On the bench

Ernie

Hi scale guys, So, at last we've got to 50 threads, so how about this? Send a pic of your current project, and let us all see what your about.

This is my Fokker eindecker from the Procor kit. Its a fantastic product ,certainly the best I've ever seen..The fuselage is from round dowelling, with clever wire attachment points built in. Each joint has to be shaped to form a junction, so its all pretty time consuming. At the nose you can just see the engine mount  (laser150) with servos, fuel tank etc. which slides out from the front for easy access. All the little scale cockpit bits are from the scrapbox.

Behind, you can see the wing, with CNC cut ply ribs, with balsa capping.  So far, its taken me around 100 hours

ernie

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/ernadele/fokcop.jpg

Advert

OK, didnt realize it was daft , but no more from me on this thread it is then

PS unlike other forums which shall remain nameless, I would only delete duplicated, incorrect, offensive, or otherwise unacceptable postings - its Ernie's prerogative to call me daft if he wants.

Sorry Timbo,

You really do a great job..especially all the bits helping newcomers with advice and support.    What I was trying to say was that in my book, an important part of a forum is the interchange of ideas and advice at a slightly more advanced level..For example, there are quite a few problems coming up re the E111, but when I bring them up, there is very little advice forthcoming.  If I need lots of chat, I suppose all I need to do is say something controversial

ernie

Wow! Now that is what I call scale building. That fuselage could be an "exhibition" model.

After all that work will you ever be able to pluck up the courage to fly it - no Depron crash resistance here!

I hope you do but I suspect you will find out why the Shuttleworth trust treat their full size planes pretty gently.

Will the controls surfaces be moved by scale cable control runs and with wing warping?

Hi guys,

Yes the wings will warp from a massive servo hidden behind the pilots seat., but I'm not sure about a covering material that won't wrinkle. The rudder and elevator are closed loop, and suprisingly simple..All moving  tail, and rudder.  Also, yes of course it has to fly, that's the whole delicious point isn't it?

Another  problem, is that everyone here flies throttle right, and I'm left, so' I'll have to do it myself. No copping out

And yes David, I'd be delighted to fix more photos

ernie

Hi David,

and not at all daft Timbo, sorry about the lack of Criquet pix (bet you love the compas) so here is another of the E111. I reckon WW1 aviators would have pinups in their cockpits, so this one is Von Richthoven's sister on the ammunition box.

ernie

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/ernadele/fockcop.jpg

here's a bit more of the yellow beasty

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/RobC57/Bu133.jpg

Both of these are at about the same stage - just waiting for the u/c, struts and rigging.

The Bucker uses a Stothers technique for the struts

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/RobC57/DSCF0172.jpg

- woodscrews with the head cut off, the end flattened and drilled, screwed into hardwood blocks built into the wings.  Don calls them Z connectors on the plan.  I've got some streamline section alloy tube which will form the struts, fitting over the 'z-connector' and secured with 6ba nylon through-bolts.  Rigging wire is currently planned as nylon covered fishing trace attached to suitable sized tags dropped over the z-connectors before screwing the struts on.

Does anyone know if Don Stothers is still around?   I still have his Jabberwock design on my list of must-builds.

Hi Barry, I'm afraid its more complex than that...the lower  dowelling is shaped to fit the longeron.  I made a  jig to do this.The wee acid etched brass fitting is sandwiched and then pinned through from the top..As you can see, there are still more wires to fit. It's all a bit daft isnt it ?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd40/ernadele/junction.jpg

All the best ernie

Ernie, Ta, where all "daft" just ask most of our girlfreinds/wives/ partner's............. so you have "pinned" all of the joint's???  I can recall pins and joint's , from a long gone erra. now it's "pins and needles" and "stiff joints"...well done,  Barry

Eric Bray wrote (see)

My wife thinks I'm mad for filling the house with toy aeroplanes - but then she does her share by filling the other half of the house with her card-making and cross-stitch stuff!

Tell me about it Eric    Mrs A is a knitter and all sorts of other stitchery stuff.......can never get near the computer when she's on her stitch'n'bitch forums or whatever they call 'em

OOh look 2000....catching up with Timbo.......sorry guys ......going off-topic

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Nothing! Cut some formers for the Nexus Halifax... Then Tony offers a faithfully scale Halibag plan... I'm in a holding pattern still... We'll see. I've not built from plans before so perhaps I'm taking on too much. Somehow I feel I ought to get on with the Nexus model... as a run-up to Tony's masterpiece when it arrives! Lots of expense in engines if I can't reuse them though - even if they're SC. Has Tony any info on what engine sizes he's thinking of?

Regards, Rob