nightmare bad luck arggg. prop failure

scott finnie

I Maidened my 70cc cub two days ago and became very proud of her scale like flying qualities. Today whilst taking off there was a strange noise just as I lifted off. I thought it was something getting thrown out the way on the gravel strip . anyway I overhead at 200 feet and bang one blade of my wood 24" propeller split and I cut the engine instantly . I managed to glide downwind and with adequate height perform a normal landing. Now I bought this engine with the prop attached. There's a main but then two security screws. I can't get the main nut to unscrew! Not sure if it's locktite or what but it won't budge. Anything that I can try. I'm beyond devastated since its taking a long time to get her airborne

Advert

Scott,

If it's been loctited then warm it up with a heatgun or small pencil flame type of gas torch. That should free it up, doesn't need to be desperately hot. At least with the security bolts and the prop you have some means of the crank still, or is the prop completely off it now?

Shaunie.

Scott, was the prop fitted when you got it, and had you had it off since? Sometimes with wooden props, if its been on there for a while, the wood compresses and the bolts become loose. Then, on multibolt hubs the securing bolts either shear off or the blade itself fails. Could this be the issue here?

Ian.

Prop failure pretty catastrophic, just glad you had the height to recover and land.

The drilling of security screws looks odd, must be at least some cause for concern.

Maybe replace with one of those carbon fibre props recommended on the other thread!

Yes Avtur I agree. I'm looking at a suitable carbon prop now. Just glad it happened at height. I'd also add that I should have checked the propeller properly though as it was attached I believed that the hidden part under the hub would have been in the same perfect condition as the res . Lesson learned , I'm hoping a 24x12 will be ok

Thanks

Posted by scott finnie on 28/01/2015 21:25:12:

image.jpg

Clean split from near hub though there certainly was gravel flying around on the usually more solid ground

There seems to be impact damage to the leading edge just at the pointy end of the broken off section. Looks like a large impact from the semi circular pattern

I do however see that errant 5th hole, and looking at the hub of this ^ photo the hole seems to reappear.

Most odd. In any event, a wooden prop is not any weaker than carbon from the point of view of damage resistance. Personally I would stick with wood

Edited By Jon Harper on 29/01/2015 08:50:51