Second Hand Piper Cub Dilemma

Ben Kelly

Hello all,

I have recently bought a piper cub that was a second hand model. After buying it and getting it all home i realised that not only did i not have any wing struts with it but it doesn't even look like any have ever been fitted. I know this is something that i should have noticed but when it was all together when i picked it up, nothing struck me as odd about it.

This is a big model (for me anyway) with an 80 inch wingspan and i believe it was made by TopGun. I just wanted to know if anyone else had flown a cub without the struts or what difference it might make to the flying characteristics??

I don't want to run the risk of me pulling it out of a big lazy loop and the wings folding on me.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Ben.

Advert

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 25/02/2015 16:02:39:

I dont know the model. but unless it has a one part wing then its HIGHLY likely that it should have functional wing and jury struts

If it needs functional struts flying it without them will probably be a brief affair and end in tears....

Dave,

The wing i have is a full one piece wing and it is very solid. I know that the plane has been flown before but it's just something i'm wary of. Like i mentioned there is no evidence of there ever being struts fitted so i'm left baffled.

Edited By Ben Kelly on 25/02/2015 16:24:47

Hi,

Just to throw you..

I have had 2 of the Top Gun Super Cubs - the slightly bigger 1/4 scale one..

The wings are 2 piece as stated with an ally joiner.

I HAVE NEVER, EVER bothered with the struts - they are only cosmetic and I found them a pain to fit..

I glider tow, stunt it, bunt it, abuse it till it sweats and have never had an issue. It even spent a year at 100% full throttle being flown at shows with YT's Golder Era racers.

It has regularly been used as a club trainer with all the usual high G novice stick twiddling.

Jez

As its a one piece wing it should only need cosmetic struts - the dihedral and incidence will be built into wing and saddle, if as you say the wing is strong then it shouldnt need the struts for bracing either

And looking at the pics of the other peoples struts it doesnt look like they are particularly secured strongly enough to add any significant strength either

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 25/02/2015 21:15:21

Posted by richard cohen on 25/02/2015 21:48:56:

Ben, not sure where you are in the country but i have a set of Hanger 9 Cub wings with aluminium airfoil section struts here in darkest Wiltshire if you are interested for small contribution to the current lipo fund wink 2

Rich

Edited By richard cohen on 25/02/2015 22:07:40

Thanks for the offer Richard but i think i'm going to have a go at making something myself. I've never been much of a builder, more a flyer but this is a challenge i'm willing to try.

Cheers.