Help me choose

Iain Marshall

As a newish flyer of rc planes I need help to decide on a trainer.

I have flown helis a bit and briefly had a 2ch glider years ago.

I like the look of the e flite Apprentice and Parkzone Sport Cub. I will have to go it alone but also have Phoenix and a DX6i.

Thanks for any help.

Iain

Advert

Hi Iain.

I'm learning to fly as well. If at all possible it would be best to join a local club. This is what I have found and am very lucky to have one a couple of miles from where I live. If you are in a remote area I understand. There are a lot of experienced people on the forum and I'm sure they will be along to help shortly.

kevinb.

I have 2 old second hand trainers and a fibreglass Yamamoto (unflown). One has an OS 40 in it and the other an Irvine 61. The Yamamoto is getting a 46 as it is apparently a bit heavy for a 40 according to my instructor. Already crashed the 40 trainer (dead stick and hit a stone wall), so it looks like I will be building a few more, just in case !

If you're going electric, then there are quite a few good trainers out there. One chap in our club is having a lot of success with a Riot. It flies really nice and steady, although it looks like quite an aerobatic model.

What area are you in ? Look on the members map to see who is nearby. If there isn't a local club, maybe one of your local forumites may be able to help. You can also put yourself on the map with the rest of us.

smiley

I can recommend the Eflite Apprentice - one of our members has taught himself to fly with it. I've tried it and in beginner mode it's virtually impossible to crash. He has now advanced with it to do basic aerobatics and can now land it in intermediate mode - all in the last 3 months. He has made a couple of dozen flights by now, I should think, and the Apprentice is still undamaged - quite something for a trainer. He used Phoenix extensively to practice circuits and landings.

While I can understand the desire to learn on something that looks like a real aircraft, and both the planes mentioned would be fine if you have some flight experience or an experienced flier with you, the "problem" with motor/prop on the front is that if you don't get it right on landing you will damage the prop or motor mount (and undercarriage). Something like an Easy Star or Bixler with the prop & motor behind the wing will be much more forgiving and tolerant of less than perfect arrivals.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/07/2014 09:25:41:

While I can understand the desire to learn on something that looks like a real aircraft, and both the planes mentioned would be fine if you have some flight experience or an experienced flier with you, the "problem" with motor/prop on the front is that if you don't get it right on landing you will damage the prop or motor mount (and undercarriage). Something like an Easy Star or Bixler with the prop & motor behind the wing will be much more forgiving and tolerant of less than perfect arrivals.

I agree with the point about prop position, the chance of prop/motor damage with either the Easy Star or Bixler is significantly reduced.

My return route to flying started with the Parkzone Super Cub LP (I did toy with the idea of an Easy Star - but the Cub got my vote), this is a very stable flyer (a 3 channel model) and in my opinion is a good starting point to self tuition.

Among other models I now fly the Parkzone Sport Cub, which the OP asks about, and I'm very pleased with it, in the scheme of things not too difficult to fly but certainly not as forgiving as the Super Cub LP. For the sake of achieving a successful introduction to flying I would probably not recommend the Super Cub as an introductory model to self tuition.