When Is A Sale Not A Sale

Dai Fledermaus

I may need to replace our TV, so I've been looking around for what's available. What's beginning to bug me is the way Currys price not only TV's but most everything they sell.

Take for example a TV like the Samsung in the link below is advertised at a sale price of £399 saving £150 on the full price. However, look at the details and it was only sold at £549 from 28/8/14 to 17/9/14. So the sale price is really the normal price for most of the time.

Usually they describe the reduced prices as Huge Savings or words to that affect, but now they calling it a Sale, but if the item is on sale most of the time at the reduced price then in my book calling it a sale is misleading, isn't it? So how do they get away with it?

LINK

Advert

Yeap - standard practice - and I'm sure perfectly legal within the letter of the law sadly.

Sometimes they actually state (in very small print) somewhere "Previously on sale at £xxx at our Aberdeen store 1/4/14 to 21/4/14" or something similar. So it appears it doesn't even have to be on offer at that store at full price!

BEB

When will we learn as consumers that there is no such thing as a sale, no such thing as x% off .... (x% off what ... some imaginary figure !!!) all that matters is the ACTUAL price we pay .... and unfortunately it is up to US as consumers to do our research and find out exactly what the "price to pay" is ... yes it is OUR responsibility as consumers to find that out.

As consumers we have to adopt a stance that everyone is trying to "rip us off" and therefore WE must do our own research to find out what the going price (for any product) is.

There isn't a retailer out there who genuinely has "our best interests" at their heart ... there really isn't ... we as consumers have to battle for every penny we can get ...

Sorry to say that my point of view is that everyone is out out rip us off .... and it is up to us fight back and ensure we fight for the best possible deal.

Edited By avtur on 18/09/2014 19:01:17

I'm not a fan of Currys/PC World by any means. Indeed I do my best to avoid dealing with their staff. But they do have good prices on things more often than I'd expect.

Two or three times recently I've been going to buy something online from the likes of Amazon, Dabs or ebuyer, but then found Currys/PC World (5 mins stroll from the office, and on my way from the office to the station) have the item in stock. And at the same price, so I can reserve it and pick it up on my way home saving the delivery delay and postage costs.

Sadly it doesn't save me from dealing with the numpties in the store who spend 10 minutes trying to find the item I've reserved... sad