Merco Engines

Paul Jefferies

Advert

The best advice would be to stop "just thinking".

The Como 51 was an engine produced by Super Tigre around 1980. End of story.

Confused thinking around random other names that you may know is never going to change that.

Like I said, Google "Super Tigre Como 51". Then click on "images" and you'll get a page full of images, some of which will be of your engine.

Adam, I think that Brian, "Broken English," is right. I suspect that this is your engine isn't it?

super tigre como 51.jpg

Super Tigre were an Italian make famous for their high performance two-strokes. After the original owner retired they were bought up by, I believe, an American and production went to China but they went out of business because the demand for glow engines, especially two strokes, fell away with modellers increasingly powering small models with electric motors and large ones with petrol engines.

You are also confusing Italian Super Tigre engines with Taiwanese Thunder Tiger engines! Thunder Tiger have also gone out of production but both marques are still good quality engines and worth bothering with. I have a Super Tigre 40 ear marked for a sports aerobatic model and Thunder Tiger four strokes in a WOT 4 and a Senior Telemaster.

Aeromodelling is full of confusing nomenclature. I wish I had £100 for every time someone has confused a Keil Kraft Junior 60 with a Keil Kraft Super 60! wink

Just don't expect to retire on the proceeds of the sale Adam! cheeky

Your engine has a broken exhaust port and I don't think that the silencer is original either, not that I'm an expert on Como engines but I doubt that an engine collector would be interested in your engine.

Having said that, as Peter has said, Como/Super Tigre engines have a good reputation so your likely customer will probably be someone looking for a usable two-stroke in the 46-53 range but there's a lot of choice out there so prices for these engines are pretty low..