Southern Model Air Show 2014

Advert

Yep I'll be there on Saturday. Last year was a bit sparse, but a) the weather was poor, b) financial climate and c) I think people may have given it a wide berth!

However you get to park just across the road, and the walk into the site was quite short. Aim to get there around 9AM and have brekkie!!

As a dedicated airstrip it does work well.

I'm probably going on the Sunday, though the weather forecast may have a role to play in that decision nearer the time!

Last year's show was badly affected by the weather. When, for several previous years, it was held at the Hop Farm they (nearly) always had good weather. Fingers crossed for this year!

Yes I think it remained dry but it was a bit grim and cold as far as I remember! Maybe some thought it was dead after the debacle at the HF the year before when the HF cancelled it!

I got there for 9 but was on my way home at 12, there were not many traders there compared with HF. I hope its better this year, but as you say the weather plays an important part.

I went on the Sunday last year and I think Stevo's description "grim and cold" summed-up the weather quite well, as far as I recall. It was rather breezy too, and across the strip. The flying stopped shortly after lunchtime if I remember correctly as the conditions were getting worse.

I'm hoping for a return to the sort of show they put on at the Hop Farm, and a bit of decent weather will help enormously.

The date does not seem to be in the BMFA magazine or other mags. The website says it's 13 & 14 Sept. It's Headcorn near Ashford Kent.

The Headcorn Show was excellent last year. The full size & model duo was very unusual. Plenty of Traders last year just poor weather. I will be going this year if the weather is dry. A very small museum and a hanger with full size at the site. However the list of traders on the website does not list SLEC this year,  but Balsa Cabin and others are due to be there.

Edited By kc on 19/08/2014 11:15:34

£12 for an adult and £35 for a family ticket is a bit steep IMHO. I'm in the fortunate position where it wouldn't affect my decision to go, but when travelling costs are factored in it will put many off. I think a tenner is acceptable. Don't 'kill the golden goose' and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How bizzare is this...

Went to order my ticket today, deadline tomorrow.

£10 online price, £12 on the day. So I go through the ordering procedure and they slap £2.50 booking fee on top...

So more expensive in advance.... I'll buy one on the day methinks sad

What ever happened to printing tickets online as they did at the Hop Farm.....

Edited By Stevo on 11/09/2014 18:56:21

OK!

Got there for 9AM, left at 16:45. Probably the longest stay for me. 

Anyone go today? What an improvement from last year. I'll moan first, but not much. No WW1 aircraft anywhere to be seen. No SLEC, no Carboncopy, no Robotbirds. Only one vendor selling burgers. Toilets few and far between. I wish there was a stall that sold crisps, sweets and so on. No Ali Machinchy.

Having said that, there were other food stalls, Fish 'n' Chips, and Toasties, Paninis etc - a welcome change. Nice they were too. Panini price - £4.50, not that bad. Free entrance to the Lashenden war (wreckage) museum, well worth it. The flying? Great. TJD warbirds fully co-ordinated displays were awe inspiring. The A10 Tankbuster (Twin turbine) 'attacking' the scale tanks, although for the younger viewers, was nevertheless excellent.

Car parking well organised and no problems there.

And - the commentary! No more "He's from England, you know..." We had two good commentators who never deviated from the flying script. However one niggle - they never really talked about the models, i.e. what kit it was, what engine etc. but more about the full size counterparts. But I enjoyed the refreshing change!! And no cheesy film music either.

Very glad I went, and it's certain for next year.

Edited By Stevo on 13/09/2014 18:25:36

Edited By Stevo on 13/09/2014 18:26:14

Posted by Stevo on 13/09/2014 18:24:24:

........And no cheesy film music either.

Very glad I went, and it's certain for next year.

That just reminded me of this years, 1st for me, nationals. What was with the music? Superman theme song....star wars theme song.. ..jeez please..... that distracted from some of the flying for me.

Who is this specifically for? IMHO i do not think it adds drama, i think it gives an air of amateurism to it.....

If it was adding something i'm sure the red arrows would have their flypasts to music.....

k

That was my second model airshow and first time at The Southern. I thought it was excellent. I really enjoyed all the flying especially the full size and model aircraft tho I heard some comments that the full size was flying too close to the crowd line. An excellent and enjoyable day.

Hey Yoda.. Glad enjoyed it you did. Not sure about the F/S, that's where they usually fly as part of the aerodrome.

If the flight is co ordinated to music I've no issue, but it's always a cliche when the same old aforementioned tunes are churned out year after year.