A Highland Chipmunk Build

John Howitt 1

I am getting quite excited about starting the build. I have not yet succumbed to doing anything more than touching the laser cut sheets and gazing briefly at the plan. The Bryant Storch has been put aside for the minute in preparation for October1. I must say that the construction of the Chipmunk seems a piece of cake compared with the Fiesler Storch. Perhaps once started I will change my mind.

I have also a large rebuild kitchen project to do and unlike most of my models this one must be finished.

I started aeromodelling in the 50's building a multitude of Keil Kraft models. None of them flew but I enjoyed the build and the thought that the latest one would exceed my expectations and actually fly for a few hundred metres. These pleasures were no longer possible when work and marriage interfered. It was not until much much later in life that cash was available to support a hobby adequately. I did manage to build an E-type replica (~10years) and a house in the extreme Scottish Bush before taking up model engineering and equipping my workshop as and when retirement provided more funds. It was when the current project was proving tedious I , and don't ask me how, decided to return to aeromodelling. As I have not yet learned to fly my enjoyment comes from the basic construction. This project will be finished and the result will be flown – not by me – unless I get down to some serious training.

Why put aside my Storch in favour of a Chipmunk? Part of my reason is that my best friend from early childhood, when at Aberdeen University ATC (I was too blind so had to join the OTC) was killed when his plane crashed as he was practising his aerobatic routine. He was a gifted flier, having achieved membership of the Scottish Universities Aerobatic team in his first year. The accident was written off as pilot error which seems to be par for the course if you read Ray Blyth's book. Hence my interest in the Chipmunk.

I am hoping to see this blog through to its termination with some photographic evidence once I determine how to do the latter. Wish me luck and pray that I will manage to say something of interest.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Day three and not a word from me so far. Work has proceeded both in the kitchen rebuild and the workshop. I did not want to write anything until I had mastered the business of adding pictures. I would prefer to upload from my home computer but realise that one must first create an album from which to upload pictures of ones efforts. So here goes.

Started with the tail plane and immediately found that there was an error on the plan. A simple fault, rib 2 on the right has been drawn one rib width to the left of its correct position. The wing spar is symmetrical supporting the need to reposition rib 2.chip 2.jpg

chip 1.jpg

Hello Martyn

I have no idea about the actual beast but was merely using logic to make my assertion. But does logic apply to aircraft designers who I'm sure have to follow engineering principles? What the hell, I'm still trying to work out how the trim tab is inserted/appended to the RH elevator. Will keep an eye on Danny's blog.

John