SAAB Viggen 1/8th scale PSS

Andy Meade

Hi Mark,

Viggen should be 1/8th, not sure on the Phantom! Must be 1/13th or thereabouts? I know my Me262 is 1/12th and she looks like she could carry the Phantom off for dinner!

Just checked Wikipedia (1755cm long) and the original HMM site (94cm long)- she should be ~1/18th scale! Cripes, that's small.

Here is a link to the HMM site :

http://www.metcalfehmm.freeserve.co.uk/phantom.htm

All righty then! A few pics form lunch time. These two batteries are going into the nose (2500mah) :

20141003_124607[1].jpg

5 cell 6v packs. These were from my glider tug, but she is being changed over to LiFe over the winter, and these have only been cycled 5 or 6 times, so should be fine for this beastie. Will be run into a FRSky D8R-SP Rx, either through an SM services battery backer, or if I get time, a dual diode harness off the switches which are here in the nose :

20141003_124232[1].jpg

Oh yes - all servos are now in too, and flight controls tied up. Means she will be a little heavier when the spraying starts tonight, but that shouldn't be a problem. Canard servos :

20141003_124201[1].jpg

Elevon servos :

20141003_124142[1].jpg

So spraying starts in earnest tonight on the top coat - that should give me most of next week for details and nav lights, and with a bit of luck the decal set from Pyramid might turn up too.

Oh, also had a panic on the wing bolt front. She already has two captive nuts embedded in the fus structure, but I cannot find any bolts that fit in my collection! Just ordered a couple of sets from ebay to retro fit ASAP.

Are we on course for next Saturday maiden? Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here she is in her almost-finished state, snapped by the gaffer Phil Cooke. Not enough wind for her to fly this last weekend, but there's lots of wind about at the moment...!

Still to do : canopy framing, nav light install, weathering, laquer.

I have started masking the canopy off this morning ready for the framing paintwork to go on. Anyone know what colour light should be on an airplane's chuff? I have a read beacon for the top and bottom, a high intensity headlight (that will go underneath and facing forward...somewhere), and then not sure what should go where. Can't do the wing tip beacons as I forgot to run the leads in when I was working on it

edit1024img_7007.jpg

edit1024img_7021.jpg

Yes he did, along with a load more of us.

However, the wind was V strong ( measured at 90MPH at one point by Andy Ellison ) with average speeds of around 65 -70MPH. Although a few suitable models did fly, the Viggen and my Vulcan stayed grounded. I think it was a wise decision considering their wing area and style. I'm sure Andy will chip in when he gets back online, but I know he managed a few successful flights with other aircraft, so not a totally wasted weekend.

Just as Tim said, no Viggen maiden for me in that crazy wind. I did have a couple of successful sorties with the Me262, who now sits as my pride of the fleet, having conquered some amazing lift, and a couple of dodgy landings from me (God bless gorse and heather!).

So, the Viggen lives to fly another day - whether or not that's this year, I just don't know currently. Rhossili might be do-able in the near future, as it's a lot closer than the Orme, or maybe my local big slopes on the Malverns, but she's a bit of weight and awkward shape to get up to that hill.

Yup definitely glad she's a bit shorter in the wing. I will definitely make another though, with extra reinforcement in the fuselage from the wing bolt plate forward. This will probably take the form of chopped-strand-mat on the inside, and maybe a second layer of glass fibre skin on the outside around the nose section. All of this will coincide with the plan being blown up x2 to 1/6th scale I think, so I can fit the in-board flaps and a bit more detail elsewhere.

Edited By Andy Meade on 21/10/2014 10:58:02

• 5 months later...

Well, the Viggen flew...but not that convincingly unfortunately. The wind was a bit too strong for her 7lb weight it seems, so maybe a ballast box is in order. Also I noticed some control hysteresis in the elevons that should have been picked up in build - this will be solved entirely by moving some high power flat digital servos into the wings.

Now I know she is at least capable of flight as a PSS'er, I will finish off some of the detail under the wings, like the strakes and fit the ECM pod to the LE too. Then probably a home-brewed afterburner system, and that'll be it. Ready for June? Maybe not, perhaps better off planning this for the Lleyn in August, but I will see how we go.

img_3904.jpg

img_3952.jpg

img_3966.jpg