Tornado PSS Lost Foam Version

Peter Garsden

Advert

I am shaping my intakes ready for fittingimg_20150318_211212.jpg to the fuselage. I have used a dremmel to cut the top overhand off so I can attach the top sheeting of the fuselage to span the top sheeting.. I have decided that I will attach some thing ply wiht a 1/16th balsa spacer so the join will be clean.

I shaped some balsa former for the insde of the formers which hopefull will stiffen it up with my handy profiling tool.

Seem to be doing a lot but not showing much progress at the moment. Tonight I made the blocking off pieces for the air intakes. Into one I fitted my switch - took up the tips Tim Mackey suggested re putting a switch in the end of the jet. Good one. I won't be switching this one off by mistake on landing, that's for sure - see my Hawk blog for how disastrous that was.

You can see in the background the Aero Tech Epoxy, which is meant to be brilliant for gluing Fibreglass apparently. Will check it in the morning.

Have not received my jet outlet mouldings from Real Model Pilots and have sent a chaser. I think this finish is going to be close but am hoping to make it for April.

img_20150319_224334.jpg

Today I have attached the air intakes to the fuselage with the Aero Tech Epoxy. I am a bit disappointed that the fit has left gaps, which I will have to fill with epoxy and microballoons. Not much left to do now - other than fit the fin and upper fuselage moulding.

When the glue is dry, I will fit the top 1/8th inch sheeting.

img_20150321_202127.jpg

Posted by Matt Jones on 21/03/2015 21:55:57:
Peter, good to see this progressing but I have a question, why film cover a fibreglass model instead of painting?

Good question Matt.

1. I am rubbish with paint.
  2. It takes a long time to get a good finish
  3. I experimented with my Alpha Jet and found it sticks very well, and gives a very smooth surface.
  4. It is quicker.
  5. If I was doing a camouflage finish I would have no choice, and would paint it. As I am choosing the prototype I will get a quicker and better finish with film.

I have cut out the parts for the fin support. I nearly made a mistake. Andy, I thiimg_20150322_173408.jpgnk there is an error on the plan. It shows that the fin is 1/8th inch thick whereas it is 1/4th inch. I have photographed the top view of the fin support which shows only a gap of 1/8th wide for the fin. Fortunately I spotted the error before I had cut out all the parts.

Phil - my plan shows 1/4 inch sheet fin not a built up one. It seems there are many versions of the plans as Andy has said. So it would be correct if the fin on my plan was built up - as it with Andy Blackburn's plan.

Well the afterburners arrived yesterday in the post. Unfortunately they were the ones meant for Andy Blackburn. Andy if you PM me your address I will forward them to you. Steve from Real Model Pilots has promised to send me larger ones, as my jets are 60mm not 55mm like yours - something to do with not shaping the blue foam quite small enough at the outset..

Anyway - have made the crutch for the fin. Have found some magnets I bought last year to hold the fin so I don't have to use Diamond Tape. The problem is that I can't get them in now until the top comes off because I have done the top sheeting - annoying. I am using Andy Conway's suggested attachment shown on his blog. I am hoping I can find a screw of the right dimensions to attach to the bottom of the fin, and the magnet underneath. Bit of head scratching here.

Obviously the crutch needs some pairing and sanding to suit.

img_20150324_065520.jpg

Also have sanded down the nose, but it definitely doesn't match Phil's or look the right shape. Don't know if this is because of the shape of my F1, and the say I put together the various pieces for the nose block, but I have been left with a hole where there is no balsa. Can't work out why. You can see that I stuck in a piece of balsa patch, which will be fine when it is sanded. I also had to patch up the nose block near the root as again the balsa did not quite fill in all the gaps. One of the disadvantages of using blue foam and having to get the shape right in the beginning of the build I suppose. Still when it is doing Mach 1 at the Orme, will anyone really care?

Also carved a rough shape for the bit behind the cockpit. More shaping to come for the spine on top of the wing.

Yes - Solarfilm on fibreglass - worked on the Alpha Jet and seemed to stick better without Balsaloc than on ply, which is a disaster without Balsaloc. Don't know why it works though you have to take your time and use a higher heat setting I suspect.

Can see an end in sight thumbs up- though the trouble and strife is not happy with my hermit life style! angry 2 Got a banging on the floor the other night when I thought she was awake - was just sanding and very quietly too!

img_20150324_065659.jpg

Just looked at your marvellous cockpit and after burner post - awesome literally. Also re read your thread on the magnet and access hole arrangement. My fin is a very tight fit, so I am not worried about losing it, and have worked out how to fit the magnet. Great idea for access hole where it can't be seen. Will do the same.

Tonight have shaped the spine.

img_20150324_214133.jpg

I then used my really handy Proxxon Dremel to cut the hole for the wing I had marked, and the underneath of the wing template. It is so brilliant with its flexible arm. You have to get one if you haven't already. I used the thin diamond tipped disc which worked a treat. I also needed my Chrimbo present magnifying head set. Couldn't have seen enough close up detail without it. Aimg_20150326_221232.jpgs a result I could make a very accurate cut then sand back the fibreglass

Edited By Peter Garsden on 27/03/2015 05:10:44