Retrospective shed thread

reg shaw

Hi Kieran, the PVA thing would work as its very similar to the UniBond stuff for the job, though I guess Pva would whiten and perhaps loosen if subjected to moisture. The Fleas are going great, had some great flights with them, some of them in perfect conditions which helps the little creatures greatly!!

Ian.

• 1 year later...
Advert

Hi folks, long time no post! Reason being that since I did the perfect workshop (for me anyway!) I ended up moving house so had to start all over again! The house we bought had no workshop space whatsoever, so all of our workshop stuff had to go into the house with us until we built the new caves!! The house is a Victorian Railway house, built by North Stafford Railway in 1846. So, with the railway theme in mind, the new shed was to be a wriggly tin, curved roof jobbie, copying a railway workshop of the period as its of great importance to us that it 'fits' in with the surroundings. The shed is now all but finished so I thought I'd show some pics if anyones interested?

Ian.

Cheers mate! Here are the first lot then. Starting from a scraped off surface, the shed has to be no more than 30 sq m footprint to stay under out of the clutches of the planners, no more than 4m high. I went for 4m x 7.5m finished, so the pad is slightly smaller to allow for the overhang of the sheets. Shed wasn't even there yet and the imaginary workshop was filling up with models already!! We picked the keys up to the house on Christmas eve 2015 and first job was to install new drainage and sewer system, plus a new water supply, so the shed work didn't start til mid June 2016.

Ian.

dscf4595.jpg

dscf4706.jpg

dscf4719.jpg

dscf4732.jpg

dscf4743.jpg

Edited By reg shaw on 22/11/2016 22:07:42

The timber structure was next, the whole shed being based around two of the truss frames and the two ends. The timbers are all bolted together with timber connectors and steel plates, also bolted to the concrete base. The timbers inside of the membrane is untreated, outside the membrane is tanalised. The frame is also sat on lead pads so the ends of the timbers are protected from any damp, not that there should be any but I might spill summat!!

dscf4837.jpg

dscf4842.jpg

dscf4859.jpg

dscf4873.jpg

dscf4876.jpg

dscf4878.jpg

dscf4886.jpg

dscf4887.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/11/2016 22:27:50:

I don't know how much flying Reg's been doing, but he's done well to land that on there face 1

I agree...he must have won the club spot landing competition nerd

BTW, that some serious wood work, very impressiveyes

Edited By cymaz on 22/11/2016 22:34:50

The tin sheeting was supplied by a company in Leominster who were blooming marvellous to deal with, a very good price, the sheets were the perfect length and more importantly the right radius for the roof. I gave them a radius measurement and they kindly confirmed it before they bent any sheets.

dscf4890.jpg

dscf4915.jpg

dscf4921.jpg

dscf4930.jpg

dscf4934.jpg

Forgot to mention in the first pics, the white box on a stick is the main power board for the shed and the sewage pumping station which was installed 2 months before the existance of the shed it goes in, hence the heath robinson waterproofing!! Shed was insulated with rockwool and then clad internally with some tongue and groove timber. Looks a bit Swedish sauna like but it aint that orange really!! I may yet paint it internally in North Stafford Railway colours, a la signal box internals, but that'll wait as the shed is now full!

dscf4986.jpg

dscf4995.jpg

dscf5010.jpg

dscf5036.jpg

dscf5047.jpg

That saw the tin sheeting finished, all corner edging fitted and window edges sorted. Window frames made next and a side door would see the outside done after the addition of a couple of railway style lights. These were a bargain, bought off ebay as street lights to be mounted on lampposts, but we made up some brackets and modified them to fit the shed. All internal cladding done, powered up with plenty of lights and sockets. The floor was screeded as the first lot flaked off so badly (another story!) and then painted. This brings us up to date so this weekend see's the workshop hopefully populated with the gubbins and stuff that has resided in every part of the house for the last 9 months!!

dscf5027.jpg

dscf5301.jpg

dscf5335.jpg

dscf5339.jpg

dscf5345.jpg

Cheers Steve, its a bit shiny at the moment, but the plan is to bitumen the outsides so it'll look much better then! Here's a few more pics of just how quick the shed fills up, some careful planning of where what goes is required!! The HP42 sits on a 'jib' type affair so it can be lifted on and swung round to sit over the Wellington. This jib was 'recycled' from the old new workshop and I'll probably shorten it somewhat eventually as it will only hold one model, it held two or three last time. The truss structure has worked out great for storage, plus I deliberately left some of the bolts long so I could hang things off them too, Shame to hide the trusses with toy aeroplanes really!!

Ian.

dscf5350.jpg

dscf5371.jpg

dscf5359.jpg

dscf5351.jpg

dscf5355.jpg

Cheers Mike, the floor was hand trowelled concrete, then a hand layed screed, then painted with an epoxy lab paint, rollered on. Don't worry about a mezzanine, by the time its filled up there wouldn't be space!! The rule is, projects I may never get round to up top, the lower they get the more likely I'll do them!!

Ian.

Posted by cymaz on 23/11/2016 06:22:00:

She is a beauty ! You must be chuffed. Does it take much to heat it with the high roof ?

To be honest I don't know yet! There is no heating in there at the moment and anyone who's visited has asked where the heating is as it is noticabley much warmer than outside. Its fairly draught free and well insulated so the plan is one of those oil filled leccy radiators will be enough. I originally did plan on having a wood burner in there but never bothered due to time constraints.

Ian.

The plan all along was to build something that looked fitting for the railway house and its surroundings, but that was good enough inside for many uses and something that should add value to the house too. Externally though, I ideally want it to look like something that has been there for years that has been refurbed or re skinned etc. I drew up an 'old style' makers plate for the outside which I'll get printed onto metal, enamel sign style but I'll not do that til the tin has been given the black bitumen treatment. Doors, windows and the lamps to be painted dark red and cream in the North Stafford Railway colours.

Ian.