Teach yourself book

Vic8

Can someone recommend a book on learning how to fly radio control model aircraft. I cannot find the time to fly as often as I would like and being able to "read up" on what I should be trying to achieve and what actions on my part have created the un-wanted control, CAUSE AND EFFECT, will be a great help. My friendly but small club do not have a qualified instructor and although I conduct myself in a safe and responsible manner with adequate take off`s and landings, I really do need to try and improve. For example; when to mix rudder and ailerons or when to cut the engine to achieve a 3 point landing.

Advert

Im not a believer in that your can read to teach yourself to fly.... You will not be able to recall what you read quickly enough...

i didnt learn on a simulator, but have you thought about that option?

if it was me, id find another club with an instructor as they,ll be worth their weight in repaired models amd wasted weekends... You can still attend your current club also......

whats your training model?

k

Edited By KingKade on 16/08/2014 13:17:07

Posted by Vic8 on 16/08/2014 12:52:45:

Can someone recommend a book on learning how to fly radio control model aircraft. I cannot find the time to fly as often as I would like and being able to "read up" on what I should be trying to achieve and what actions on my part have created the un-wanted control, CAUSE AND EFFECT, will be a great help. My friendly but small club do not have a qualified instructor and although I conduct myself in a safe and responsible manner with adequate take off`s and landings, I really do need to try and improve. For example; when to mix rudder and ailerons or when to cut the engine to achieve a 3 point landing.

Even in a small club as you describe it, it's such a shame that there isn't somebody who's able to give you a few tips on the finer points of aircraft control. You don't need a 'qualified instructor' in fact those who have achieved approved status are very few and far between - club instructors are mostly just that, flyers who are prepared to help out but are simply registered by their club with the BMFA.

From your post you sound as if you are already quite a competent flyer, perhaps you're trying to over think things? Go and watch at any club and 90% of the sport flyers will not touch the rudder once their model is off the ground, and three point landings will be as rare as hen's teeth!wink.

Posted by Masher on 16/08/2014 14:22:08:

One of most helpful resources is Peter Jenkins' thread on here - "ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics" here

Still waiting for this to be made into a book ,all that info woukd be brilliant if it was made into a sort of pilots handbook , i for one would definately buy a copy

Hi Vic8 ,may help you, and also recommend the Phoenix simulator.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Beginners-Guide-to-Radio-Control-Airplanes/

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/learning-to-fly-rc-airplanes.html

All the best and happy landings.

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 16/08/2014 18:19:16

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 16/08/2014 18:23:46

Posted by john melia 1 on 16/08/2014 14:52:07:
Posted by Masher on 16/08/2014 14:22:08:

One of most helpful resources is Peter Jenkins' thread on here - "ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics" here

Still waiting for this to be made into a book ,all that info woukd be brilliant if it was made into a sort of pilots handbook , i for one would definately buy a copy

I agree.

I have this thread bookmarked and am working my way through it.