Ripmax Flying Legends Gipsy Moth

cymaz

Advert

Posted by fly-navy on 13/02/2015 19:37:04:

Love it, love it, love it. Look after it Cy, we are down Perran in Sept and would love to see it in the flesh.

John

No excuse to visit us here

More maps here

I go slope soaring at Perran Sands Hoilday Park in the winter sometimes. Great lift with a NW wind.

Edited By cymaz on 13/02/2015 20:27:29

Lots of fiddly bits done today....cowl is on, began on the top wing slats, finished off the rigging and started doing a bit more detail...adding the wing retaining catches that match up with the brackets on the wings I did last week.

gipsy moth detailing 001.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 002.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 004.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 005.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 006.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 007.jpg

gipsy moth detailing 008.jpg

On a lighter note...the downstairs toilet seat came off its mountings today. Me, being a tight fisted old codger, decided to super glue the brackets back into the slots. I mentioned this to the good lady of the house. I thought it was funny to tell her not to sit on it yet in case she got herself firmly glued onto the seatteeth 2. I got a very long stare that could curdle milkface 8 at 50 paces......................embarrassed

Question about the balance of the model....

Here is the manual, and on page 13/14 it mentioned that the balance point is 95mm back from the leading edge of a 340mm chord (35%). The wings are parallel, have no sweep, have no stagger,

What would be the balance point be for the upper wing? I say this because it is easier to do a c of g test using the top wing on my cradle and straps.

Edited By cymaz on 16/02/2015 21:18:34

Richard at AJ Models (RIP) (the shop, not Richard) has a Gypsy Moth and the OS 4 cylinder engine to go with it. Last time I spoke to him about 18 months ago he was still having problems getting all 4 cylinders to fire so perhaps the problems with your friend's beautiful engine aren't unique. Richard had tried various modifications to the inlet manifold with mixed results. Perhaps you're better off with the Zenoah. On a positive note he said he's had a number of successful flights despite the dadgy engine performance.

I've been using those threaded inserts for some years. ModelFixings sell them. My applications have been much less stressful than fitting a 38cc pertol engine but they've not been any trouble. I just wish they did 3mm ones for things like cowl fiting.

It all looks very good and I like the way you've done the scale closed loop for the rudder. I may copy that when I get round to completing my DB Tiger Moth.

Geoff

Thanks for the kind words Geoff. The rudder idea was not mine ! There is a tiger moth thread on here, by Trevor Rushden if I remember, who built a small scale Tiger Moth. That is where I got the idea from.

I am sticking with the Zenoah. I epoxied the threaded inserts in very well.

It's nearly done. Today I fiddled about with the filler cap, vent and level sight. It's made a real difference to the look of a plain piece of plastic. Also glued on the anti stall slats. Tomorrow, I hope to print out the DH logos for the wing struts.

Its then c of g and install stiffer u/c springs.

I've really enjoyed the build, especially the fiddley detail bits. It's been a long slow build but in a way because it has been sooo slow there's been no stress. Just enjoyed thinking about things and doing a bit of research. Hope to get some pictures up when there is a nice day and it can sit in the sun finished.

Posted by cymaz on 16/02/2015 21:16:25:

Question about the balance of the model....

Here is the manual, and on page 13/14 it mentioned that the balance point is 95mm back from the leading edge of a 340mm chord (35%). The wings are parallel, have no sweep, have no stagger,

What would be the balance point be for the upper wing? I say this because it is easier to do a c of g test using the top wing on my cradle and straps.

Edited By cymaz on 16/02/2015 21:18:34

Found a spreadsheet calculator HERE

Saturday 21/02/15

Cleaned up the work benches...feel better. There is something therapeutic about have a clear up and putting all the tools back in the right place. It doesn't matter to me if I take them out 10 mins later. It's the fact all the stuff was back where it should be- in the right place. Also ordered some water slide transfer paper for the wing strut decals.

Added some stiffer springs to the undercarriage. Drained the fuel out of the tank to check the balance. The batteries are out of the air frame at the moment.

Today...

Started on the pitot tubes today. Should be finished in a couple of hours. Just now waiting for the epoxy to go off...my fault - I should really have some 5 min stuff to hand.

I cut out a paper template to give some idea of size etc

ellie 008.jpg

Then folded in half some litho plate and cut out the shape

ellie 009.jpg

Soldered some old brass tube together

ellie 010.jpg

Rough fit the two

ellie 011.jpg

Epoxy together

ellie 012.jpg

When that goes off tidy around the edges and paint