Best electric trainer to learn with.

Ally Blackley

Whats your thoughts on this, I'm going to go down the road of buying a Spektrum D6i so I'm looking for a good sturdy easy to fly trainer with wheels as I don't want to learn with belly landings, I would like to practice proper take off's aswell.

So I'm thinking I'll be wanting a PNF Model, any ideas on the best learner out there, budget is around £130 for the Plane.

I will look in to all suggestions.

Ally.

Advert

Some of our novice fliers have been having great results with the E-Flite Apprentice.
The safe technology and 'panic' button has its benefits but be careful of it becomming a crutch.
The model is not eligible to be used for the BMFA A certificate with this technology operable.
If you prefer something a little more traditional, the Seagull E-Pioneer is a good steady trainer but involves some minimal building.

Andy Ellison

I have a DX6i and its used with an E-Pioneer - great Trainer. There is a lot of information in the forum on the E-Pio and I think at least 2 articles in past issues of RCM&E. The E-Pio will take you through an 'A' cert and beyond if that is your intention.

Both the apprentice and a e-pioneer are great planes, for an absolute beginner I would tend to steer them towards the Apprentice as it has foam wings so will with stand the bumps of learning while the film of the e-pioneer can be ripped and because of the very pretty colour scheme its a major PIA to patch

As for taking the A cert on, either will do for the Apprentice you may have to change the RX to a non-SAFE tech to prove to the examiner there is no stabilisation at work though

I think I'm probably leaning towards EPO Foam as a starter, I've been looking at the Max Thrust J3 Cub PNP With a wingspan of 1400 mm.

Me being a complete beginer I would prefer something like this Rather than having to order a plane and motor etc and more than likely getting confused although I do like the look of the Seagull E- Pioneer, I guess I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible just now.

For a PNP/PNF model I dont think you can beat the Century Riot . Its foam but strong and has enough weight to handle blustery weather . Cost £139-99 comes with servos motor and ESC . Just need your Rx /Tx and battery to fly.

If you have radio gear then an air frame only is available for £89-99

LINK

I have helped many newcomers to the hobby over the years with all sorts of models but for convenience and simplicity this is the best so far . There is also a comprehensive spares backup if needed .

I will admit, if you are a complete, beginner (I had done quite a lot of building) the E Pioneer is not ideal. Mine came with motor, esc, servos etc, but having followed the instructions to the letter, when I first struck it up the esc smoked within seconds and the motor actually burnt my fingers when I touched it. Esc, battery and motor as recommended were not compatible. Expensive mistake, although it wasn't really my mistake was it. I got the correct esc, motor and battery after posting on here for help. This forum is pretty much my lifeline most of the time, enjoy the banter old chap!

Posted by Engine Doctor on 03/12/2014 14:49:34:

For a PNP/PNF model I dont think you can beat the Century Riot . Its foam but strong and has enough weight to handle blustery weather . Cost £139-99 comes with servos motor and ESC . Just need your Rx /Tx and battery to fly.

If you have radio gear then an air frame only is available for £89-99

LINK

I have helped many newcomers to the hobby over the years with all sorts of models but for convenience and simplicity this is the best so far . There is also a comprehensive spares backup if needed .

I just saw another one £15.00 cheaper, this has got me thinking thanks.

Link

Keep the ideas coming though.

And to keep costs down, an orange DSM2 6 channel receiver will do the job, cheap 20C lipo to power it, and anything in the recommended range of capacity. You will be knackered before the battery runs flat. If you decide to go for the flap option, get an experienced flyer to trim it. Without flaps you should get an experienced flyer to trim it. If you break it, replace it with an airframe only kit, and change the bits over to the new airframe.

Does the Riot have any dihedral? Doesn't look like it in the photos? If that's right it wont self right when left to do to its own thing or will it??

Which ever you choose, my advise would pick an airframe that:

is at least 48" (bigger easier to see and keep orientation)

One that has spares readily available

Tricycle undercarriage (though where you intend to fly from may prohibit that choice)

slow flying (More thinking time)

Anti tip stall wings (Less chance of landing on a wing tip when making final turn at too low a speed)

Cheap (cos "What goes up must comes down, where, which way up and how fast is the learning curve!!)

E-Pioneer - When I first flew mine, using the recommended motor **LINK**

on 3S it barely had the legs to get off the ground, going up to a 4S and it was startlingly rapid for a trainer but a very nice flyer just the same