Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

Cheers Daz -watched your Vulcan video last night of your build and maiden flight again on your You Tube channel brilliant and great music you chose.

Well done a little this morning before work. remember the way and method to stick the corners of the body together well it really speeds up the build.

44 inch vulcan corner detail for fuse make-up.jpg

Picture shows rear tail cone glued

44 inch span vulcan rear tailcone glued together.jpg

Domestic plastic rain guttering makes an idea sander with 80 grit grade paper stuck inside to sand the fuselage round, the handles made from MDF wood glued on with hot melt.

44 inch span vulcan house plastic guttering grit inside for sanding.jpg

Choosing the correct sometimes larger radius plastic guttering helps and makes getting to round easy.

I had to make some packers to put inside the body fuselage to help support it whilst sanding and shaping, it allows you to press apply pressure without bending or breaking the work.

44 inch span vulcan fuselage packers helps support foam whilst sanding.jpg

Sander in place on fuselage 

44 inch span vulcan makes body round quickly handle glued with hot melt.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 09:01:53

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 09:29:26

Thank you Steve for your reply, the section is one I've use on the Gazelle as seen in video on page one in this thread, its my own design section I've just made it wider and longer for all the different chord lengths, here's a picture of the gazelle section and section b from plan.

PS. Steve - is the JP fully decorated now?

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan wing section like gazelles section b on plan.jpg

The top line towards the trailing edge has a little flex rather than outer camber this should help with the flying wing.

Location pin on trailing edge - cemented in section rested onto foam helps set position.

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan section location pin edge of foam.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 13:15:52

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 13:30:35

Thanks Steve with the comments about the Gazelle, you'll have to show us your PSS idea for a glider.

Some basics with wing sections and I'll only mention two - the efficiency of a wing is influenced greatly by it's aerofoil often called section or profile, which has camber and some thickness. It could take a whole thread maybe you ought to start one Steve - asking members of this fine site to offer up sections they have used : -it's chord length, thickness- camber - wing span, weight of model, wing layout and the model it was used on - power or glider, here's a picture of wing section features - aerofoils etc etc.

wing section features.jpg

I think Steve it would be a good thread for you to start.

Well the fuselage is sanded and now needs a cockpit - to scale needs to be 20 mm deep, made a pattern to cut the side profile shape and another to cut the top shape.

pattern for cockpit.jpg

under the hotwire

cockpit hotwire cut.jpg

Found a old cardboard tape roll stuck some grit on it to sand the underneath of cockpit to concave it so it fits the fuselage

sanding cockpit top.jpg

Concave bottom to cockpit helps with fit

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan cockpit on fuselage.jpg

side view coming on - when sanding knock out a little foam out of the nose - easy fixed with a patch.

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan side view cockpit.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 15:03:25

The Elevons for this model I have made as one piece each side. The full scale Vulcan as a inner large one near the engine pod and slimmer longer ones out board of that. To emulate that I will draw it on the covering with a marker pen.

As a rule of thumb and for good control on flying wings - not over or under control especially in the up and down mode - I try to keep to the width of the Elevon on wings to 15 % of the chord length. Of course the Vulcan wing sweeps a lot so I pick on a few points along the wing and measure 15 % of chord to check it to scale and its very similar to the full scale one in appearance.

A pattern / tool as been to aid cutting the Elevon's out and notice the marker from the tip for reference.

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan elevon pattern made mdf wood.jpg

Up against the wing

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan wing elevon.jpg

I turn it over to cut the other side.....laugh notice this is the underneath od the wing ( you can see the spar ) so it should read right ..... it doesn't matter because its symmetrical.... and the drag spar below for left should be seen on the top. LOL...

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan elevon near wing cut out.jpg

I actually cut these out before the drag spar is fitted, the angle / edge made by the elevon is followed through to spar placement from middle of the wing to tip.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 16:12:31

The Elevon needs slimming down because I want to use 3 mm light ply as a stiffener and if I don't it will be to thick and this is not good for streamlining and I would like to keep to little of the TE section it has. I've set 3 mm on the hot-wire cutter used a bit of wood to keep the elevon flat to the table whilst slicing of 3 mm of the epp foam Elevon. The 3 mm is set with a spacer between the table and wire.

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan 3mm sliced off foam elevon.jpg

NOW - I've got - FES - surprise - Floppy Elevon Syndrome, - this is not what I want or need to control this Avro Vulcan.

'3 birds with one stone' - To stiffen it up with 3 mm light ply I've gained 3 by-products by doing this.

By extending the ply to the front of the elevon I end up with a gap underneath giving me the clearance I need for the Elevon to move down and the 3 mm light ply can be a bearing edge to the Elevon. All I need to do is stick it on the ply with contact adhesive and this gives the stiffness for the control ..... - my FES has cleared up !

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan elevon pattern ply and foam reducer tads on one side.jpg

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan elevon with ply hard hinge line and stiffener in one job.jpg

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan epp elevon clearence with use of light ply.jpg

this picture was took before I sanded the wing ...drag spar is to the top hard edge for wing and elevon to meet.

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan make sure when glueing not to make two lefts or rights.jpg

Have to make sure I don't make two lefts of rights when glueing them together

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan elevon checked and fit gap in wing.jpg

One right Elevons in place to try out...again picture took before sanding it.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 16:48:27

Sorry chaps - been away from the bench, been flying for a bit tonight at the Melton Mowbray field - took a small wing with 1200 mah battery.

Cheers Stevo - about the Hoover - (Vax) - I'm trying to copy Matt Jones in his threads he keeps a very clean workshop - he says he always cleans up every night, keeps the builds clean and tidy. I need to change my ways, so I keep the vacuum under the bench.

In the past - it's got so bad - this is the past where I only cleaned up once every 7 -or 10 days whilst I was build / working ....I thought my arms were getting shorter - No - it was all the cuttings and rubbish on the floor I was standing on - after I cleaned up.... I could reach the work bench again. I'm a changed man.yes

Covered the body in filler - tomorrow it will bit crispy dry, so I'll sand that, put servos in the wing with cover plates for the exit arms run wires to middle at forward in front of the main spar, stick on the engine pods, and cover in brown paper - already mixed the paste, can't wait.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/07/2014 21:49:52

Centred the servo and put a 'L' on the left one to keep them handed, chose a servo arm long enough to poke through slot and remembered to tighten the servo screw. Servo hatch made from 1.5 mm balsa with the wood grain positioned to help with wing shape, cut servo hole in wing and made it a tight for the servo, used a little glue to pot it in, glued in the edge of epp foam recess, on top of servo and inside hatch cover.

vulcan servo cover .jpg

Servo hatch pattern 

servo hatch pattern .jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 17/07/2014 16:34:54

Hi Stevo, on the small wooden jigs and special tools I've made I put 'red and white' flashing on so I can find them, in the past it took ages to find one, it had been scooped up on a tidy up and ended up in the balsa box.

Now where's the red marker and white tipex for that hatch pattern.

jigs and tools i put red and white on them .jpg

PS. Stevo your Be2c build looks good.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 17/07/2014 19:23:39

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 17/07/2014 19:44:57