2.0.14 Now available for download.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Advert

OK - panic over!

I just repeated the process. Flashed both to the new ETSI firmware and got the flickering LED and jittery servo response as before. Then I rebound the rx - still in D16 mode - and normal behaviour resumed!

Not sure whether to leave it with the new firmware or revert back to the old now! I have a couple of gliders with X4R rxs buried away within them that would be a bit of a pain to get to to flash. So I think I'll revert back to the old firmware - for now at least. I know now it can be done in a few minutes with the correct cables, though I think I need to make up another cable for the X4Rs as they have a tiny Smart socket.

I must admit, I'm a lot happier now than I was 24 hours ago!

The performance before re-binding was worrying. But after re-binding it looks no different to the old firmware - though I guess it must be missing a few packets of data here and there. And this is sitting less than 2 metres from my wireless router, so whilst our flying site is hardly "out in the middle of nowhere" it's going to much quieter in terms of RF 'noise' than here.

I'm still reverting to the old firmware for now though - if only because it's the easiest option. (Re-flash 1 tx and 1 rx versus flash 4 rx's, 2 of which are partially inaccessible and need an adapter lead making up first!)

My understanding is the firmware to allow updating the internal module and external receivers and SPort devices will get into openTx, but isn't in there yet. The firmware is in ersky9x (used on th SKY board upgrae for the 9X Tx, the 9XR-PRO and also available for the Taranis). I have also built a copy of openTx with the updating firmware in it and I have passed all the required source code on to the openTx crew.

This feature will not be in the bootloader as there isn't enough space available in the bootloader for it.

What I do in ersky9x, and expect the same in openTx, is to have a "maintenance mode", accessed byt holding the horizontal trims APART while powering on. This then provides the facility to do the updates in a clean, safe environment where the Tx is not doing anything else.

We don't know exactly what FrSky do regarding LBT. It is allowed to listen, and if finding the channel is occupied, hop to the next channel in the same time slot. If this is done, there may be no lost packets at all.

I had no problems with an updated internal XJT and an updated X6R, nor with the updated XJT and a D8R-II. In both cases I did re-bind.

I can confirm the updated firmware for the X6R and the X8R are the same file, I downloaded both and compared the files.

If you want to update the internal XJT or external devices, you can flash ersky9x, use it to update the devices, then flash openTx back. ersky9x flashes in the same way as openTx (not too surprising since I wrote the bootloader originally and both ersky9x and openTx use it).

Mike.

There is a problem with the XJT, ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1 firmware when using a 'D' series receiver. It binds and works OK, but if you then change the XJT to operate in D16 mode to a 'X' series receiver, when you change back to D8 mode the 'D' series receiver no longer works properly until you bind it again. The problem persists, even if you power the Tx off.

FrSky have the fix for this and are expecting to post a new download "soon".

I suggest holding off from updating any XJT modules until this fix is available.

Mike.

Given the D and V8 RXs seem to work with old and new XJT firmware, it seems to me it is going to be a lot easier to update any new X series RXs you buy to the Int'l (non-EU compliant) firmware than going through your old RXs updating them so they can work with the new EU XJT firmware (some of mine are very buried in hard to reach places!). Probably not what Europe was intending when it brought in these regs, but I don't see any reason this strategy cannot be adopted.

Edited By MattyB on 30/01/2015 13:46:34

• 1 month later...

SInce the updating firmware I wrote hasn't made it into openTx yet, and I received several requests for this, I've built copies of openTx 2.0.15 with "maintenance mode" in it that allows easy updating of SPort devices.

The file(s) and instructions may be found here: **LINK**

Back up your EEPROM before flashing this, and take care with the wiring for external devices (power and ground swap over).

Mike.

Yes both the internal XJT and external devices are supported. The file(s) I posted didn't have GVARs included, but I just added version(s) with GVARs included.

Take care with the wiring for external devices. I was rushing this morning and slipped up, so blew up a X6R receiver due to the power being the wrong way round. It is still useful for testing flashing, but the RF doesn't work any more.

Mike.