Lightining F3A Plane

iqon

Advert

Sense of humour required........ When i saw lightning F3a I expected to see the original model being built and not a 2m model (maybe a slight edit to the title to avoid confusion),,,, no doubt if the boot was on the other foot? you would probably react in the same manner.

Nevertheless following this thread with intrest so carry on regardless

Sam

Posted by iqon on 08/02/2015 10:03:46:

End of day 1 on jig...going o`k

37.jpg

Iqon,

I'm not seeing the photo in this post for some reason.

Well I was expecting to see a 2m F3A plane when I read the title. Not sure why others are having problems.

I might build one myself if Iqon manages to keep his under 5Kg and it flies well. There are not many self build F3A models around and this one in certainly different.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/02/2015 11:05:31:

Now don't be like that! I for one am interested is seeing how you get on using the jig to build your fus.

I think the 'f3a' in the title rather than 'scale', 'EE', 'pattern' or whatever should have been a hint as to what you are buildingwink

Saw the lightning F3 bit but buy then the mind had already got to mach 2 & was already deciding on the colour scheme

Andy (aka village idiot blush 

Edited By lightning 759 on 08/02/2015 20:02:58

Edited By lightning 759 on 08/02/2015 20:03:41

Edited By lightning 759 on 08/02/2015 20:04:00

Posted by Gary Manuel on 08/02/2015 18:54:15:

Posted by iqon on 08/02/2015 10:03:46:

End of day 1 on jig...going o`k

37.jpg

Iqon,

I'm not seeing the photo in this post for some reason.

Well I was expecting to see a 2m F3A plane when I read the title. Not sure why others are having problems.

I might build one myself if Iqon manages to keep his under 5Kg and it flies well. There are not many self build F3A models around and this one in certainly different.

confusion is the key element here Gary, in F3a circles there is only 1 lightning and that is the model which Dave Hardaker designed and flew to great success in the 70s.

I agree that there is not enough 2m F3a kits available & that's why I'm following with intrest even though Inicially I was expecting a Dave Hardaker lightning build...... but nevertheless pleasantly suprised even though there may be a copyright infringement

Sam

Ah right. I'd never heard of either F3A Lightning until I saw this thread. I've just looked the Dave Hardaker one up and found a 1978 magazine cover that shows a photo of his model. Obviously a very successful model in its day, but not the same generation as the Jeff Carder one that Iqon is building.

I spent some time last year looking for an F3A self build before I gave up and bought a 2m Vanquish F3A at a very good price but not assembled it yet. If I had been aware of the Jeff Carder plans then, I'm pretty sure I would have had a go myself. I'm intrigued about about the way the jigs are used for fuselage and wing building and am following with interest.

Good point about the copyright infringement. Maybe Jeff Carder has been given permission to use it? I'll leave them to argue about that one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This aircraft is now complete and maiden done - First I will start with missing pictures

first job is to make a jig, in my case i used mdf - you will need a long table, this is big.....

30.jpg

then make a start on cutting formers, I used a borrowed Titan scroll saw, thanks JS

12.jpg

once cut, some are covered with carbon fibre cloth, in my case i used 30 min epoxy, dont know if there is better stuff to use this is what I had available and seamed to work ok for me...

13a.jpg

before you cut the cloth, put tape on where you are going to cut as this will avoid fraying, I cut mine with scalpel

While the CF took time to do I continued to cut out the rest of the parts requires

29.jpg

Then start to fit formers to jig, there is a list of the sizes required for the uprights on the German site as on page 1. I think I made mine slightly taller as you need clearance later when it comes to time to remove from the jig.

34.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

You will need a good supply of clampssmiley

Thats the undercarriage plate locked in place, personally i would have liked it thicker, so later in the build i added a second layer of ply underneath, you also need it thicker if you are going to use T nuts for the bolts

uc 001.jpg