RCM&E November 2014

Kevin Fairgrieve

Advert

For me it was Simon Cocker talking about Rhossili. I have lived and flown the slopes of S Wales for years but I've never flown Rhossili as the amazing slopes of the Bwlch and the valleys have always been enough for me.

However, an old flying buddy, Roger from Swansea, otherwise known as Cliffhanger on the forums and videos, flew Rhossili as his home slope. Roger died at the beginning of the year from prostate cancer and so the lads of A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk are going to make a trip to Rhossili on the next available south westerly on a Sunday when the wind is too high for the para gliders, to pay our respects and remember Roger. Hopefully we can make it an annual event.

Roger was probably the best aerobatic slope flier I've ever seen, but he couldn't land for toffeecrook, but he was still a great bloke and entertaining to be around and we all miss him.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

You may have been reading in this issue about my clubs Dawn Till Dusk fundraising event.

I am sad to sad that our friend Colin has succumbed to his Cancer and died on Wednesday night with his family by his side.

Colin is the third aeromodelling friend I have lost to this disease in the last year alone.

The proceeds from the article in the magazine will be donated to the clubs Cancer Research Just Giving account.

I hope you enjoyed my story.

Andy Ellison

Hmm, Nigel Hawes was having a mini-rant about the box of fasteners he bought and that someone should be held responsible for calling them nuts and screws; well Nigel, I strongly suspect that they were nuts and screws and not nuts and bolts as you suggest! A machine or set screw (the differentiation is usually based on the size), usually abbreviated to just screw, is a threaded fastener of parallel form in which the thread runs the full length of the shank; a bolt has an unthreaded, or plain, shank between the head andf the threaded section.

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 17/10/2014 12:56:26:

Hmm, Nigel Hawes was having a mini-rant about the box of fasteners he bought and that someone should be held responsible for calling them nuts and screws; well Nigel, I strongly suspect that they were nuts and screws and not nuts and bolts as you suggest! A machine or set screw (the differentiation is usually based on the size), usually abbreviated to just screw, is a threaded fastener of parallel form in which the thread runs the full length of the shank; a bolt has an unthreaded, or plain, shank between the head andf the threaded section.

nicely explained, you learn something every day!

smiley

Disappointing that David Ashby takes a cheap dig at accountants in his review of Dynam's DHC Beaver. It is a myth that we make penny-pinching decisions where specifications are concerned, and I doubt very much that he even thinks to extend any plaudits to us when he comes across a top quality model. It is the management of a company who make decisions on price points and their corresponding costs and profit contribution. All we can do is quantify the likely outcome of a given course of action decided on by a team of managers including design, production, sales, marketing and finance, whilst trying to satisfy HMRC, Registrar of Companies, shareholders and banks, amongst others. 

Edited By Prop Nut on 17/10/2014 22:41:37

I probably received my subscriber copy as early as anyone else on 13 October. I noted I had already missed 7 'forthcoming' events because the dates were already historic. I would not have attended but the utility of advertising past events must be questioned. Nothing daunted, with a little bit of excitement I telephoned an advertiser in the readers' for sale and wanted section. He had sold his model a week previously because he had also advertised his item in a rival RC magazine that was published in an earlier week. Would it be beneficial, if in exchange for free publication of his advertisement, the advertiser agrees to RCME exclusivity? Could the editorial staff please also make a connect between the publication date and calendar events advertising for attendees?

Posted by Prop Nut on 17/10/2014 22:14:30:

Disappointing that David Ashby takes a cheap dig at accountants in his review of Dynam's DHC Beaver. It is a myth that we make penny-pinching decisions where specifications are concerned, and I doubt very much that he even thinks to extend any plaudits to us when he comes across a top quality model. It is the management of a company who make decisions on price points and their corresponding costs and profit contribution. All we can do is quantify the likely outcome of a given course of action decided on by a team of managers including design, production, sales, marketing and finance, whilst trying to satisfy HMRC, Registrar of Companies, shareholders and banks, amongst others.

Edited By Prop Nut on 17/10/2014 22:41:37

LOL, bless you Prop, it was a throw-away comment no more just to express annoyance at the model's shortcomings. Thanks for the clarification though wink 2

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 20/10/2014 07:48:29

Posted by Kit Davidson on 18/10/2014 23:36:11:

I probably received my subscriber copy as early as anyone else on 13 October. I noted I had already missed 7 'forthcoming' events because the dates were already historic. I would not have attended but the utility of advertising past events must be questioned. Nothing daunted, with a little bit of excitement I telephoned an advertiser in the readers' for sale and wanted section. He had sold his model a week previously because he had also advertised his item in a rival RC magazine that was published in an earlier week. Would it be beneficial, if in exchange for free publication of his advertisement, the advertiser agrees to RCME exclusivity? Could the editorial staff please also make a connect between the publication date and calendar events advertising for attendees?

Sorry about the error on the event dates Kit.

It would be impossible to get sellers to agree to that I'm afraid, it's just one of those things. Sellers are always keen to dispose of their items and, even if they did agree that it wouldn't appear elsewhere, In many cases I'm sure the ad would.

One thing I have noticed over the years (through having to contact sellers to clarify what they've written on their slips) is that many who send in Marketplace ads are amongst our older readers who don't use the internet. So there's less chance they'll sell online.

Enjoyed the Super Glue Chemistry article. Always receptive to a bit of science in my favourite mag. However, why cant Super Glue manufacturers make a bottle that stands up automatically when it gets knocked over so the nozzle doesn't block or leak super glue everywhere?. Like the old childs clown toy..

Martyn

Oh dear - Alex Whittaker has had a relapse. On p14 we have a mugshot of his 'auld mate' Bob Fletcher, 'distinguished member of the Press Corps...' and on p109. a similar pic of Danny Frento, 'Great lad'. Of absolutely no interest to anyone other than Alex himself and the two gentlemen in question. Why does the Editor allow this self-indulgent waste of space?

I can't help feeling that the "Top" letter in AllWrite got it wrong with the conclusion "Don't Rely On Navigation Equipment". From the description given it appears to me that the navigation equipment behaved impeccably. The pilot on the other hand seems to have behaved in an unreliable manner.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked in on this article to see if there was a mention of a BT P47 that I heard was in there and came to the post of Mr Jones re Alex Whittaker and a possible relapse.

If it was a mistype in your post re Danny Frento, and you actually meant Danny Fenton , I felt the comment of "Of absolutely no interest to anyone other than Alex and the two gentlemen in question" was totally uncalled for. D F is a contributer to this magazine who writes very informative aritcles, ideas that help people with their builds and helps with problems that may arise if he can, he asks for nothing in return and to put a face to a name is nice in the event he may be recognised at some show and people can personally thank him if they so wish if he has helped them out, or otherwise.

Comments like this can make people take a step back and think is it worth it.

We need these sort of people to remain in the hobby, a lot of good people have retired from the front line so to speak and just get on with their own modelling etc. which in fact means we have all missed out on their wisdom, knowledge and experience.

Perhaps the logical reason why the editor allowed "This self indulgent waste of space"