsula in August 2014.

He filmed the occasion when Phil Cooke and Tim Mackey took the Vulcan's up for brilliant display of RC model air-man-ship, well here's John video. Tell me what you think.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 13/10/2014 11:46:06

When I said Andy I use to do a lot of video in the past well I did and made this what they call in the certain circles a ' sweded video ' .....like they did in the film 'Be Kind Rewind'

Here's the Original......

.....and led me on to make this it took me ages with all the cut's and editing in, any have a gander....at my sweded version......

And also make convention video's like this one....

This is why I like John's Video, I can respect the time his took to do it for me.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 14/10/2014 16:44:39

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 14/10/2014 16:53:46

Let explaine Sweded....

Summarized it the recreation of popular pop-culture films using limited budgets and a camcorder. The process is called sweding. Upon completion the film has been Sweded.

Origins: In the Michel Gondry film BE KIND REWIND, the character Jerry accidentally erases the videotapes at Mos Def's rental store, and the pair remake all the movies themselves. These versions become popular with customers, who are told they take longer to arrive and cost more because they come from Sweden. Hence, the films are referred to as 'Sweded'.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a note to everyone who has requested epp Vulcan these should be soon be fulfilled.

I altered my full time work to cope with the demand a month ago, however this coincided with the sad job of empting my uncle's garage and shed after his death and dispersal of his models and kit.

Further delay in the Vulcan kits, I was not happy with some of the cut's for the inner wing part and it caused me some delay of about 3 weeks with a lot of scrapped material, wanting it to be the best I can do and get some consistency, I've re-engineered a cutting table and some of my jigs, to cope with the angled cut the hot-wire has to cope with in the mid-section to next wing section.

Good news is I'm on track now, should be in-touch soon when it's your turn on the list for a model.

Kind regards Mark Kettle

mark kettle with his avro vulcans epp model white and camouflage.jpg

PS: I'm also doing a 'Kit Build Blog' on here that is linked the the kit building, and I'll be mirroring the same kit build as 'manual instructions' - for those that need a paper copy in with the kits.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 08/03/2015 23:16:22

Watched with edge of the seat interest ,realy first class job ,you guys amaze me you make these buildes look so easy,althuogh i build but i struggle some times when it comes to straight edges and makinking wings fit to gether the normal stuff you guys do as second nature i get quite jelouse lol yes

Thanks for the comments Bernie, it's not to hard with this Vulcan build, I've designed in a lot of basic simple edge to edge glueing that makes building a little easier, for instance the fuselage top and bottom once the inner step is glued to the outer foam the fuselage sides just glue into the corner making it easy to get a long straight fuselage.

44 inch span vulcan vulcanised body ideas.jpg