2.4Ghz radios

fly boy3

Advert

Early Spektrums used simple DSM, one channel. DSM is digital spectrum modulation, Spektrums proprietary name for their implementation of direct sequence spread-spectrum modulation (DSSS).   The name "Spektrum" causes some confusion when talking acronyms and protocols in a spread spectrum environment.
To add some resislience they came up with DSM2 which is DSM over two channels, ie the same data is sent on one channel then repeated on another. The channels are chosen at switch-on time according to band occupancy. These are not channels in the 35mhz sense of channels - DSM is wideband, a channel is the centre of an area of the spectrum, and the data is spread right across the breadth of the channel.

This selection of two channels is not very clever as band occupancy can change at any time during a flight and once chosen, the two channels were fixed. It could be said that DSM and DSM2 do not actually comply with regulation requirements but Spektrum managed to convince the authorities that DSM2 was a multi-frequency system.  (Incidentally, FASST no longer complies either)

As a result of this and customer demand, Spektrum added hopping to their DSM2, calling their new protocol DSMX.

[/Nutshell]

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 22/11/2014 14:19:48

Anything new will be DSMX and therefore DSM2 compatible. I cant help with choice cos I'm not a Spektrum fan!

OrangeRx DSM2 receivers have always been good, their first DSMX implementation had one or two bad reports but some time ago they announced their 'new' dsmx implementation which is supposedly spot on.

What a lot of people do is to 'prove' a new receiver in a foamy before committing anything nice.

Others just insist on OEM receivers, depends on your budget. A Spekky user will be of more help, sorry.

Cheers
Phil

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer, ie, Spektrum brand products. Orange produce Rx's using both DSMX and DSM2 protocol which can be used with Spektrum or Orange DSMX or DSM2 Tx's. LemonRC also produce DSMX and DSM2 Rx's and have just released a compatible telemetry module. I believe Orange are going the same way.

Spekky Rx's work fine, as do both of the others, in my experience. In the end, for the average flyer, it really comes down to choice and budget...

Pete

Hi Simon, thanks for the gen. After Xmas hope to buy DX6i with orange receiver. As Pete says, choice and budget. Thanks Pete. Orange receivers are getting better publicity now than when they first came out. Phil's idea of testing them out in a foamy is a good one, don,t own a foamy, but I have a few hacks I could use. Thanks all. One more question, if I may, The DSi6 comes in mode 1and 2, I think. what sort of a job is it to change gimbals if required. Cheers

Posted by Phil Green on 22/11/2014 15:24:15:

... I cant help with choice cos I'm not a Spektrum fan!

Having said that, the single-channel Gem transmitter in the avatar is Spektrum, it uses the RF board from a DM9 module! That particular Sharkface has been a reliable S/C hack for well over 4 years now. Has an OrangeRx R610 receiver.

Posted by Phil Green on 22/11/2014 11:56:55:

...................... (Incidentally, FASST no longer complies either)..........................

Cheers
Phil

Is this the requirement in the new European 2.4gHz regs for 2015 that requires all NEW devices to listen before transmitting of which you speak? It will still be legal to use existing equipement you just will not be able to buy any new. Or, is there something else?

I'd check with the retailer first, fb3. I'd prefer to get the correct mode to start with, personally - saves any arguments later.

If you're browsing for a deal, I've just Googled 'dx6i mode 1 UK' and near the top of the list was SMC, who look as if they have both modes at what seems a pretty good price to me.

As you are probably aware, the DX6i has been rather overtaken by the new DX6 G2, so if you were looking for something a little more current and a lot more features, it may be worth a look...

Pete

Found a thread on here about mode changing....

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/11/2014 21:04:25

Since the instructions to do it are in the manual, you could probably get the vendor to change the modes for you especialy since the DX6i is being sold at a discounted price by several retailers. Again ref the instruction manual I don't see that there should be any impact on the warranty.

Posted by GONZO on 22/11/2014 19:14:00:
Posted by Phil Green on 22/11/2014 11:56:55:

...................... (Incidentally, FASST no longer complies either)..........................

Cheers
Phil

Is this the requirement in the new European 2.4gHz regs for 2015 that requires all NEW devices to listen before transmitting of which you speak? It will still be legal to use existing equipement you just will not be able to buy any new. Or, is there something else?

Most spread-spectrum transmitters have a very low duty cycle but the problem is that FASST has a huge medium utilization (Mu) of 25%, exceeding by quite a margin the 2015 EN300328 1.8.1 regs when they are applied. Heres the final draft document:
**LINK**