Fibre glass cowls

A.A. Barry

Hi all, I need a little help here with building F/Glass cowls for my pet areoplane

Ok they say that the West System epoxy is the stuff to use, but what weight/ thickness and do I use "chopped"or a matt???

The cowl will be created on the model over polyurathane foam, which when set will be removed and the inside foam removed, leaving just a shell

Any ideas guys

Barry

Advert

Everyone will have a different view, personally I'd go 160-200g/sq metre in weight and twill weave (drapes much better around compound curves than plain weave). Also, although it says that resin cures in 24 hours make sure you leave it in an airing cupboard for 48 hours minimum, the resin is still very 'green' after only 1 day. This means it's still soft and may lose some of it's shape.

Stay away from chopped strand mat!!!

having made many different type of cowl,I use the following method,

Gel coat your mould ,having applied several layers of release wax first.

Cut out several panels of fibreglass tissue to cover the inside of your mould, so that when laying up you overlap each panel slightly.

Fibreglass matting is made up of two to three layers of chop strand on top of each other.You can carefully separate these layers into panels as you did for the fibre glass tissue .Lay up these panels as you did with the tissue going around the mould at least twice and make sure that the fibres are well wetted out.

You will end up with a very thin flexible cowling which will become sufficiently rigid once the glass is cured.

I always use Polyester resin and the reason I use tissue for the first layer is that if your gel coat is a bit thin in places,when you rub down your completed cowl down for priming and painting,if you go through the gel coat you won,'t end up with the matt cloth showing through.Hope this is of some help to anyone contemplating having ago at making fibre glass mouldings.Very satisfying.If anyone requires any help drop me an e-mail.

I made a cowl out of balsa sealed with sanding sealer. Then I used plaster of paris to make a mould. Both the cowl and the mould were waxed to prevent sticking. I simply used standard motor repair fibreglass resin with the fine non-woven fibreglass to build up the cowl one layer at a time. Two layers of fibreglass makes a lightweight cowl. More layers would make a stronger cowl, and it can be reinforced where needed.

Then I cleaned off any residual wax and sprayed it with primer to show up any pinholes and blemishes. In the end, the finish was super.

• 1 month later...

Hi I thought these pics might show the stages of making a cowling. I used polyester resin without the accelerator added, this gives plenty of working time .If you use the Davids resin from car accessory shops it will set much faster .Polyeste is fine for cowlings and cheaper than epoxy .It cures quicker but dont rush it,let it set fully before trying to remove from mold . I used an old wooden cowl as a plug to make a mold for my Luscombe Silvaire . The mode was bought from Avicraft , secondhand and hadn't been finished . As far as  I'm aware it's a home build so no glass parts available . The wooden cowl was a bit rubbish so some filler and sanding later it was a smooth plug .This was given many coats of release wax polished between coats and allowed to harden .Using polyester resin the mold was made by coating the plug with gel coat and allow to start to set then laminating chopped glass over that with normal resin . some stiffener plates from old ply was glassed onto the mold. When fully cured the plug was removed. this came out pretty clean . Any small marks in the mold were filled and the the mold was given lots of coats of release wax . The mold was given a coat of gel coat which was allowed to part cure before glass clothe was laid up inside . The edges where mounting screws were to be used were given some extra glass reinforcement.

photo Luscombe pics 2 002.jpg

photo Luscombe pics 2 004.jpg

photo Luscombe cowl and rudder 001.jpg

Getting the cowl out of the mold was difficult considering it is a simple shape. The next time i do this I will spray the mold with PVA release agent

Edited By Engine Doctor on 03/04/2015 11:18:57

Edited By Engine Doctor on 03/04/2015 11:19:33

Edited By Engine Doctor on 03/04/2015 11:32:15

Hi Barry

I use a similar technique fior making all sorts of bits and pieces. I use blue foam, It sands much easier, and will take more detail. Give your 'male ' mould a couple of coats of emulsion to protect the foam from the resin. Use the lightest glass cloth you can find, and build up several layers. You can thus make it thicker for fixing points etc. Finally, use acetone to get rid od the foam

ernie