Classic Veron Impala glider

Andy Horsman

Advert

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I've amended the YT title as well. In addition to the Impala, the job lot included a SAS Aztec, a fully moulded glider and what looks to be a Chris Foss model from the rear fuse. I must compare it with the Middle Phase kit that was also in the lot along with a part built Zagi and a RTF Zagi wing which included a Multiplex 7 ch 2.4 RX which retails at over £60 (now on Ebay) The gliders needed a bit of tlc and some servos were needed but still not bad for £40!

Only a Nigerian one as I keep being told I've one something without even buying a ticketsmiley

Re the SAS Aztec, it's the one with the Duralene moulded fuselage and it has a slightly swept wing so I imagine that the c of g would be a bit behind the normal 1/3 of chord. Is my reasoning correct as I can't find any info re this model although it's probably not as old a design as the Impala which I believe dates back to the 1970's?

Andy

I have a soft spot for the Impala too - back in the day mine was a triggers broom with a succession of new wings & fusses - and a variety of radio types from s/c to full house propo. Mostly mine were on reeds with a Remcon 12 which is exactly what I'm flying now. 45 years on - same model, same radio, same slope...

impala_reeds_1024.jpg

I've also a 3/4 scale Impala, and three more full size. I don't know how that happened wink

Heres our Impala-fest at last years Ponty single-channel & retro R/C do:

099.jpg

and heres the 3/4 tiddler parked alongside a real one at Nont Sarahs:

impalas.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Ahhh ... The Impala ... that's the model that started me in radio control.

I have clearest memory of flying the Impala from a beach near Aberffraw on Anglesey.

Set up with a mate, he had the Super Impala, we had a bungee, we started off with small straight line 'hops' and slowly extended the bungee until we achieved sufficient height for a circuit.

To this day I won't forget it, we spent an entire day slowly increasing the bungee height and building our confidence, within a couple of days we were able to soar in lift from nearby sand dunes, and a few days later we were slope soaring off a hillside above Conway.

Those were happy days in the mid '70's.

For those of you who want to re-live those memories why don't you head over to Ebay and have a punt on this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veron-Impala-slope-soarer/121552213998?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725133651%26meid%3D7d73f91a1d89447fb2de0ea827caeec6%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121552220771

Still with no bids and a starting price of .99p. Within collection range for me but might be a stretch for some.

Posted by Andy Horsman on 31/01/2015 08:33:01:

For those of you who want to re-live those memories why don't you head over to Ebay and have a punt on this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veron-Impala-slope-soarer/121552213998?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725133651%26meid%3D7d73f91a1d89447fb2de0ea827caeec6%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121552220771

Still with no bids and a starting price of .99p. Within collection range for me but might be a stretch for some.

If it helps, on ebay links you can skip everything from the question-mark onwards, you only need the bold bit above

or just http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121552213998

Posted by avtur on 31/01/2015 02:19:05:

To this day I won't forget it, we spent an entire day slowly increasing the bungee height and building our confidence, within a couple of days we were able to soar in lift from nearby sand dunes, and a few days later we were slope soaring off a hillside above Conway.

Those were happy days in the mid '70's.

Happy days they were indeed.. I had a bungee at my school fields and learnt how to glide this same way.. eventually getting high enough to do a circuit and then off to a small slope..

My folks took me on a caravan holiday to near Tenby in S.Wales mid 70's; the caravan site was a disused airfield.. Dad was a good sport, he got a fishing rod and held it out of the car sunroof and towed up my glider!!

On a calm sunny evening, I was floating about for over 30mins..

As you rightly say AVTUR, memories that will not be forgotten.. smiley

Posted by Andy Horsman on 31/01/2015 11:31:05:

Of course, being a slope newbie, I had no idea what I was buying but I thought that it has the looks of model that would be ideal for cruising around of a summer's evening.

Mine even has a glazed canopy whereas most I've seen since don't

dsc_0844[1].jpg

Glazed canopy club = only way to go !! yes