Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

Last night showed a picture of the Vulcan to the lad, he said the fin doesn't look right, well I wasn't sure. So first job today was from a few drawings I've got I've re-shaped it. Here's some pictures.

old fin foam new shape wooden pattern.jpg

reshaped epp avro vulcan fin 1.jpg

I'm much happier now - will it pass inspection tonight from the lad?

Also took front edge down on engine pod.

also took front edge down on engine pod.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 18/07/2014 10:32:21

Sometimes when you get a arrival wrong the nose can break off you model, especially on a foam model, so I've put a support piece in now, save me doing it later -via a repair.

nose to wing support 1.5 birch ply and 3 mm light stuck together.jpg

Width gap inside fuse 55 mm, slots cut into wing that width and the allowance for ply cut inside that. Placed ply of 3 mm light ply stuck to 1.5 mm birch ply which is length 200 mm x 32 mm. 100 mm in the wing and the other inside the side of the fuselage. Temporary spacer -epp foam- just placed in between ply tongues. After glueing on the fuselage I will check it has adhered to the sides properly when I cut into the fuse to make a hatch, and take out the epp spacer.

temporary foam spacer of to press ply to fuse sides inside.jpg

side push onto ply in wing with glue on.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 18/07/2014 12:20:40

The above process as to include attaching the fuselage. So done a dry fit and happy its in the middle and marked both top and bottom to the wing the line the glue needs to go to. I will have to work fast because I'm using contact adhesive, to help I'll use 'TimeBond' it as a little slide time which I'll need.

dry fit fuselage mark with pen for glue line.jpg

pen line both top and bottom.jpg

timebond glue.jpg

To speed it up the drying time, I'll put the fan on blowing air on the model to help blow the flumes off.

Fuselage on - coating engine pods with lightweight filler - Wilko's sold out locally so using the bit left in the tub of PolyCell One Fill its the same except more expensive.

Using fingers to get around the engine shape.

wilko sold out of lightweiht filler using the same polycell one fill.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 18/07/2014 14:11:56

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 18/07/2014 14:12:50

Looking very good.

Reading with interest, although no matter how hard I try, with the pattern in the foam, I cannot get it out of my head that you're using black pudding to build the Vulcan with.

Edited By John F on 21/07/2014 11:15:05

Thank you John F for your comment. I suppose the black epp  looks a little like 'black pudding', mind you epp doesn't go off in the current heat wave. So the Fins on it includes 3 x support fin posts glued in the foam fin and two of them go to the bottom of the fuse base.

fin on with 3 x support posts.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 21/07/2014 15:57:16

Yes I was however wall paper paste and brown paper. Phil would you advise to change to PVA and brown paper?

Then polyurethane varnish then acrylic paint. Phil Is your T33 covered in brown paper before film covering?

Your welcome Phil to have a epp Vulcan however can you guess who's made you second on the list?

Covered in epp dust just finished sanding second body.

I must admit Mark I've never used wall paper paste on models, I covered my Sea Fury (all cut from black EPP by the way) in brown paper and PVA and that worked well, see below - if I was to guess I'd think the resultant finish and feel must be very similar - but having never tried the paste route I cant advise from experience. Go with your gut.

Sea Fury EPP

Sea Fury Paper

My T-33 is white EPP strapped with fibre tape then covered in Profilm.

Mark I'd love a set of Vulcan parts that would be awesome, let me know what you want for them please!! It must be Matt or Dave chasing one of these too is it??? hehehe. It'll be another 'mass build' before we know it surprise

No tricks really, I followed a method passed down to me by Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms, the (slightly watered down) PVA applied to the MATT side of the brown paper and allowed to soak for a few seconds leaves it very compliant to 3D curves, I did have to use some sharp scissors to cut some little flaps around areas like wing tips where the radius gets too small, but I found myself treating it like solartex really, folding the flaps around the corner with overlaps.

The nice thing about the PVA is that when it is all dry you can sand out the overlaps with a fine paper and you end up with a good surface finish for a light coat(s) of dope prior to paint.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 22/07/2014 22:14:28