seagull gipsy moth

Newbee phil

Hi all
Has anyone on here got a gipsy moth by seagull models .... I'm thinking of getting one but was wondering if it's a pain when you get it to the field.... I have a black horse pitts and luckily it fits in the car fully built up .... other wise it takes over an hour to set it up. ... .. so I was wondering if both wingsets come off together etc .....

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/10/2014 20:20:11

Advert

I've edited your post for language, Phil - please have a read of the Code of Conduct smile

I have a Seagull 'Gispy' Moth, as they insist on calling it, awaiting assembly. The Gispy has a pair of transport frames which fit at the inboard end of each wing pair, which are retained on ali tube joiners.

The rigging wires are attached to the outer struts and inboard wing inner surfaces, so are independent of the fuselage, so no rigging connections are needed. Seems about as straightforward as it can be....thumbs up

Hoping to start mine soon...

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/10/2014 20:37:45

If you can live with the Google translation, there's a thread on a German forum with plenty of useful info here. Seems an OS FS70 fits nicely in the cowling - video link on page 5 of that thread. I see it is also confirmed that rigging is a 5 min job with the transport frames.

Pete

A 120 4 stroke will tear its wings off, its only 70 inch and I have seen 1/4 scale moths flown on 100's. This model will need an 80 at most, im looking at it myself with a view to using my Laser 80 as I can easily use a large diam/low pitch prop like 15x6 or 16x5

Edited By Jon Harper on 19/10/2014 09:30:26

I thought so PV. Just seemed to me that the engine sounded that it was struggling. There was no wind to speak of and it just didn't look like the take off had anything in reserve.

Oh well, maybe I'm being too critical. Biplanes are draggy, I just like to have more in the tank, personally.

A 120 four stroke is recommended or 20cc petrol

Edited By cymaz on 19/10/2014 13:45:34

• 6 months later...