lipo balancing

Marko

hi all Ive been to my local hobby stores to buy yet more stuff ! and i just happened to mention that my lipo batt i bought from them an impulse 3s showed a cell low after one charge and flight  i asked about a balancer   and was told "Ive never balanced any of my lipos and they have had loads of charges" as i think he might get a good staff discount on batts i bought one anyway , ther seams to be a lot of conflicting views from stores to club members as to how often lipos need balancing could you please advice cheers .....................mark

Eric is correct in that it is" best practice " to balance each charge. However, there are some packs that I own from years ago that never had balance leads fitted and they are still going pretty strong ( Kokam 2000 )

I also have a few 2s packs in IC models and Slopers where the discharge rate is so low ( radio only ) I confess to not bothering to balance more tghan about every 5 or 6 charges. 

Buy the Tenergy charger it is in fact four chargers built into the same case and microprosessor controlled to ballance each cell as they charge individually, as far as I can make out it is the only ballance charger available, the rest seem to be chargers with ballancers attached, you can tell them by the fact they charge through the main power lead from the battery and the ballance lead attached to ballance the unit, the Tenergy only has the ballance lead attached and charges each cell individually whilst monotoring the chage rate and voltage, its very clever the  way it reduces the charge rate on one cell to allow the others to catch up or visa versa. 

Shame its only available for up too four cells, they have a bigger one on the way, but not available yet.

Mike

Flash1 wrote (see)

Not so Mike

My balancer/charger is an  ORCA and charges through the balancer leads.

I did say as far as I can make out, add one more to the list of real ballance chargers, we now have the ORCA and the Tenergy.

Anyone else? also does anyone know of one that does more than four cells, preferably 10 cells at 5 amps, this would have to be a 300watt charger the only ones available are below 200 watts at this amperage and voltage and are not true ballance chargers, anyone know any different?

Mike

I balance every charge. 

Bantam eStation BC8 with built in balancer.  Most such chargers do not charge via balancing leads - they only discharge to achieve balance and the balance leads cannot carry sufficient current for bigger (most) batteries and the charge is via the main + - leads which are beefy.  Charger warns in big letters (as do others) to connect balancer lead AND main charge output leads.

Thinking of adding the Hyperion EOS 0610 6s Dual Charger with 2 Built in Balancers or the new Bantam BC610

Has anyone had a crash that they can definitely attribute to unbalanced cells? I wonder!

Personally I balance my cells when a check shows a difference of more than 0.03v.

No special reason for this it just seemed reasonable to me at the time!

I have the Bantam 902 with the interlink to ballance my 12S packs, but as the BC8 this is not a true ballance charger, as Edmond says it just discharges as it is charging to ballance the cells, with a ballance charger which charges through the ballance leads you are only charging one cell with the smaller cable, admittedly the interface cable between two cells is taking twice the charge of the single cable on the outside cell, but in any case the charge input is divided by the number of cells in the pack, so a 3S pack charging at 10amps is only taking 3.3amps per cable to the outside cells and a possible maximum of 6.6amps to the internal - + connection, the Tenergy ballance charger is only rated for 6amp charging so the current taken by the ballance lead is even less, I have not seen a ballance lead yet that would not be capable of taking that load.

Mike

Eric Smyth wrote (see)

Has anyone had a crash that they can definitely attribute to unbalanced cells? I wonder!

Personally I balance my cells when a check shows a difference of more than 0.03v.

No special reason for this it just seemed reasonable to me at the time!

Its more a question of trying to prolong the life of your very expensive packs, as they get further out of ballance they become more inefficient, as the cells will not discharge at the same rate as they have different capacities, therefore the out of ballance gets worse and the performance suffers more, untill eventually one cell will be so far out of ballance it will not recover to its full capacity when charged and that's the end of the efficiency of the pack.

Mike

Eric

I have practiced balancing my lipos for the last few days now. At first it was not easy due to the radius-ed ends to the battery, although it is easy if laid on their side (no need to balance). I have found that after a prolonged session of flinging, that the packs can get quite flat ends, which makes balancing on end much easier.

I will shortly be going to Aberdeen to visit my daughter via M6 etc., (running the tax raising speed trap gauntlet of varying speeds, there is one section that is 50mph for about 1/4 mile, with two cameras, then back to 70). I will practice my Highland fling there. Although it is technically not the Highlands, except for deliveries, when it is.

I no ow our fiend feels abart pour spellin, as uffers is to lasy to use spell checker. As I dont need need it, nar worry.

Erfolg