Tornado PSS Lost Foam Version

Peter Garsden

I won't be using any glue Mark. I will cover the jets and the fuselage in fibreglass separately then dissolve the foam with acetone, leaving three hollow shells. Then I will glue the jets to the fuselage with either epoxy or super crylic which I have got on order - or possibly gorilla glue. I may cover the jets before gluing to make it easier with the Solarfilm. So the blue foam is just a one off mold which will disappear on the inside leavng a mouldie effectively. All will be revealed in due course.

I have done a picture of the hot wire pen I used. I made a piece of nichrome wire the right length for the cut out, and roughly scooped it out. I also show a picture of the transformer I made. I have ordred a 24volt transformer and am getting rid of my 12v transformer from inside the box if anyone is interested.

img_20150131_133651.jpg

I have cut out the balsa parts I need frimg_20150131_160602.jpgom the printed page no 2. I don't need a lot of them so I have pieced some together on one sheet. I have used a fantastic method of putting the plan upsid down on the wood, and rubbing it with a cloth soaked in celluose thinners which rubs the ink through onto the wood. Fantastic and much quicker than other methods I have used.

Well tonight we have cut out the fuselage, or rather the side templates as the top and bottom templates were done on Thursday. Keith said I shouldn't admit this but, I decided I wanted to be honest. We actually had to cut the sides twice, as a I realised when I had finished that the templates were back to front.

I glued the existing top and bottom together with spray 3M contact adhesive, which I will use to glue the fibreglass matting to the mould before wetting it. We then cut it again, whilst I was cursing like mad.

So if you look carefully enough you can see the join.

It is hard to recognise as the shape of a Tornado.,but there is a lot of sculpting to do.

img_20150201_183022.jpg

Good question, Steve. It is because I am going to finish the fibreglass at F1. The accepted method is to use a balsa nose which I am going to stick to F1, which I think I will make out of ply rather than balsa. The point is that it is diffiicult to wrap fibreglass round sharp corners. I tried with the Alpha Jet I made, and it was a mistake. Basically I will take the cloth beyond the end of the corner then cut it off flush and clean.

Anyway, tonight, I have started shaping the blue foam with a Japanese saw and Permagrit sanding blocks and files. I have made templates for F1, the jet ends, and outside parameteres of the outside of the formers from the formers Alan drew for me wiith the outside diameters shown. Excellent.. This way I can get the shape right.

img_20150202_203814.jpg

It certainly is a Japanese saw - just brilliant for cutting foam if you go for the finest tooth version.

Re fibreglass - as most of the mouldies are made out of it, you have to develop the art I think. Also I don't think it weighs much more, and I am convinced it is quicker, and simpler, and stronger in a bump.

Anway tonight I have been carving and sanding. I think we are nearly there ready for wrapping in brown parcel tape

img_20150203_215324.jpg

img_20150203_215306.jpg

Tonight I only had about half an hour so have trimmed up the fuselage sides to meet the canopy, and done a bit of fiddling. I have done a mock up with the balsa nose taped on to see what it will look like, and it is looking more like the finished article. My Permagrit files are really coming in handy for shaping and sanding the foam.

Still need to do more work on the join between the rear of the jets and the fuselage, then it will be parcel tape time with a Solarfilm iron.

img_20150205_002852.jpg

Edited By Peter Garsden on 05/02/2015 01:13:57

Peter,

I've been following your build with interest. I have the Paul Janssens F4U Corsair plan waiting in the wings, which uses the lost foam method. A couple of questions, if I may:

- You mentioned getting 'special' drawings of the formers from Andy. Are these reduced in size to allow for the thickness of the fibreglass around them, or do you just mould the fuz slightly larger than the balsa version would be?

- How do you line up the fuselage formers on each side of the foam to be parallel before cutting? Is this an eyeball job, or is there a trick of the trade?

Regards, Steve

Great that you are taking an interest chaps, thank you.

Phil - when you say behind the air intakes, I think I understand your question. I am going to mould the air intakes separately, leave the front and back open so they are hollow as indeed will be the insides so they are like a hollow piece of fibreglass with the inside open.

At the front I will recess a piece of balsa like you have done with the air intakes to provide a step if you like and block it up.

At the back, I will leave the front of the rear section open as well as the back of the jet. I will then use super crylic glue (good for fibreglass apparently, and new to me) to attach the completed air intakes to the fuselage, and put a piece of tape over the rear join so it looks like one piece if you get me. I will leave the underneath join as a seam as I think it was meant to be an opening door on the full size. You will see when I get to that bit.

I have been puzzling over the flat sheeting in between the wings. I have decided to glue a strip of 3mm balsa along the inside edge of the top of the air intake on each side as a support and glue a piece of balsa across as per the plan rather than attempt to do it in fibreglass.

Steve - yes indeed Paul Janssen - that was where I got the Alpha Jet plan. I looked at the Corsair.

The special drawings extend the formers to the outside of the fuselage and show the whole shape including the exterior sheeting rather than the cut down versions on the plan. I can thus gauge properly the correct outside shape, and sand the foam accordingly if that makes sense. I didn't do the same with the Alpha Jet because the plan catered for a lost foam method, as will your Corsair and give you the correct drawings.

If it doesn't fit properly, I will adjust to fit, and probably use my handy shaping tool, which I mentioned in my Hawk blog with a photograph. I don't know what the correct name is.

Lining up the formers - not really important as they are being glued to an outer rigid shell. It really doesn't matter, but I will probably use the template again, mark the position of the formers and line them up each side that way. I will use the same method to mark the position of the wing and tailplane and fin slot. Tailplane hole will be a bit tricky.

I am also a bit worried about how I will get the tailplane pivot into position. I may have to saw off the air intakes then re glue them into position - might use F8 if I do. It is all a work in progress to be honest but quite a lot of head scratching.

I am not inserting all the formers just F1 - supports the nose, F2 - forms the start of the cabin, F3 or F4 can't remember which - in front of the wing, and F 6 behind the wing. I am not bothering with F7 and F8 as I couldn't glue them in anyway, and the would only add weight. The fus will be strong enough without them.

Hope all is clear?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 05/02/2015 14:10:33

Hi Peter very interesting how you are going about this lost foam version, I also will be doing a GR1 version in foam but not the way you are doing it as this will be for EDF/PSS so most of my foam stays with the the model.

As the output duct will be bifrucated from a single fan as per the HK. Sea Vixen.

But will continue to watch with interest.