HK - UK and Lpos

Erfolg

I need to replace a couple of Lipos and as is usual I have been looking at the HK, UK, site. Particularly now that it takes so long for an International order to arrive.

My first problem, the postage table is not obvius to me for the UK for Lipos. Do the international weight charges apply to the UK, say approx $15 for a 500g package.

The other issue, was is the difference with a multi-copter Lipo and the rest?

Advert

Hello Erflog

To make life a bit easier , you can change the currency shown to GBP. Its the tab on the top right hand corner. There are several options that will be offered on LIPO's inc Parcel force 24 and 48 etc if buying from UK. You takes your pick and you pays your money etc. I seem to remember paying about £6 last time I bought some 6S from HK UK and they were with me the next working day .

Sorry I can't tell you the difference on the multicopter advertised Lipo's . I can only surmise that the discharge rates are quite low ie in th 15-20C range. I tend to use 45C upwards on most of high current draw setups. Hopefully someone flying Multicopters here will be better placed to explain.

Posted by Tomtom39 on 06/09/2014 13:35:40:

Hello Erflog

To make life a bit easier , you can change the currency shown to GBP.

You could, but it's somewhat pointless. The figure in £ is only an estimate based on a conversion rate which in the past has not been changed at all for many, many months. So at any time the figure could be significantly higher, or lower, that what you actually end up paying. The only way you can get an accurate conversion of HK's $ prices is by seeing what paypal or your bank actually end up charging you!

As for the postage charges, like much of HK's website, it seems to be a bit of a muddle. I've certainly seen a mixture of international postage rates displayed (which are clearly irrelevant) as well as the ParcelFarce charges when ordering from the UK warehouse.

I've order a lot of LiPo's from the UK Warehouse and always used the Parcel Force charges and find they match the list price (Royal Mail) exactly. Right now a Turnigy 25C 2200mA-hr 3S Lipo is in stock and is £8-97 plus £4.93 for a 48-Hour delivery or £5.48 24-Hour. Total £13.20 on 48-hour service, clearly ordering two reduces the unit price.

I just tried to get the current exchange rate, but their help is off-line at the moment. I have been charged £-$ 1.61 two weeks ago.

Edited By David... on 06/09/2014 22:15:17

I don't know the difference for specific multi-rotor batteries Erf, but my experience with multi-rotors would suggest that its to do with discharge rates. A battery on a multi-rotor sees a rather different discharge profile from that in a fixed-wing aircraft. In the case of the latter, assuming you are flying general aerobatics, the battery sees short periods of high discharge followed by short periods of low discharge (as you "push the pedal to the metal" for take-off, verticals etc. then throttle back for cruise, or even right back to idle for the resulting downward vertical.)

In a multi-rotor the current draw is much more constant. You are just opening or closing the throttle small amounts either side of the hover setting most of the time.

So, in a multi-rotor the peak discharge may well be lower - but the battery has to deliver a steady middle range discharge all through the flight - no little breathers!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/09/2014 22:14:51

David... HK always charge you in US dollars. What you pay in £ is entirely dependant on paypal (or your bank/card issuer if you pay by other means.)

HK offer to display an indicitive price in other currencies, but in the past that price has often been woefully inaccurate as they only updated their conversion rates around twice a year!

I've just looked now, and the rate they're using is £1=$1.64 which suggests that they're (at last!) keeping their conversion rates up to date. However, as I said before, the actual amount you pay is determined not by HK but by paypal or your bank.

I have now purchased my Lipos.

I would urge HK to have a more obvious postage cost structure, I did assume from their table that the limits on weight are aet at 250g and 500g.

This limit makes quite a difference in that two lipos can be purchased for the same postal charge, in many cases.

With respect to conversion rates HM Customs must be using a value which is even lower than $1.5 as I recently (last week) had to pay duty on a item which was less than £15 using $1.5, never mind $1.6. I now know I need greater head room. althogh in this case it was a single item, not available on the UK site.

In my opinion it is no longer viable to purchase Lipo from the China branch due to the very long delivery time, some 3 or more.