Where do you attach the glow lead on these ebay "engines"

Dave Hopkin

Advert

I don't want to ruffle feathers but I have sold loads of small vintage items on eBay Some of theses items are impossible to get theses days. 4" MS wheels are like the proverbial, unobtainable. If you have tyre and no hub there is a hub if your hub has worn holes there's a hub ! A year ago I cleared out I sold 4 or 5 wheels from the 1950's by Shuco Hegi someone wanted them and other items from early Japanese kits from the mid 50's

Just in case you think I harbour junk I am almost over the hill but have worked through all the Spektrum Tx's to an 18 which is the only radio I now possess. I sold my single channel one 50 years ago.

By the way it's 'sheer'

rECENTLY TOOK A COUPLE OF CHANCES LATELY SHOULD SAY 3. I BOUGHT 2. 61,S AN IRVINE AND A BDS. BOTH SEIZED SOLID. AHA I HEAR YOU SAY SERVES YOU RIGHT. WELL WHEN THEY ARRIVE I REALISED AT ONCE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. CASTOR OIL GUMMING IT SETS SOLID LIKE VARNISH. HOW DO YOU SHIFT VARNISH? WITH A SOLVENT (THINNERS FOR EXAMPLE ) A GOOD SOAKING INSIDE AND OUT WITH A COUPLE OF CHANGES DID THE TRICK. THE OTHER ENGINE WAS A ONE cc BUGGY MOTOR NEVER RUN BRAND SPANKERS BUT NO BOX OR ANYTHING ALL BOUGHT FOR £11 OR LESS THE THINNERS DOES A GOOD JOB OF CLEANING UP THE OUTSIDE TOO.SO YOU SEE THERE BE BARGAINS ON E-BAY AFTER ALL. BTW REGARDING BEING OVER THE HILL MY FIRST RADIO GEAR HAD VALVES. I AM 71 AND BEEN PLANE MAD SINCE EVER I CAN REMEMBER . A GRANDSON ASKED A WHILE AGO HOW MANY PLANES I COULD NAME. AFTER AN HOUR HE LOST COUNT AND INTEREST. POOR LAD HASN'T BEEN THE SAME SINCE LOL. CHEERS FOLKS JOHN

GLOW LEADS ARE OLD HAT THESE DAYS ESPECIALLY WITH SO MANY EXTENDED HEADS ON THE CAR/BUGGY ENGINES. YOU NEED A FIRESTICK TYPE STARTER CONNECTOR WHICH IS CYLINDRICAL ( STICK SHAPED ) AND HAS BATTERIES IN THE HANDLE A SMALL HOLE IN THE COWLING AND YOU'RE IN BUSINESS. IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR WON VOLTAGE OR MAKE A VARIABLE VOLT UNIT DEPENDING ON PLUGS USED GOOOD LUCK. JOHN

Recently actually bought a 60" span Answer with Magregor Digimac IV, single servo and PAW 2.49. Well, I would never spend time building it and I did love my old Super Scorpion. Cost me £26.

Fitted a 30FS and three channel radio

Sold the Radio and PAW for a total of £33. Net profit of about £2

My first four channel set was the Macgregor. Ye Gods! I never realised how heavy those sticks were.

My first ever radio was ECC Telecommander in 1954. Never did get a flight out of it!!

Hi Peter, I picked up a really old Black Magic with a Challenger 4 channel radio in it's styro box, on looking at the little listing pics I spotted something strange buried in the styro' so I bid and won it for £36, collect. I sold the radio £24, it was in good nick, Someone local to me bought the model or £30 The buried objects in the styro happened to be a 2 volt start battery and a glow clip. But best of all a 1947 Mills 1.3 dirty but as new and a1947 ED penny slot. Both engines were hardly run I got £80 for the Mills and still have the ED.

There are plenty of bargains on eBay if you keep looking and using your senses

That looks like a super-regen receiver (probably AM tone but may be CW instead). The relay would have switched the escapement and it would need two batteries - an HT (usually a 22 1/2 volt 'deaf-aid' battery - they didn't have button cells back then)and a LT (normally a 1.5 volt AA - or U2 as it was then) for the an acorn valve at the bottom.

IT was the earlier version with a big valve stuck out the top. It used 2 45Volt hearing aid betteries, 1 1.5 Volt grid bias battery and four pencells for the rubber driven escapement.

You spent ages with a miliameter setting the current drop as you keyed the Tx and the you set the sensitivity with the milliammeter (or maybe it was the other way round.) Carrier wave pure and simple, no one had even heard of tone then

After that it would work the rudder on the old "BANG BANG" system

Then you started the engine and the relay chattered and the escapement wernt berserk and all your turns came off the rubber motor while the rudder waggled away.

Then you started all over again.

It might be 60 years ago but it is still burned into my mind.

Edited By Peter Miller on 20/08/2014 08:37:44

Thanks for the info,Peter.

I started when proportional radio was starting to become cheap- or at least affordable. My first radio was an Acoms two channel and my first plane was a Pilot Timmy two channel glider- then I bought a second hand 4 channel Futaba and was able to control rudder and elevator on the same stick-luxury! In those days, of course, if you wanted to fly a different model you had to pull your Rx out and plug it in to it.

These youngsters today, don't know they are born....

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 21/08/2014 01:30:35

Hi Rob.

My first successful and reliable radio was RCS Guidance System. Again just a push button to move the rudder with a rubber driven escapement. This was in 1962 or 3. Fully transistorized and very small.

When I eventually had four channel radio you had to set up every model the same way. No model memories. It was safe!

Last Sunday I forgot that my FF8 needed the memory to be changed unlike my Spektrum. Very embarrassing but luckily no damage.