Hitec Big Let Down

Paul Millard 1

I am sure I am not the first on this .Some thief stole my beloved FF9c and I got pulled into a new Aurora 9 as being all I would need by magazine hype.I like a servo in each wing and just use flaperon as a easy way to add in flap control with the ailerons when landing.Guess what the Aurora 9 cannot do it ,the lesser Eclispe 7 and Optic 6 can so why not this?.It is the main feature I use on all my models and I bet I am not the only one.I tried all day to come up with a mix but no joy.I feel robbed and want rid of it.

Advert

I have an A9 with several models programmed for flapperons. From memory, it asks you your wing servo configuration and then I think you have to go to the second page to select flapperons. This can be switch activated or if you aren't using a motor, you can configure crow but leave out the aileron settings. I tried both with my Libelle and ended up selecting the crow method.

Steve

A470soaring.co.uk

Hello All

Flaperons only use one servo per wing and not a flap servo also and the Aurora cannot do this .It only gives flap use on separate servo channels when setting wing type channel 6 and 7.When you do this it gives flaps their own channel which is not flaperons..Gliders have a separate servo(s) for flaps which you can mix in conjunction with ailerons but this is not flaperons either .The only correct technical term is flaperon which the A9 cannot do and is poor for such a radio.

Paul. I set up my Libelle glider as an ACRO on the A9, which has two wing servos only and I set that up as flapperons so that both ailerons would go down, and added elevator compensation too. This was operated on a switch. I set up my Speedo glider in the same fashion except, because the speedo does not have full span ailerons, I programmed the tx to have spoilerons, with both ailerons going up and adding elevator compensation on that too.

With the A9 you aren't limited to using CH6&7 for flaps as you can nominate whatever channel you want for whatever function you want. When the on screen designations comes up, you aren't stuck with those as you can change them. I love this function as I swapped the positions around when setting up the Libelle as I didn't use an on/off switch, so I had to turn the plane on and off by plugging the battery connector into the RX, and off by pulling it out. I wanted space around that connector for ease of operation. Works for me!

Hi

Last I shall go on about this honest but I think folks should Know.The Gentleman called Jackomeister on this link has hit the nail on the head and has the reason flaperon cannot work .He says you cannot mix one channel into it's self which means if you have say aileron on one servo you cannot mix another function like flaps into the same servo.He took a bit of stick for this remark but he is right.

**LINK**

Thank you Pete. I think we all, or should I say that most of us know that most modern, computerised transmitters are capable of programming a two servo wing so that both control surfaces can be operated to travel up or down at the same time, whether that be by operating a switch, lever or stick. Our friend needs to read page 99 of the Aurora manual, CAMBMIX (ACRO and GLID), wing trailing edge camber mix which gives instruction on how to do this, it just doesn't call it flapperons.

Paul, I'd second what Pete said, I've had an A9 for 4 years now and have found it good. Setting up anything but the basics is not intuitive and setting up flaperons takes a bit of fiddling about but it can be done. My first transmitter a DX6i took a bit of time to get right also and the chaps at the club are always in discussion about how to do this or that on their tranny's whether it be Futaba, Taranis or any other even basic cheapies.

Searching the internet always brings up more negative comments than positives. The main reason I went with the A9 was a search showed very few problems if any with signal loss, something I experienced with the DX6i causing the loss of three aircraft in 2 years. 4 years on with A9 no problems that could be contributed to Hitec - only pilot error (stupidity) & battery failure.

Stick with it Paul.

hello again Paul-I use the A9 with a few different models-gliders and powered models (1servo per wing) I have set the camber mix and the speed setting---when these are deployed you can still use the servo's/controls as an aileron-on one of the power models I have them coming up as a spoiler..and still have the function of aileron...I don't see any problems as you mention......in the manual some of the termination is different to futaba's way of describing how to set things up.....

ken Anderson.... ne...1 A9 dept.