Flair se5a help needed.

Brent

Does anyone have any of the following

a wing kit for the flair se5a or plans for the model?

An u/c and wheels for it and wing struts?

I recently was given one that needs restoring. the fuse is perfect but at some point the right top and bottom wing has been ripped off the model. someone repaired it but not very well and the repairs have actualy given the top wing wash out and the bottom wing wash in. its missing its u/c and wheels and wing struts. both left wings are fantastic and the wings are built in 3 sections meaning I only have to build to right wing outer panels. thanks for any help or advice guys

Ooh...difficult one!

I would not think anyone would have a spare wing kit, the wheels pop up on ebay occasionally though. Sounds like you would have to build from scratch Brent, dismantling the damaged wing and obtaining an intact rib to work to, and then constructing the RHS wing set.

Or - perhaps you could strip the wings right down again and try and get them back to the original set up (no wash/out/in etc.)

The U/C would need rebuilding also, and depends on your ability to bend 8SWG piano wire! There must be someone who has a set of plans for an SE5a to help you out. Failing that I would look at a side view of an Se5a and design and construct your own U/C.

Not to mention making the wing struts too...

Whereabouts are you?

Edited By Stevo on 25/10/2014 11:20:45

Id also be interested if anyone has a damaged one to sell. Or one needing restoration. I am starting to make a collection of ww1 and ww2 planes so if anyone has a damaged airframes I would definitely be interested if able to post or local. price would depend on how much work it needs.

Stevo im in Barnsley south Yorkshire. all the ribs are intact its the spars that have been spliced in more then one area. the wing ribs don't look original either there solid balsa ribs so im tiping its an early flair kit. its definatly a flair fuselage. also the wing has 2 half ribs between each rib where as the pics iv seen on the net show it has just having full size ribs with lightning holes in. il take some pics later and upload them

I have just returned to hobby and I don't no why but I fancy older models and older designs. problem is half the old models I like the kits are long gone. But I have always had a soft spot for ww2 aircraft. especialy the spitfire hurricane and mustang.

I have got a Flair SE5A which I bought second hand complete with the plans. I can get the plans copied at the local printers in South Croydon at about £ 5 each if required Brent ?---just send me a response and I could get them to you by the end of next week. I will of course need your address via a personal message. People in the past have paid me with cheques for photo-copying, I charge no profit.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 25/10/2014 11:36:04:

I have got a Flair SE5A which I bought second hand complete with the plans. I can get the plans copied at the local printers in South Croydon at about £ 5 each if required Brent ?---just send me a response and I could get them to you by the end of next week. I will of course need your address via a personal message. People in the past have paid me with cheques for photo-copying, I charge no profit.

Photo copy some cheques for me too please!

Haha that's it plummet. im over the moon with the model, thank you and as I said theres going to be a full restoration thread on here so you can follow its progress . I really don't no what to do the fuse covering is in beautiful condition (sig coverall) its just the paints wrinkling up n starting to flake. Going to have to buy some n learn the technique to redo the wings once I have fixed them.

Sorry guys sending pm out soon, had to go pick up my latest win off ebay an aprilia rs125 which is another project in the pipeline. didn't help falling asleep in chair when I got back from picking the bike up but that's chemotherapy for you wipes you out. some days I feel fine n then some days you go from fine to passing out for hours on end due to tiredness. going to upload these photos now im awake again.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/10/2014 10:56:40

Here we go the pics.... as you can see both wings have had some major repairs done to both left up n lower wing panels. both right wing panels are absolutely flawless. Need to find some scale drawings of it so I can try keep it looking scale once I come to adding the detailing and need info on the rigging wires because this model was built with them.

20141025_133118.jpg

20141025_133138.jpg

20141025_133156.jpg

20141025_133215.jpg

20141025_133232.jpg

20141025_133305.jpg

20141025_133355.jpg

20141025_133419.jpg

20141025_133445.jpg

20141025_133538.jpg

20141025_133607.jpg

20141025_133620.jpg

20141025_133632.jpg

20141025_133655.jpg

20141025_133715.jpg

20141025_133726.jpg

20141025_133747.jpg

20141025_133806.jpg

20141025_133837.jpg

20141025_133854.jpg

20141025_133928.jpg

Brent,

See my PM reply.

There are two plans approximately A0 size each , and ten A4 pages of instructions.

I have attached scanned copies of pages 1 an 2 of the instructions -can you read them Brent ?--if so I will scan the other pages, but of course you will need to cross-reference the scanned pages with the plans.  

Mike

001 SE5A instructions.jpg

002 SE5A instructions.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 26/10/2014 13:43:27

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 26/10/2014 13:46:53

It almost looks like the paint has peeled as it's not fuel proof?? I'd be interested to see your findings on Sig Koverall, as I may well use a fair bit of it in the new year.

For the rigging, I highly recommend Stainless steel fishing trace, and Mick Reeves turnbuckles. I've got through 50 so far !!

Although I have yet to fly my second hand SE5A I did note the lack of fuel proofing so I fuel proofed the front end of the plane prior to starting the SC 52 4 stroke motor. I have added more weight to the nose so that the CG is further forward and also re-located the remote glo-plug starter so the cowling can be removed for starting if required. Perhaps next year I will fly it ?----no rigging on mine !

065.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 26/10/2014 20:11:49

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 26/10/2014 20:12:18

That looks in a lot better condition than the models I’ve started out with for rebuild.You should be able to replace the spars and L/E easy enough, if the underlying structure on the nose is o.k. not contaminated with oil, then just cover it with panels of litho plate or plasticard and re-paint, as the rigging is only cosmetic and not structural you can just use nylon fishing line and standard quick links, a lot cheaper. If you need any scale reference material I have a fair bit on file.

RS 125 , going to build a Rossi rep??

imga0449.jpg

nylon fishing line and q-links on my Flair Legioaire

my other Legionaire nylon again

and on my scratch built camel

Wow the camel looks lovely indeed. The rs im not sure about. first things first need to assemble it to find out whats missing apart from the engine and exhaust so there will be a list of things to buy before I get round to paintwork haha.

That's something I wanted to find out about with the se5a some pictures show riveting near the front cabanes and I was also wondering I may get away with removing the paint and adding some plating. the wood work and covering is spot on it just seems the paints gave up ghost after many years of service