What Engine Should I buy?

Braddock, VC

I know there's another thread along these lines on the forum but my case is slightly different, I've been retired for a week now and I want to buy myself a retirement present that may even get used.

I don't like petrol as the smell puts me right off, not into vintage engines and what I probably want is an engine in the 60 - 90 range 2 stroke or in the100 - 180 4 stroke.

I have no enyas but fond memories of a 15d back in the days when it rattled the tiger's cage so I expect I'll get an enya, the 61 2s looks good as does the 155 4s.

I guess what I really want is one that'll offer top performance on low ie less than 10% nitro.

BTW I have a rake of OS 2 and 4 strokes from the 10 right up to the 160fx, ditto saitos and lasers I also have a couple of YS but though I'd like another the amount of nitro doesn't appeal.

If those enyas will perform on less than 10% then my mind's almost made up.

Any views?

Advert

Laser also have a 155, it was in one of the mags recently. the enya is really nice engine though, I have a 120 that's brilliant and a 155 that's not (I bought it 2nd hand and its a dog), but a friend has a 155 that runs brilliantly, it has good power but likes to rev and is a very hot (temperature) engine. The standard exhaust is also quite shouty!

Edited By Jon Harper on 07/08/2014 14:54:32

Hi I currently have a Enya 60 4 stroke (an old model) in a twice size lady bird. Its a powerful old lump . It currently runs on 10 % because i have plenty of it .It will idle really well for ages without an on-board glow with instant pick up. Great engine but pricey, and the glow-plug is still in a difficult place needing a remote glow connector. Re the differing reports on Enyas performance and handling I have had some experience with them in.the past of spitting props and general hard running . I found that the only cure was to shim the head , reducing the compression slightly; or for a temporary fix fit a short reach idle bar glow plug to retard the timing. Hope you get sorted and happy retirement .

I wish they still did the 80 2 stroke, I'm starting to view the 60 2 stroke as it looks as though it will fit in a 46 size model and could well replace a saito 82 in my kit built acrowot, my problem is that I'm on the move for the next few weeks in unpredictable mode so can't do mail order or online ordering.

The only other thing that concerns me is the performance of the muffler, they seem inadequate for the job and I guess I'd have to get a weston throttle pipe to pull the stunt to my satisfaction.

• 1 month later...

Ended up getting a bnib sc 91, destined for my Acrowot which I built yonks ago, covered fus in nylon and have yet to cover the wing. Tail feathers from my previous acrowot which crashed following switch failure (i think) smashing everything up to the leading edge of the tailplane.

Not an exotic I know but it'll do for me.