Retrospective shed thread

reg shaw

After finishing my house (are these things ever finished??) I started to concentrate on a workshop to replace my 'temporary' one that lasted 12 good years. I did a thread on another site, before I got involved with this great site so i thought I'd bore you lot with a brief thread on the trails and tribulations of my first and last custom built den.

The building itself dates back to 1730, not that you'd tell from the nasty up and over doors that fall off their tracks at every opportunity.

dscf5931.jpg

This was re roofed when we moved on site 13 years ago or so, then used to store building materials and my old Austin, which was 'cocooned' for the time as we were too busy to play with it. Once the house was sorted, the garages were emptied and the plan to move my workshop was hatched.

dscf1163.jpg

dscf1165.jpg

Its quite a big space which soon fills up when you park a car and its associated gubbins in there. The walls are a combination of 9" and 14" solid brickwork, with no insulation. The concrete floor was layed before we were there, investigation showed that it had a damp proofer but no insulation. The plan was to build a dividing wall inside, building den on one side, model and car storage on tuther. The building side would be dry lined, insulated, boarded and plastered. Heres a couple of pics of that going in. Before this was done, the first fix for power and lighting was installed.

dscf1215.jpg

dscf1250.jpg

dscf1256.jpg

Here's the partition wall boarded. It has a window in it for no other reason than it is an old piece of glass that dates back to the early 1700's and was mentioned in an archeological report we ha to have done when we started work on the site. The glass was in a partition in the stable bit of the main building, we managed to keep its original frame too, winner!!

More in a bit

Ian.

dscf1281.jpg

Edited By reg shaw on 09/11/2014 21:05:34

Before I could finish the lining of the walls, I had to rip out the knackered up and over doors. I decided the cheapest option for me would be to buy a second hand set of doors for storage end, then make a set to match for the 'posh' end. The old doors came from good old ebay in the form of a brilliant set of round the corner jobbies, dated 1940. These came out of the garage attached to a 1930's semi, the chap who owned the house was having a modern electric job and thought he'd try and see if anyone wanted them as he'd looked after them all their life but now didn't want the manual slide. I got everything apart from the bottom track, for some reason he seemed reluctant to let me dig up the floor of his garage!! Here they are before removal. Beauties huh?

$t2ec16rhjh8e9qsevn2bbrcsu1q8tq~~60_57.jpg

So now I have the set for one end, I had to make a set to match. These would only be three sections, with one on the right as an opener, the other two as a bi fold from the other end. They are a fair copy of the originals but I couldn't find the matching glass for under £100 a metre as it isn't made in that pattern any more. The opening in the old door end needed to be widened by about 2 feet, the other sides width matched a three section door perfectly.

dscf1499.jpg

dscf1546.jpg

dscf1632.jpg

dscf1637.jpg

dscf1641.jpg

The old doors could wait a bit longer till fitting as there was more pressing matters afoot. Finishing the boarding went smoothly, I even remembered to run in an airline for spraying in the building end, the compressor planned to be in the other end of the building.

dscf1659.jpg

dscf1662.jpg

dscf1666.jpg

Then onto the plastering...... messy!

dscf1446.jpg

dscf1450.jpg

I picked away, 2 surfaces a night and it was soon over, pleasurable, but over and the second fix electrics could be installed and powered up, a monumental occasion and one which saw the den filling up sooner than I wanted as I now had wing racks!

dscf1697.jpg

dscf1717.jpg

dscf1731.jpg

After the plaster had dried completely, it was painted with the thinned down cat, then a couple of proper coats and the finish is bright, a bit too bright to honest, but it soon got toned down by the junk I crammed into it!! Connected up the airlines, started to move stuff in and it was on to the next big job, the doors on the other side.

dscf1881.jpg

dscf1898.jpg

First job was to work out the position of the doors. Easy job would be to cut about 10" out each side as this would allow the original wooden lintle to be kept above as it was plenty long enough to still be longer than needed. This would however not make best use of space as there would be a dead area behind the opened doors that would not be wide enough to be of use. In the end I chopped the lot out of the left side, propping up the roof while a new longer timber was installed. This would allow the doors to open along the front of a workbench and compressor cupboard, making the most of the space and allowing all the car stuff to be stored above and below the bench. Out with a disc cutter and a huge amount of mess was made. The doors were then hung and the tracking made up, along with is supports etc. This took a fair bit of trial and error as the floor isn't level, it slopes up as you walk in, not much but not ideal for rolling 10ft door round.

dscf1890.jpg

dscf1894.jpg

dscf1905.jpg

dscf1902.jpg

dscf1903.jpg

dscf2167.jpg

dscf2168.jpg

dscf2502.jpg

Edited By reg shaw on 09/11/2014 22:49:59

Thanks Davidyes

Its a nice workshop for sure and should do me well, its pleasing to know I did it myself and on a limited budget, pretty much like my house. Downside was the 9 years of living in a caravan whilst doing it!

Wiltshire Flyer, the model that snook into the first pic is a 1/4 scale Vickers Wellington, that resides in the storage end with a swinging wall mounted boom just above it that holds the HP42 (the silver airliner in another pic) for minimal space usage.

wellington.jpg

dscf1900.jpg

dscf1847.jpg

I still have to finish the workbench behind the sliding doors, but the storage in the roof of the storage end is sorted, using carbon tent tubes and plastic water pipe for rollers and foam insulation for less hangar rash. I dread the day when I need to empty it all to clean and paint the brick wallsdisgust It'll be worth it though but I reckon it'll have to wait til summer!

Ian.

Edited By reg shaw on 10/11/2014 18:33:08

• 2 weeks later...

The storage are is getting a bit more organised, the bench behind the open doors is in and the car stuff stored above and below, with drill, grinder, engineers vice and other oily things. The model storage is always an issue, things of different shapes and sizes. The biggest stuff on the floor, with others on the swinging boom above. This way the flyable stuff can be 'got at' easily enough.

As you can see, I like a few projects around the place, to pick away at as and when, though of late I haven't had much time to do any of it as I've been doing the missus' workshop. The swinging bracket is welded up from angle and flat bar, and is substantially screwed to a strong point built into the stud wall. It can take the weight of me sat half way down it so it'll be good for holding toy aeroplanes up. The HP42 is 36kg and the Flea is 19kg, albeit with their wings on though!! I'm working my way through, filtering out the bits I don't want and the bits I do, the last bit to sort out is in the corner behind the car. I'd love to paint the walls but worry of it flaking off, has anyone got any suggestions?

Ian.

dscf3418.jpg

dscf3419.jpg

dscf3420.jpg

dscf3422.jpg

dscf3427.jpg

I doubt I'd get plasterboard to stick to the walls without issues Tony. I'd have to batten, board than plaster. If I did all that work, I may as well insulate too. Canny afford that on this side. It isn't damp at all just could look tidier though. In the summer I intend emptying it all, brushing the walls down and painting if I can find a certain solution that won't flake off. I do like the idea of painted or even cleaned bricks though. I could just cram some more junk in there and hide the untidy walls, which is probably what will happen anyway!

Ian.

I do like the idea of scrubbed bricks, but the condition of some of them aint brill, so a whitewashing I may go. Next project could be any of them, that Grumman Albatross flying boat would be nice but there are a couple of a mates I need to get done first. I like projects as you know mate, currently have about 9 non flying 'projects' of one shape or another, be they kits, refurbs etc.

Ian.

Hello Ian,

It's been great seeing how you've renovated your workshop, the work on the doors is really good. Some nice ideas on there for storage aswell, like the Drain Pipes, I wish I could plaster like you, whenever I've tried, I end up with more on the floor than the wall. Would a sealing coat of thinned PVA help to stop the flaking on the walls, before you paint them? Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Kieran.

p.s. How's the Flea? looked great in the photo's in the mag.