Tornado PSS Lost Foam Version

Peter Garsden

Posted by Peter Garsden on 14/02/2015 22:30:29:

The tape is there for several reasons:-

1. Yes to stop the resin eating the foam, though I use epoxy not polyester which dries too quickly. I don't know if it would dissolve to be honest.
  2. To give a smooth inner surface for the fibreglass so as to make it easier to glue formers to it.
  3. To give the resin a solid smooth surface to purchase against. I think it would soak into foam, and be heavier when finished.
  4. To make it easier to pull out the last of the dissolved foam after you have poured acetone into the middle at the end.

All make sense, thanks Peter. Look forward to the next episode!

Which epoxy resin is it that you use?

John, don't remind me about melting the foam. Last time I did it, I cut my fingers on the sharp fibreglass then the acetone ate into the cuts - and I couldn't stop because liquid blue goo was leaking out all over the place.

Steve - I think I understand your question

1. I ironed on the parcel tape with a solarfilm iron.
  2. I cut the pieces of glass fibre cloth for all 3 layers
  3. I then coated the parcel tape with wax.
  4. I sprayed each piece of cloth with 3M contact adhesive and applied it to the waxed parcel tape so it stuck. Otherwise the cloth would slide all over the place and drop off - I think.
  5. For the second layer, I have just wetted out the cloth with resin in the usual way.

Hope this answers your question?

Not posted a lot this week because I have been building up fibrglass layers - 2 x 160gram cloth then a final of 80grams. I have a sharp edge near where F6 is so had to do it in two separate sides, sanded off in between.

Final layer is quite smooth. Tomorrow (rain) will be a layer of resin and microballoons most of which will be sanded off to get a smooth finish.

Have taken some photos of a perfect jet tail pipe I have found. It is the right size and tapers. It is a plastic container Ihave had some diet food delivered. I am on a great wheat free, dairy free, sugar free diet called the Hale Plan. It is delivered to your door each Sunday and Wednesday. It was the brain child of a mate of mine. Anyway, this afternoon for snack it was curried cashew nuts, and the container is perfect.

I am going to saw off my fibreglass jets, and replace them with plastic because it will be much lighter. Also I have to gain access to the all moving tailplane pivot somehow, and there wont be enough access from the wing area. I was contemplating cutting a hatch underneath. If I saw off the fibreglasss jets, then glue in F8 after I have sorted the tailplance pivot then it should work out nicely. As the moment I only have one jet so need some more nuts next week. Here's hoping. I am sure I could get some from him if anyone wanted some. My plan does say plastic bottle. Don't know what Andy used originally - Andy? Here is a picture.

img_20150221_200042.jpg

Some good progress there Pete, nice one - looks like you are not too far off removing the foam! thumbs up

Really looking forward to the comparison discussions we are going to have on the balsa/fibreglass/EPP variants currently being manufactured

PS - hope your diet ends before April - Im not sure you'll see your curried nuts on the menu at the Travelodge?!

I had not flown slope for the last 20 years - last time when I was at College in the 90's. I sold all my gliders, but had bought a Bullit, (not Ripmax Bullet) epp type model and flew that for the first time, properly on the slope - even though I've had it over 10 year. Peter flew a PSS Hawk, but was slightly damaged on landing when the tail caught a rock.

Whilst the resin was drying, I started work on the wings. I had already done the tips, and set about cutting the lines for the balsa leading and trailing edges. Although I used a brand new blade, I was unable to make a clean cut for all the edges, and in parts the foam was scooped out leaving a few holes. I think that if I cut it again, I would use a balsa saw.

To fill up the gaps in the foam I used Gorilla glue which has worked well.

img_20150222_202623.jpg

The resin and microballoons has now dried, and I have started to sand it down. I tried the Proxxon Shoe Sander but it was a bit mickey mouse, so I got out my Bosch sander which is much better. I was a bit worried that the surface was too uneven to finish properly, but it is coming up fine. Bit more to sand off, to leave a very thing layer just covering the weave in the fibreglass

img_20150223_210227.jpgimg_20150223_205829.jpgcloth. Just like my Alpha Jet.