RCM&E beginner's series

Graham Ashby 123

I’m about to start writing a new series on learning to fly helicopters (including tips, techniques etc.,) and wondered if anyone had any views on what they think should be included. My introduction to helis was only a few years ago so the whole process is still very fresh in my mind, however, instead of covering just the obvious elements, lessons and pitfalls, it would be great if I could broaden the spectrum a bit and make the piece more comprehensive. So guys, if there was any one thing you found particularly difficult to crack when learning to fly helicopters, a gem of information that someone passed on, or a simple gadget that got you going quicker, I’d be delighted to hear about it with a view to passing the information on via the magazine. It can only make for a series that’ll be more beneficial overall.

Hi Graham.
I set up and started flying a raptor 30 about 14 months ago.I have been flying fixed wing for many years and this may have helped me. I found this web site http://www.raptortechnique.com/ and this helped me set up and fly raptors on my own.
A very good site if like me at the time, you fly as a country member and cannot obtain help at a club.
If you have not already, have a look and see what you think.
Kind Regards Trevor

Hi Graham
I was very impressed by your original articles, especially on the Piccolo. (I hope I am right in ascribing these to you!)
I wondeer whether you could let me have the dates of the original series please? I have been trying to locate them in my collection of RCME, having subscribed for many years, to no avail. Perhaps tidying up the boxws would help!
I look forward to another starting up series on this subject by yourself, having recently been given a Piccolo type chopper!

Thank you all for your continued suggestions. Richard, I reviewed the Piccolo when it first came out and we also published one or two follow-up articles. As for the first series: It began in February 2000 (heck was it really that long ago?) and appeared in April, July and October of that year, plus March, July and December of 2001. Hope that helps.

Hi Graham,
Glad you are doing a beginners series for helicopters. I sure need it. I have been learning now for 2 years and have just mastered hovering and tracking sideways with my Twister.I currently have a "Twister Expert" and a Shuttle. Shuttle flown 3 times 8" from ground. Twister indoors every Friday and alternate Sundays indoors. Had quite a few 'incidents' and a lot of help from experienced pilots. I started with a "Humming Bird CP" fitted with the auto rotation upgrade. Had a lot of problems. My theory ( backed up with observations of other people with same/similar models) is that heli's with TWO electric motors served by one battery are more unstable, due to the delay involved with sharing power to two motors.Input command to one motor robs the other causing instability and the need for constant controlling compensation. I changed to a DRIVEN tail rotor ( in my case a shaft drive) and my skill level improved dramatically. If you are already good at flying rotary wing then this causes no problems, nut I think it causes more trouble for the beginner. I have posted a thread showing a camera under the "Twister" elsewhere, demonstrating my current skill level, thanks to the "Twister". I have made CHEAP training undercarriages for both the "Twister" and the "Shuttle" will post pics in the gallery. Both items cost about £2-00 each. Made from garden canes (short parralel versions), a small hoola hoop and practice golf balls.
I look forward to your articles. Please mention safety when setting up. My "Twister" headed off for pastures new setting up radio gear before first flight. Result a very damaged model and a fright for myself and my friend.

Nice to hear from you Brian. I've always believed indoor helicopters to be harder to fly than the larger outdoor machines so if I were you I'd get out more with that Shuttle. You'll probably find that you progress ever quicker. Anyway, keep it up, it really doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you're making some progress and enjoying it. Fear not, safety will be an important part of the series.

Hi Graham,
Great news about the new series, I bought a raptor 12 months ago and haven't looked back since. The best piece of advice i could give anyone starting out is to buy the best simulator you can afford that is compatible with your Tx and spend as much waking time on it as possible before trying it for real.
Setting up the engine is quite a challenge to those not in the know.
I look forward to reading the new section.

Hi Graham, I would have to agree with you there. My kids bought me a Sabre, which i fitted with extreme skids ( very good ).
It helped me no end being able to practice with it outside and in, although the paint work took a bit of a battering to start with.
I would also recommend going to a professional place, we have ATS and Paul Heckles both local, to get your heli and TX set up correctly. They may cost a few quid but at least you know that everything is set up right and after a test flight you know what your heli can do in the right hands aswell. Worth every penny in my eyes.

How about a writeup on the basics of model helicoptor flying?? Like when they take off they tend to drift left and the nose goes to the right? And you have to be ready to correct it. The setting up of Helis would be great as well! They take a fair amount of setting up compared to planes I have found, and they need to be pretty much perfect to be able to fly, for a beginner at least.

As someone who decided to give helis a try after many years flying stiff wings, I find that the planes always get left at home now, so I guess I am well and truly converted. I have progressed to basic (ropey)aeros, and thoroughly enjoy the challenge presented by helicopters, however, I would like to see articles on;

aerobatics - how to fly them and how to set up the helicopter.

Gyros - I still lack a decent knowledge of how to set up and get the most out of my gyro.

Transmitter setup, especially curves.

Any advice on improving confidence. I regularly go for weeks at a time without being able to fly, and spend most of my time trying to build up the confidence levels - and whilst they are very good, sims do not really help me with this aspect of my flying.

I think interest in helicopters is growing rapidly and a series of articles such as you propose would be very welcome

• 2 weeks later...
Graham,

Two things spring to mind that don't seem to have been mentioned so far that I have found essential.

The first is to get the heli set up for you. Many shops offer this as part of a deal and then at least you know the heli can fly. Even if you have to pay the cost should be offset by not crashing! Then carefully measure and record all the pitch settings and rotor speed etc incase you have to do a rebuild or want to change things as you progress.

The second is use one of the excellent RC simulators available to practice. When it all goes wrong a touch of a button has you flying again in seconds, unlike real life.

I've "painted" a simulator model to look like mine and used it to lead me onto the next stage. Initially when learning to hover then the translation into forward flight and now I'm practicing nose ins on the sim before I try it for real!

Hi Paul,

Yes, I couldn't agree more about getting your first helicopter set up for you and recording the data. One of my tips here would be to copy the initial set-up data from one model memory into a spare one. Then, at least, if you tweak it and mess things up you can always go back to the original set-up.

Again, simulator practise has to be beneficial. Interesting that you learned to fly circuits before nose in! I did the same. although having done so, my recommendation now is to learn the nose-in bit first.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Graham,

Glad to hear you've decided to write the new series. There is no doubt that helicopters are one of the fastest growing markets in R/C today.

As for suggestions for the article, I'd recommend that you give suggestions in several price brackets. While I agree that the best to begin with would be a 30 size (the power to weight ratio being less than a 50 forces the student to learn better collective management, but the size makes it stable enough for beginners) I feel it is important to cover those who have decided to try helicopters, but may not necessarily have the budget for to go for a larger model to begin with.

Also, it would be good to indicate what models they could fly with their existing equipment i.e. I was able to purchase a Lama V3 without the TX, as I could use it with my Futaba 6EXA. The only thing I needed to get was a single conversion RX crystal to suit my TX. There are even CCPM modules that can be plugged into the RX to allow the control of a CCPM helicopter with a standard airplane TX, this would significantly decrease the initial outlay for a beginner who doesn't have a helicopter TX. I believe low-cost alternative options would help more people to give heli flying a try.

Hope you find these suggestions useful! Good luck with the article, and the magazine!

regards,

Khairul

Thanks Khairul, yes I agree, the emphasis on which machine to choose when learning to fly helicopters has swung a bit in recent years. In the old days it was a 30-size i.c. machine or nothing. Now, of course, the beginner can start the learning process at a variety of different levels and with varying degrees of financial commitment. That said, I don't think I'll be suggesting that anyone start at Picoo Z level… fun as they are!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Graham,

Yeah, Thats sounds good to me something to read when the nights are long and its dark by the time we all get home from work.
Looking forward to it very much.

Are you going to do the whole range from electrics, glow, gassers to turbines?