DX9 with a max thrust riot issue

Craig Thomas

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help. I've got a maxthrust riot and a dx9. I've never had any issues before. But yesterday I went down the field, turned transmitter on, plugger battery in and there was an issue. The speed controller started to sing as normal, but then just continues beeping. I have full control of all servos but no throttle. Just a connstant beep that chirps every second or so. I had this when I first got the transmitter and bound to the plane. But after a bit of messing I got it working. Can't remember what I done but think it was one of the trims.

I tried re binding the transmitter but no change. Just a constant beeping from the esc. I don't think it's an issue with the esc as it was working fine last week. Flex my acro wot with the same transmitter with no issues. I think it may be somthing I've done? Has anyone ever encountered this or have an idea what the issue is?

Hi Craig

While trying to get the ESC/motor to work - take the prop off, otherwise an unexpected start of the motor could be dangerous.

Once that's done, try going as low as you can with throttle trim. See if that stops the beeping and gets it working.

If that doesn't work, then try reversing the throttle channel - definitely with the prop off !

It sounds like you need to calibrate the ESC.

With the prop removed....

Turn on the transmitter and set throttle trim all the way down and put the stick to maximum (full up).

Connect the LiPo battery. You will hear a musical tone then two beeps.

After the two beeps, quickly lower the throttle stick to full down. Do this before the longer tune that would indicate the ESC going in to programming mode.

You will then hear a number of beeps (one for each battery cell you're using) and finally a single long beep indicating the end points have been set and the ESC is calibrated.

Disconnect battery.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 18/12/2014 20:14:36

It's nothing to do with binding, Craig - the Rx is working fine as is proved with the servos working. The ESC needs to be taught the throttle range, as described above. It is a safety feature of ESCs that they will not arm until the throttle stick is at its lowest setting - and until it learns the lowest setting, it will not arm.

Pete

Right guys. But more info. I've tried setting throttle positions. Ie tranny on with full throttle and trims down. Plugged battery in and still the same. Plays a little tune with 3 times and then a repetitive single beep every second or so. Can't seem to get it in to programming mode? Am I doing somthing wrong or is there a real problem with equipment?

The problem is that different ESCs can have different tones and musical sequences, so what will work for one may not for another. I'm assuming your ESC is the Century 40A ESC supplied with the model. If so, I've found what seems to be the ESC manual here if you do not have a copy and the throttle setting instructions are as follows:

4. THROTTLE SETTING INSTRCTIONS:
Throttle setting is only used for using ESC first time or using ESC match new transmitter, it is not necessory to set up this item.
A. Turn on transmitter, move the throttle stick to the top point, switch on ESC power.
B. There is “di---” sound on brushless motor, when ESC is connected up.
C. Wait for 2 seconds, then brushless motor will utter “di---di---” when the throttle reaches the top point.
D. Move the throttle stick to the low point.
E. Wait for 1 second, then brushless motor will utter “di---”, when the throttle reaches the low point.
F.When brushless motor utters“di---di---di------di”,when all ready.
G. Then you can use ESC.

Give that a try and let us know.....thumbs up

Pete

ps the ESC should look like this, all being wellsmile

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/12/2014 22:20:22

We had a spot of hassle with a Riot used for training, although this was a slightly different MO. The motor would just occasionally stop and start in mid flight and in a completely random manner. I thought at first it was indeed the motor that was faulty, but a substitution check proved it to be the ESC. I emailed Century with the exact details and they instantly replaced it FOC, the new item was back the next day. It also cured the fault.

I’ve found that substitution is often the quickest way of finding these gremlins, and it sounds to me as though your aggravator isn’t going away any time soon. But I also do appreciate that’s very easy to say when I’ve got some odd kit just lying around, such as two Riots for a start. When things like this happen for no apparent reason I’d tend to think maybe something has gone a bit u/s. Although I might just try swapping the throttle servo over with one of the others, just to make sure that the throttle stick/channel is actually operating and hasn’t become isolated in some way. Or even checking for the right memory, perhaps…

Good luck.

PB

Hi Craig. It sounds more like the esc has failed especially if you has done nothing between flights. Can you not substitute a known working esc into the Riot ? this is the simplest way of determining a fault. It matters not what value it is . You are just trying to evaluate the one in the Riot. I also fly a Riot on a DX9 and it has almost 200 flights now but all the time in my club esc`s fail at the field or never work at all on new models, especially HK !!

Colin

Thanks for all the reply guys. Sadly though retrying another speed controller is not an option as I don't have another. The best way I can discribe the tune sound on start up is 3 beeps that increase in pitch, this is the sound it used to make in start up but then it used to beep 3 times for the lipo cells then be ready to work. I've tried the idea of throttle up and then plug in battery but beeps remain the same no matter what the throttle position so am unable to get it into program mode? I'll have another play tomorrow and go through the instruction manual kindly supplied by Pete B and will keep you posted. But I'm starting to thing it's time for a new esc? If all alar fails I'll take it to kings lynn models and ask them for advice? If I need a new esc I might as well get a better motor for a bit more power?

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess? 😄

Hi Craig, I concur with whats been said, but you must follow the process exactly, ie

take the prop off
switch on tx
set tx throttle trim to centre
set tx throttle stick to full
plug in lipo
Wait for "diddle-it" tones to finish
Immediately close the throttle, don't touch the trim
wait for 3 pips (for 3S)
done.

Its extremely unlikely the ESC is bad. The pips themselves confirm the drive electronics to the motor are ok.
A others have said, it is nothing whatever to do with binding.
Cheers
Phil

PS put prop back on before take-off wink

Edited By Phil Green on 18/12/2014 23:10:25

Little update guys. Today I have put a servo in the throttle channel to make sure all is well and it works fine. Servo operated as it should. So I then tried to follow instruction and set stick position end points and still nothing. Just the little tune when I plug the battery in and then the constant beep.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Like i said. It all worked fine last week. I've not done anything else to the plane?

The last landing I had was nice and smooth so nothing could have really gone wrong there?

Posted by Mark a on 19/12/2014 19:13:38:

Silly question but is the battery charged ?

Not a silly question. The simple things are often the cause, but not in this case. I've fully charged all my lipos and tried them all. Will check the wire conections. Ive checked the motor conections and all is correct. I'm at a little bit of a loss to be honest.

Well, I've just been and tried the wiring. All conections are good. Even tried binding it to my old trusty dx6i.

Still the same issue which leads me to think it can only be the esc?

Strange how it's just gave up the ghost like it has. It's not got wet, hot or been bashed? I got it it Maybthis year, would it still be under warranty?

You might try sending Century a friendly sort of email, Craig, explaining what’s occurring, I’m sure they will understand the fault, whatever it is; and then as they did with us, they might agree to send you a new one. You certainly can’t lose anything by it at least …

Electronic equipment does sometimes fail on switch on. You’re unlikely to make it malfunction in a crash, a knock won’t hurt it unless it’s physically damaged. But judging from the number of failures overall that I’ve seen in the past it’s possible the quality control may have been missing a few checks here and there, although that may now be improving. Good quality solid state kit these days is ultra reliable and can also operate for a very long time. Taking a simple linear voltage regulator that costs only a few pence as an example, short of a close encounter with a hammer, or a deliberate high voltage overload, forward or reversed, you cannot break it……and it will probably tick away doing it’s thing almost to infinity.

As I’ve said before, being cynical, I often wonder if the model trade in general is probably not that much concerned about the odd mishap or many…

Good luck.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 19/12/2014 21:57:22

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 19/12/2014 17:50:00:

Little update guys. Today I have put a servo in the throttle channel to make sure all is well and it works fine. Servo operated as it should. So I then tried to follow instruction and set stick position end points and still nothing. Just the little tune when I plug the battery in and then the constant beep.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Like i said. It all worked fine last week. I've not done anything else to the plane?

The last landing I had was nice and smooth so nothing could have really gone wrong there?

For your problem, a servo tester is not particularly helpful because a servo tester will give a full range of possible servo movement. The Spetrum transmitters limit the full range to about 80% of possible travel, which they call 100%. This is why you are able to extend the range to 125%.

I'm curious why people would suggest setting throttle trim to minimum. In my book, leave the throttle trim in the centred position and set the throttle range as has described above. Once set, if it still is not working correctly, then try decreasing the throttle trim until it works. Do not then reset the throttle range.

Right guys. I little update on my issue. After hours of head scratching I took the plane to kings Lynn models where I bought it from? They tried all the things I tried, then they removed the esc and plugged it into one of there test boards. Again, it continued to beep with no throttle response.

After a few more try's they decided it was knackered. Took it out the back, 2 mins later they brought a brand new one out and gave it to me. They took the new esc from a new model that was for sale. They said they would sent the old one back to century UK and get them to replace it. What brilliant service they provide. I honestly can't recommend them enough.

Thanks Kings Lynn Models. Top service.