Cambria models Funfighters

Hi all, Weston was fantastic this year, could have done with a couple more slots though. It's fast becoming the best show in the world I have no doubt. The Pyro slot was amazing to fly, Steve Bishop said there were about 40 planes in the slot. I can't say as taking your eyes of the model is not an option.

The electric flyers amongst youwill be pleased to know that the nose ring has now been adapted on the models to take a sparky motor, it's 3mm ply now and if you use IC you cut out the center. The ailerons are now further out and bigger, rather than theold type strip ailerons. Please note that the torque rod hole in the aileron MUST be packed with 30 minute epoxy (using a cocktail stick or similar) 5 minute epoxy will not allow enough time to get enough epoxy in the hole during fitting.

Advert

I sadly missed the pyro stuff - the weather was awful as you know on Saturday, called it an early day around 4 ish, but came home with a Spitfire kit. Can't wait to start building it, but it's a birthday present so I'll have to wait another month yet, but going to keep stockpiling everything I need (and there's quite a bit - covering iron/covering/glue etc).

Only thing I wonder - recommended servos?

Trying to find an OS 32FX or equivalent (there's a OS 35AX but it's rumoured to be quite a bit less power), as recommended by the trusty Tbobborap.

Edited By Matthew Evans 3 on 23/06/2015 22:59:45

Hi, Sorry you missed it, It was on at 430. A lot of our guys are using a 35AX to be honest I've heard that they are good but not tried it. We are looking at the Evolution 36 which appears to be a high revving motor but OS 32Sx is the best. It's a bit of effort but you can still get the 32Sx Heli engine, which works but I think you need to get a prop driver for it. All the spares are still available though. Are you going to race it? If so contact Nexus for an upgrade pack. It's easier to install during the build. Good tools to invest in are a David plane (razor plane), razor saw and sanding block. My most useful tool other than the normal ones is a vernier guage. A cheap one is fine £6.00 or so. Thanks for buying a Funfighter.

Daren.

Hi all

I've been a long-time fan of the Fun-fighter series, having built a Spitfire as my first(!) kit, then a Messerschmitt 109, both of which I flew a number of times over the years.

I gave up RC flying a long time ago, but have recently thought about getting back into it by way of either electric or PSS - and the Spitfire seems like the best answer! smiley

Posted by Daren Cogdon on 25/06/2015 08:50:43:

Hi all

I've been a long-time fan of the Fun-fighter series, having built a Spitfire as my first(!) kit, then a Messerschmitt 109, both of which I flew a number of times over the years.

I gave up RC flying a long time ago, but have recently thought about getting back into it by way of either electric or PSS - and the Spitfire seems like the best answer! smiley

Hi Daren, To be honest if you have been away for some time and youre goin to go electric I would recommend the Hein. It details an electric version in the manual. Flight carachteristics are ultra Smooooooth and stable. I test flew mine last night using an old type fuselage with the new wing, The wing seat was the wrong shape and everything. I was expecting a horror but it still just cruised away without a care in the world. 3 clicksof down trim and it flew like the others. Beautiful. I'm sure you could build these kits with an axe and a bag of nails and they'd fly well.

This weekend will see the next Woodspring wings event at Yatton near Bristol. Now being run by Steve Holland we should expect some refreshing changes to the show as I know Steve is a very capable chap. I can report that the Funfighter display team will once more grace the skies of Woodspring and add a little zing to the proceedings. Nexus Modelling supplies will be providing the kits at the shows this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, Just to let you know that as usual Nexus will be on handat Cosford this weekend to provide the Funfighters. Yesterday I delivered the latest batch of kits to them, so for the show they will have good supplies of Spitfires, Heins, Me109s, Fw190s and of course the Mustangs. At £76.99 these kits represent excellent value for money and only the best quality materials used. All Kits now feature 'Quartered' Obechi skins on the wings, offering superior strength and a very straight grain. If you can't make the show then you can go direct to www.funfighters.co.uk and get them direct from me.

I look forward to hearing from you. And can answer any questions you may have either on here or on [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

A quick note to say that Nexus modelling supplies are all fully stocked up with the full funfighter range for Elvington this coming weekend and looking forward to seeing you. In the unfortunate event that any get sold out over the weekend, we have plenty back at base. So a quick visit to the website will see your order whizzing to your door, wherever you may live. We just received our first order from Australia this week I'm pleased to announce.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Keep your eyes peeled for the Online build of the Cambria Me109. This will be the subject of a magazine review for RCM+E and also an online build which can be seen on the Cambria Funfighters Facebook page (search for Cambria Funfighters and remember, it's only genuine if the logo appears at the top of the page). You will need to be approved, but this is a formality to stop spammers on the page.

Hi all, a quick update on the Cambria Zero. I realize that it's been a while but I will be having a discussion today on a likely release date for the evaluation kits. All basic design work is now complete and last bugs are just being sorted so watch this space. There is currently one Zero flying at the moment and I can confirm that it's a beauty in terms of flying. Ten evalutaion kits will be relaeased and the information gleaned from the build of these will be used to finalize the kits.

Hi, following a discussion today, I can confirm that the release date for the Zero evaluation kits is the 10th of October. We are able to take 2-3 more interested modellers to buy the evaluation kits at a reduced price, assuming that all the preregistered people are still interested in taking part in the evaluation. It will mean that you will prepurchase the kit at a reduced price and then following release of the evaluation kits on the 10th of October you will need to build and review the model so that any issues can be ironed out before general release. The price will be announced in a couple of days for these kits. Please PM me if you would like to take part or if you have already registered with me I will contact you soon.

And just to give Darren a rest, I last flew these beasties about 30 years ago, factory was about 7 miles from my house on the way to my site, and they were fun. Fast, manoeuvrable, and you never get bored, cos they will hit the ground otherwise. And a fine way to learn finishing techniques. And fine combat aircraft. And I am not employed by Darren, and I have not got build space for anything else.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Just a quick note to let you know that I will be at Gaydon tomorrow along with the Nexus team to chat and answer any questions you many have regarding the Funfighter range. You will see myself and Mark Aubrey wandering round the show in the red Funfighter jackets and shirts. Please feel free to stop us and say hello. and to ask us anything you like really. Look forward to meeting you.

Daren.

"Breaking News" as a special offer this Christmas, Mustang and Me 109 kits are 10% cheaper in November and December this year. It will take a short time to edit the website to reflect thisbut anyone wishing to take advantage of the offer can email me on [email protected] to apply direct.

Many Thanks.

Daren.

Cambria Funfighters.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. The fun could be about to begin for yet another model in the Cambria range. Some of you will have read about my plans to introduce a new Funfighter to the range (Mig 7) which is indeed going ahead. Today However I have just aquired a new Project. I've managed to get hold of an untouched Cambria Tri Pacer kit. Those of you who remember the original will be pleased to hear that It will be reproduced with all lazercut parts and so they will all fit this time round . If I can source all the right parts, a scale front oleo leg too. The production is expected to take about a year or so. Watch this space......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Have ordered and received the Cambrian Spitfire funfighter for electric power. Was wondering whether it would be feasible to use separate servos in the wing for ailerons as I'm not keen on the torque rod set up? The motor I thought of using was a PPPO-3536-910 outrunner but note from 4max web site an inrunner is recommended! any thoughts?Eventually it is my intention to glass cloth the model and use Humbrol war paint colours.

Hi, I'm guessing that you have a Cambrian Spitfire. We are Cambria (no N). These are different models but I'm sure that two servos is fine and I've never known torque rods to be anything but reliable if done correctly. Please feel free to visit www.funfighters.co.uk to learn more about our range.

Hi all, my first year of running the Funfighters is nearly up now and I feel that I have learnt an awful lot in that time. Not least, how much work goes on behind the scenes of even the smallest model business.
Sales of the range have steadily increased over the year compared to estimates of previous years but there is still a long way to go before I could make it a full time job.
I have to say that none of this would be possible without the help and support of a great many people.

Martin John Painter for the website and writing instructions for the Zero, Phillip Knight, who has tirelessly made all the changes to the kits that I've introduced, Paul Bardoe for advice on various issues, Paul Gosling of Nexus modelling supplies for giving me an outlet at the shows, Mark Aubrey for helping me with...... well everything really and coming to call for me in the Q40 racing, Michael Donnelly for being so helpful and a generally good bloke and Kevin Taylor for their work on graphics, David Ashby and Graham Ashby of RCM+E for help and advice on kit reviews and publishing them, Alex Whittaker for his continued support, freindship and a wee dram, Chris Martindale and Liam Swarbrick for building such top quality models for me and the great review of the Me109 and also all the evaluation team for the new Zero kits.

All the guys who fly so well in the display team (it's not easy avoiding so many fellow flyers, while someone is trying to blow you from the sky with 50 gallons of petrol and a shed full of explosives.

All that have joined this group new and old, and posted on here both for fun and to help others. Long may it continue

Cambria's customers (VIP's) who span the world from the USA to Europe and then Australia smile emoticon

Many Thanks to you all, I really do apreciate all of your help and support and I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and an incredible new year.

Daren

• 10 months later...

I hope this is ok. I wouldn't normally post an add here but it is for a really good cause. I would like to announce the Xmas raffle for this year from Cambria Funfighters.

The winner will receive one of our new Zero Kits, ready for the winter build just after the first of January, which is the closing date for the raffle. The entry fee is £2.00 for the draw. Please send your £2.00 to [email protected] via Paypal. Also you get a free entry with every kit purchase. 100% of the profits will be donated to Keech Hospice Care in Luton. A fantastic and very worthy charity.
www.keech.org.uk

Please note: If you wish to donate direct to Keech via their website then please forward details of the transaction to me for your entry. It is fine to do this but does make it a little harder to keep track of. I need to keep very accurate records of the donations to avoid complications later. It makes it a lot more straight forward to Paypal the donation to [email protected]

Find out more about Keech Hospice Care including our children and adult hospice care services. Learn how we can support your family today.
keech.org.uk