Tornado PSS Lost Foam Version

Peter Garsden

Was flying the Tonka at the Lleyn last weekend. First flight was fine, but second one not good on the Sunday I suspect because the tailplane was set at the wrong angle. I had to land out. It was a heavy landing. It tore the wing bolts slightly.

I had a problem in that the wing bolts have compressed the foam on top of the wings and squashed it down. This has meant I can't tighten the wing on properly.

So to get round this problem, I have found some fibreglass tubing from an old wing joiner and pushed it in the bottom of the wing to give the bolts something to bit onto. See photo.

dsc_0192.jpg

Thanks Phil. You have shown that photo before and I took your advice. Unfortunately the whole ply plate was pulled through the foam. Maybe it was not big enough. I am trying stop the bolts pulling through the foam.

I was using an idea used on my Top Model Ideal where they use thin brass tubing.

Let's see how it works, but the ply wasn't strong enough because it was resting on a foam bed?

• 2 weeks later...

Am at the van in Anglesey so went up the Orme today - only an hour away, as it was forecast to be 20mph and South West. At the edge it was 30mph gusting to 35 but loads of lift.

So flew the Tornado, which went like it was on rails, so smooth and fast, superb. Up into a 300 foot climb, stall turn then down and up again. Fantastic. You all should have been there.

dsc_0211.jpg

dsc_0212.jpg

Oh yes - forgot to say - I was flying my Voltij happily when two Lockheed Martin F35 Lightnings flew on a knife edge round the edge of the Orme one after another. They were so close I thought they were going to hit my model - cant have been more than 300 metres away. Most amazing experience. They then flew off round Llandudno bay and over the horizon.

2 of these

Quite right Andy. I had absolutely no idea what they were, other than the fact that they had two fins at the back and a vaguely triangular wing, so I went onto Wikipedia and looked for aircraft the RAF were flying. These were the only ones that looked anything like. Thought - heh, that will impress the anoraks - just goes to show what a numpty you can become in just one short post. Could be an F15, 16,17,18 or 31 - no idea at all. It was just a mightily impressive and awe inspiring experience.

Just been on Google, and I have to admit that you are right Matt, and I am wrong - surprisingly knowing my encyclopaedic knowledge, which Andy rightly recognised. So this is the correct picture. So the question is, why does it not appear on the list of RAF aircraft here - or am I better not saying anything to avoid embarassing myself even more?

Well thank you chaps. I knew it was worth joining PSS for the education alone! yes

It reminded me of seeing a Vulcan similarly close one day flying up at Moel Famau back in 1979! That's what inspired me to build one..

So if I have now to build and F15, what plan, converted kit etc. do you recommend, or do they not lend themselves to PSS?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 27/08/2015 17:15:40

Anyway, I have drawn one, about the same size as my MiG29. Should be built the same way as my Mig too - formers slid onto a 6mm dowel to use as a datum, then planked with an AFT for elevator. Foam wing with a carbon spar and removable fins. Have never done anything with it, but there you go.

I think we need to get you on an aircraft recce course Peter - I'll bring you a spotters guide next time we meet!

Must have been a thrill to see the F-15s pulling around the Orme's contours... I would have definitely lost my model (again) with all the excitement had that happened whilst I was flying... embarrassed