RadJet - Glues

Old Geezer

Having bought myself a RadJet "kit" with Greenacres in mind this Summer I find the instructions a little reticent as to what/which glue should be used sticking the thing together. A wander through the multiplicity of threads on 't'internet wasn't very informative, except to put you off epoxy resin, but to support the glue joint with fibre tape and a few advise carbon spars. I though I might use Gorilla Glue.

Any advice from RadJet drivers would be appreciated.

Advert

I Used Gorilla glue on mine, Had it over 3 years now. You have to be able to hold the two parts together very well or they try and separate while it bubbles up, you can then sand it back gently for a nice smooth join line. Its been very good though, i`ve ploughed it into the ground a few times and it holds up very well. you can hold it horizontal at one wing tip and wiggle it about with no flex

I wouldn't recommend the Deluxe foam 2 foam on the wings for it, the little tail pieces maybe, I used some on the tail feathers of a foam glider a while back, it doesn't seem to set properly and always stays a bit too flexible for things like joining wing sections together

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 19/02/2015 22:14:23:

Having bought myself a RadJet "kit" with Greenacres in mind this Summer I find the instructions a little reticent as to what/which glue should be used sticking the thing together. A wander through the multiplicity of threads on 't'internet wasn't very informative, except to put you off epoxy resin, but to support the glue joint with fibre tape and a few advise carbon spars. I though I might use Gorilla Glue.

Any advice from RadJet drivers would be appreciated.

Did they say why not to use Epoxy?

I have used it on my build, and so far it seems to have taken OK.

Bit concerned now that mine will loose a wing or other such disaster. I did use a few cocktail sticks as locating pegs, so that should add a small degree of strength.

I am building mine "stock" so it is not going to be a hotliner.

Kev

• 1 month later...

after giving a one of these(radjet) its maiden flight, myself and ccc Carr have ordered a couple...I was impressed with the flying of it--rock steady ...ccc was that impressed he chopped off one of the members tail skids in a mid air kiss... kulou .... and it was mentioned again that he is to model aircraft flying...what long john silver was to ballroom dancing etc.... a sort of veiled complement ...do you think? .....

ken Anderson...ne...1........ ballroom dancing/radjet dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 07/04/2015 12:51:16

I maiden`d my Radjet last Sunday.

DO NOT use epoxy!!!!

No it is not like it sounds.

Following the warnings above I did a few stress tests on mine and got a rather big shock.

The epoxy just did not take.

dscf0339.jpg

dscf0344.jpg

It simply peeled away from both surfaces and I was left with.

dscf0345.jpg

Piles of smooth epoxy.

I re glued the whole lot with foam safe CA and reinforced the joints with tape.

Here you can see the tape just before I folded the last edge over.

dscf0354.jpg

Like Ken says they fly very nice even on the stock set up. They do get small quickly though!!

Kev

Foam Safe CA is not suitable for EPO type foams as it doesn't have the required strength. It's only really meant for Depron or polystyrene type foams. As Morgan says, regular (medium viscosity) CA is best. I personally only use Multiplex's Zacki on EPO foams.

Posted by Bill_B on 07/04/2015 16:21:05:

Foam Safe CA is not suitable for EPO type foams as it doesn't have the required strength. It's only really meant for Depron or polystyrene type foams. As Morgan says, regular (medium viscosity) CA is best. I personally only use Multiplex's Zacki on EPO foams.

sad

Well it held out OK for me. I was not hanging around with it either. Full bore low passes the works.

I will look again though just to make sure.smile p

Kev

Well - in the end I used up what I'd got left on the bench, i.e Zap Goo & UHU POR used as contact adhesives and a bit of B&Q's Serious Stuff flexible white glue with some G/F reinforced tape along the wing-fuse' join top and bottom. It all seems to have worked very well. As the saying goes, it flew straight off the board, balancing at the front edge of the finger grips it needed two clicks of right aileron and that was it. The only disappointment was that on the recommended 1300 3S the R/J wasn't all that quick, however with a 1000mA 4S and a Graupner CAM 5.2x5.2 on the stock motor it's just that bit quicker and a lot more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

joined the radjet club yesterday-gave mine its maiden flight-the one I maidened for a member had aprox 4 flights before it bit the dust ...its still around - although I have been told its unrecognizable from its original form etc..mine is all completely as it came out of the box and does what it says on the box.....pull's about 12 amps from the 1300/3s lipo...good value for the money...

ken Anderson...ne..1 radjet dept.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted by ken anderson. on 16/05/2015 08:31:48:

a picture is worth a thousand word's ..... teeth 2

poor radjet.jpg

ken Anderson...ne...1 radjet rebuild dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 16/05/2015 08:33:15

Ken,

What;s the story behind the broken transmitter in the photo?

Hope it wasn't a follow up response to the smashed Radion.

Gary Manuel...dn.... 4 anger management department.

morgan...april 15th is the date it was put together...the paint is wilco's acrylic(75p)... nowt wrong with the TX gary..(just the finger's that work it)....S/Glue and kicker...bit paint and some satin varnish on it tomorrow...yabba dabba......everyone should try a Radjet...

repaired again.jpg

ken anderson...ne...1 ......repair again dept.

• 1 month later...

If your running the standard setup then yes the wing joint will be fine, theirs 3 of my club members flown these with no problems. I put an extreme motor in mine so installed two carbon rods running from one wing to the other on the underside yes Very easy job.

Baz

I'm still running the standard motor, but on 4S, my wings are only butt-joined to the fuz, however the joint was reinforced above and below with fibre reinforced tape from the beginning.

I'm still trying to pull 'em off, but so far I've dismally failed.

Interestingly, after each "arrival" that's necessitated the addition of more glue and fibre tape it seems to fly better and better the more weight it gains.