Lightining F3A Plane

iqon

Added strengthening CF covered piece between f13 and f14

38.jpg

and f1a, I got this angle slightly wrong and in hindsight it would have been easier to fit later, I found it also got in the way of securing the sides, it was easy enough to sort out, in my opinion the angle is not critical

39.jpg

I have fitted f1 and f2 with thrust built in as yet I had still to decide on motor and where I was going to fit it

Advert

next morning it was time to measure and mark where the ply doubles where to fit and add stringers, I also decided that for me it would be easier to drill the holes for wing tubes before fitting

43.jpg

Note !!!! the doubles could have had more cut from them to save weight but I wont be using this for competitions so weight is not as critical.

After several trial runs to make sure it will all line up in the right places the sides where then glued in place

45.jpg

triangle pieces are fitted to corners before gluing the top stingers in place to give additional strength.

Then the fun begins, time to bend more balsa, try as i could to glue all the sheets together before bending I failed every time, several trips to shop for more balsa, decided I would just bend the middle piece and add the sides once dry, worked first time.

50.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

there is a good explanation of how to cut and fit this on Jeffs post.

At the same time as working on the sides I was also busy with the vertical stabilizer and rudder.

49.jpg

51.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg

60.jpg

At the end of the first week on the jig it looked like this, A lot of time has gone into this in its first week, dont be disappointed if you don't get this far

61.jpg

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 25/04/2015 09:41:47:

That's a really skilled build Iqon, makes my efforts look very amateurish. I need to do more with curving the wood, you're showing what can be achieved if you understand how to do it.

Thanks Colin , but thats not true, ive seen your pictures....this is my first plan build, Dont get me wrong i am more than happy with the end result, but dont look for close ups , there isnt any...and i wont be telling you of all the traps i fell into...smiley.

vertical stab glued into place.notice the piece of balsa I have glued in front of it, somehow I have to fit an infill.

62.jpg

this looks like it will be a poor result.

65a.jpg

but with some filler and sanding i am pleased with how it ended up.

70.jpg

notice the 2 holes did you.?? all will be revealed later

View from front

71.jpg

You will notice that f1, is bolted into place with the correct amount of thrust built in, I took a gamble that payed off . The holes are drilled to slot a turnigy g110 straight onto them, hoping that the motor of choice would also have the same dimensions and at the worst I would just have to elongate them. The now fitted G160 fits perfectsmiley

Now its time to start on canopy, this method of making canopies works well smiley

first cover opening then place formers into position, securing in place with top spline.

, I dont recommend using these batteries for this purpose but they where available ( and i`m lazy ).

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

When you get to this stage , remove and fit to building board, in my case leftover plasterboard.

75.jpg

Fit strips starting at top, then bottom then fill the middle, you will need to wet and bend as required.

Yes Colin it is out of focus, but i wouldnt have it any other way, at this point its not a pretty sight.blush

76.jpg

once its all dry, around 4 days later, its not a quick job - secure into position and mask off the areas you do not want to sand

81.jpg

Started on the really rough areas with Permagrit , thanks GM for use of your permagrit, I will buy my own next time

"Honest"..I said i wouldnt buy any at that price , so he forced me to borrow his, i was quite prepaired to use a file, but he insisted......now ive used it, if i build again it is the first thing on the list...smiley

then move onto a long length of sandpaper.

82.jpg

Next job is to fit wing sleeve, was not looking forward to this but it all worked out right in the end..

78.jpg

wing tube was bought at the same time as Balsa from Slec but if you plan to build and use for F3A  I would suggest you use Carbon, smiley

The horizontal stab wing tube was also fitted at this time, I used tubing from wickes. ( local and cheap )

Edited By iqon on 25/04/2015 12:12:04

Edited By iqon on 25/04/2015 12:14:52

There now followed a short delay, I was trying to find a suitable pushrod so that I could use a full direction elevator arm, I was still trying to make this build as easy as I could - thats what the holes were for.??. I didnt want to fit servos into the horizontal stab if i could find an alternative. Thanks to Leeds model shop who had a 5.5mm carbon rod and adapters to fit...

now i can start fitting the stringers to the bottom.

90.jpg

this is where the elevator and rudder servos ended up.....

92.jpg