Electric Sea Fury

Please don't get the wrong idea about this model it really is a nice one to fly and it can be slowed up really nicely. I find 45 degrees of flap works well, 90 degrees is to agressive in my opinion and results in too steep a final approach and flaring timing becomes critical. perhaps the flaps cause turbulent air and mask the elevator a bit??
We are using an 18 x 10 electric prop and going straight to 7000 rpm is going to result in some serious torque effect. If you apply the power slowly and get it on the mains a bit more power and its up, power up some more and THEN climb away. Just let it get speed before you climb. I am usual climbing out at around 1/2 - 2/3 power, power comes right down again at the end of the climb. All pretty normal warbird stuff really......

Cheers
Danny

Thanks Danny I have an expert flyer who flies every model on its Maiden for me.I watch for two or three sessions before attemting myself so I can see what the model does.He will trim and set the rates for me so its comfotable for me to fly.Phil said when he first flew it, it was to responsive for him but his collegue brought it back to about 60% rates and he was fine with it then

• 3 months later...
Jari I haven't tried 10S

But we started on 8S and that flew the model fine, but duration was a little short.Doubling up to 8S2P was going to be too heavy. So we had the bright idea of going up to 12 cells (bigger fuel tank) by switching to 6S2P. We had to change the motor.

10S will certainly work, and in theory give you more duration than our 8S, but you may then have to look at more expensive high voltage ESC etc etc.
Also a lower kV motor will usually be bigger and heavier. 

Thanks Chris!

I have a surplus Kontronik Jazz 55-10-32 so HV esc problem solved.. 42 Volts is max for this esc , 10S LiPo or 11S A123 (12S might be too much, 43.2V..)

100g heavier motor is no problem with this size bird.
 By aiming to same power level as you have with 6S2P I would get around 80% duration of 6s2p with 10s... ?? And if I go with 6s2p route I would have to buy a new esc again.

5 bladed varioprop has also been on my mind , but maybe its better to test out with 2 bladed first.

7s2p anyone?

Welcome Jari, I don't quite undertsand why you would need a diiferent esc if you went 6S2P? You may find that a sufficienlty low kv motor will be more than just a 100g increase. Combine that with the weight of the HV esc you may be at the same as the 6S2p with less duration.  I also used a bec for the retracts, you would need another HV UBEC if you follow that path?

The other thing to watch with the Ramoser props is RPM they are rated to 4800 - 5000
10S certainly is doable though and it will be good to see how you get on

Cheers
Danny

I have costed up a 3 bladed 20" Ramoser for a Hurricane I am building, and for that the propeller it would be 93 Euros. A five blader would be 121 Euros. Don't nose over

You could always make your own..... Must try this prop next year sometime

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/12/2010 17:25:31

• 2 years later...

Well, lots of water has passed under the bridge since my last post here..

The Sea Fury had its maiden flight 2012 summer. Since then it has received larger wheels and new retracts with better struts.

Now I have to fix again the landing gear due bad material on them causing sloppiness.

I installed recently ramoser varioprop 4-blader 16.6". I think I have to get 18" blades , just for better looks. And sound kit because with two blader 18x12 it was much more cool sounding than with 4 blader which does not emit sound at all. And 4 blader is a huge airbrake during approach when milling at low revs.

I painted the Fury with Warbirdcolor paints to resemble reno racer Bad Attitude. Added some graphics and stuff. Modded tail feathers to more scale outline, shortened the nose.

Its a good flier with 2x 4S3000mAh packs in 8S configuration, with 2 blader it climbed straight up but top speed was bit slow due 250kV motor. With 16.6" x14" 4-blader it was faster but not as good static thrust with those hamilton-standard blades.

2013-08-30 14.12.57.jpg

Now its almost unavoidable to buy the sound kit just to enjoy low pass roar..

Edited By Jari Vänttinen on 31/08/2013 17:05:24

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this is an old thread, but just had a play with a Mobius camera nailed to my forehead The Sea Fury is still going strong, and is still a fave model. The lens makes the model seem far away but it does at least stay centre of frame which is what I hoped for.

The 6S 2P A123 cells (apart from one cell that went funny) are the same ones I made up back in June 2008.

The retracts are also still those same old wobbly ones that came in the kit...

10.5 lbs around a kW at full throttle, on an APC 18 x 10 though that is only used for loops.

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 31/05/2016 13:58:28

Shhhhh...... No really, no descending circle, though there is a nasty rumour I might make a more concerted effort next year wink 2 You can blame Andy Sephton for that, he is a very bad influence you know.... wait for the July column to find out just how much he has corrupted me..... (Seriously a really nice guy, and so passionate about aviation)

The Sea Fury is about loving some swooping, diving and rolling about the sky, shame the "cap cam" can't show the grin factor smile p

Cheers

Danny