Flycam on the cheap

Advert

Here's my You Tube video report on the MD 80  camera with some test footage I shot while riding my motorbike.  Possibly not quite as easy to mount on a model as the key fob type, but good results.
Haven't had a chance to try it on a model yet.

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/01/2010 17:03:41

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/01/2010 17:04: 51

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/01/2010 17:08:05

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/01/2010 17:09:18

Nice report Bob. I have just bought a MD80 from HK, I have made a lightweight plywood bracket for it but I havent had a chance to fly it yet, but have tested it out at home. Very impressed with the quality, but not the instructions.
One difference with mine is that the charger came with a UK 13 amp. fitting.
I also chose the red colour in case it gets lost!

Red sounds good!

Interesting about the plug, though I just charge it through the usb.

As you say, the instructions leave a lot to be desired  easy to work it out though.

When I get a chance I'll try and find a way to mount it on a model.  Definitely want it away from any chance of exhaust oil getting on the lense as I think it would be very difficult to clean!

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/01/2010 19:38:00

Another video I just edited made with the MD80.  This time just edited with Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0.  I think the quality is even better in this.  Not flying (still haven't tried it on a model,)  but a time stretched motorbike ride.
This is similar quality to paragliding videos I've made with my £140 Sanyo Xacti C40 DV camera!

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/02/2010 09:09:09

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/02/2010 09:14:14

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/02/2010 09:16:00

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/02/2010 09:16:50

I've received my Key-Cam from HK today. Delivery just 9 days.    I'm finding it difficult to interpret the written instructions.   Am I right in thinking that you just plug in the USB adapter into the Key-Cam & Computer to charge??   The instructions refer to a  a CD but there is no CD with the product.     Should I have received a CD or not ??     Maybe, someone who has purchased this product could enlighten me!!   Eric.

Seems they are all plagued with rubbish instructions - I cant dechiper any of the Chinglish nonsense on the gum cams one either - I am just plugging it in to the usb port and hoping for the best. The manual refers to coloured LEDS - all the colours are different on mine, and the positioning is wrong too. The instructions on all aspects of it are just hopeless.
These pathetic "manuals" which we as modellers seem to get all too often are one of my pet hates in the hobby
Rant over

Ian, yes, it takes a micro SD card that it used in mobiles. A 2 gig card will record for 30 mins, 4 gig for one hour, 8 gig 2 hours etc.

Ok, this is how you operate the camera (there is no CD, I didn't get one either)

There are 4 buttons, 2 are fixed and don't do anything, of the two that do work, the bottom button is the on/off switch.

The top button-nearest the lens and mike- do two things. Press once for a photo,LED will flash once.

Hold down the button for video, the LED will flash 3 times very quickly then the LED goes out, it is now recording video.

Took me a while to get to grips with it, but soon becomes second nature.

When you want to stop recording, press the lower switch 2 switch off, the yellow LED will come back on.

Charging is simple, use the supplied adapter to plug into any USB port, approx 2 hours will fully charge.
Use the same USB adapter to record to your hard drive, then playback using WMP,or similar.
You will get better playback results after copying to your hard drive, unless you have a very fast Micro SD card.
I bought my 2 gig card from a supplier ion amazon for about £2.50. It is branded by Kingston.

I taped mine to my crash helmet on my ZZR1100 bike yesterday, played it back to watch,and the quality still gobsmacks me! Worth every penny I'd say!

Edited By Matt Halton on 06/02/2010 23:41:47

Yes agreed. I 've got two of the key fob cameras now, as well as the MD80 I started this  page with.  Picture is just as good, if not better than the MD80, and they are an easier shape for taping onto a wing. One of my key fob cams was well out of focus when it arrived, but following advice on this web site,    key fob cam  I took it apart and , after finding the camera lense was cross threaded managed to get it off (it's about the size of a couple of match heads)  and sort it out.  It was a very fiddly and tricky job and I don't recommend it,  unless the camera is really bad. The place I bought from did have a returns policy, but as it only cost a tenner, it possibly would have cost me that to send it back.  Plus I like a challenge!

Haven't tried it on a plane yet as it's to been to windy for me for a good while.  (Did manage an hour and a half paragliding on Sunday though)

Edited By Bob Moore on 11/02/2010 14:23:15

Edited By Bob Moore on 11/02/2010 14:31:24

Hi...

Most software that allows you to download / edit vids gives you an option to 'delete memory card contents' after you have tranferred the vids and pics to your PC. If it doesn't, or you are just saving the contents to your hard drive without using download software, you can select the 'My computer' icon. When you do this there is a list of storage devices, something like 'removable disk' and a letter followed by a colon - g: for example. You can right click on the icon for an option to format (erase) the card. Memory cards get full, as opposed to existing files being overwritten automatically. I hope that helps.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a link to a video i did with the 808 Keyfob camera .

Excellent quality and great value .

or the same but on Vimeo

Its not a professional job , but the images are nice and clear for a £11 camera inc postage

Bobbyr

• 1 month later...
The quality is much the same as the MD80 mini dv camera, but the key fob camera is a much better shape for easy mounting on models. 

The site is nice and in  lovely Devon countryside.  I've only recently joined that club and  I'm still getting used to flying there, as in the approaches, etc.

The Camera was put on a non electric Windrider fox,
        It was connected at the top of the canopy where the cockpit joins the Fuse . it was held in place by one 4" inch wing band around the fuse , and a smaller thinner elastic band through the key ring eye and around the fuse rearwards of the wing , that way if the main 4" band let go , the thinner 1 would keep the keyfob joined to the plane , but its worked well and has never came off , i do find a small ball of bluetac under the front of the camera keeps the Nose out of the frame , but it is excellent and ive stacked mine a few times in crashes , but its still perfect quality every time  .

Bob