Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

Cheers Tim for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed your go on the white Vulcan, that close in formation flying you did with Phil were a thrill for me, the successive loops and rolls made by you both a pleasure to see, on my side as the designer of the 44" model it was a relief with it's easy to fly and good manners, allowing us as the flyers to do aero's with confidence.

Tim, I'll get on with yours needs tomorrow, and pm you when it's nearly ready.

Just been measuring the balance point and lightened the set-up by 2 oz, I did this by putting a AA battery right up front along with the RX on that removable ply plate and now there is no lead in the front of the nose, all I had to do was extend the battery leads and put a fly lead in the rx and to switch on you connect the two in the hatch area.

Balance - C o G - For those that have been watching the balance point is 270 mm measured form the rear TE forward along the side of the body underneath and marked it for reference and transferred that measurement to the inside for the middle position for the lead ballast.

Control Throws - low elevator - 6 mm up and down -high elevator - 10 mm up and down

Control throws - low aileron - 7.5 mm up and down - high aileron - 12.5 mm up and down

Measurements at the widest elevon part near the engine pod.

The trailing edge finish measure's 8 mm wide on the edge, and these measurements are either side of the 8 mm finish. The aerodynamics are fine even with the wide square finish to the trailing edge.

A waiting some fine pictures taken by the pro-camera people to be sent, and I'll share and post them on here.

Advert

One or two photos from Steve Mclaren who was at the Llyn Peninsula Pssa meeting 9th and 10th of August, photos taken Saturday.

Got my shot like real one over the sea at Eastbourne

avro vulcan 44 inch span epp foam over the sea at llyn peninsula.jpg

avro vulcan 44 inch span epp foam fly by at llyn peninsula.jpg

avro vulcan 44 inch span over fields at llyn peninsula.jpg

Thanks Steve. ...........indecision  I could have combed the Vulcan's aerial prior to test launch.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 11/08/2014 21:57:14

There's not much flying that has the presence of the Vulcan, is there? Your model captures it perfectly. I watched the re-run of the programme about British jets on BBC4 tonight and there was quite a bit on the Vulcan. Tony Blackman was being interviewed and he talked about displaying it at Farnborough. He describes that in detail in his book.

Some pictures kindly sent by Phil Cooke PSSA UK organiser.

avro vulcan white and camouflage.jpg

Credit for photographs - Phil Cooke August 2014

mark kettle with his avro vulcans epp model white and camouflage.jpg

avro vulcan white anti flash finish 44 inch epp foam.jpg

Credit for photographs - Phil Cooke August 2014

avro vulcan camouflage finish 44 inch epp foam.jpg

I've been in the workshop with these bad girl's for three weeks even I think WOW ! ! ! 

Many Thanks Phil. yes                            

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/08/2014 09:16:49

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/08/2014 09:17:18

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/08/2014 09:17:50

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/08/2014 09:18:20

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 12/08/2014 09:19:02

Mark

Following your help regarding EPP, I came back to look at your build. I have to admit that whilst I have been following it recently, I hadn't actually registered the first couple of pages where you show the EPP!

Having now read it properly, it is a very impressive story bolstered by successful test flights. Whilst I want the EPP for profile models am now inspired to try something more adventurous too. I didn't realise the EPP was 'sandable' and the brown paper finishing and painting has come out very well.

Well done!

Thanks You Masher, over the years I have developed way's of slicing, cutting and sanding epp, along the way there's been lot's of learning with this material. At the event held by the PSSA at Llyn Peninsula great fun was had and by standing back and letting others fly them, it was a joy to see them being flown around in close formation and twin aerobatics executed, making the three week design and build all worth while.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 13/08/2014 08:51:08

• 1 month later...

Well development has taken place of my design to enable me to cut the parts for the model in a repeatable even manner. I have gathered all the parts together that make the model for a picture. I've even drawn a half wing plan on paper and carried on the same paper drawing the patterns for the covering in brown paper. It makes quite a good shot to show the parts and the finished model.

epp parts that turn into a vulcan 44 inch span model.jpg

...a bit of glueing and sanding the parts turn into....

finished model from epp foam parts.jpg

I've even fabricated the elevon and it's offered all ready finished with the hinge under the light ply top sandwiched between the light ply and epp foam elevon.

side shot of vulcan epp parts.jpg

the elevon is glued into the step in the trailing edge step.

side shot vulcan.jpg

Another one is born. I've now cut eleven Vulcan's in the last 10 weeks, I'm starting to know it's shape inside out.

This one's all balanced ready for tomorrow at the Great Orme, I'm taking 6 Vulcan's tomorrow with me.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 10/10/2014 23:48:56