Help building my Sunbird

Now I have brought my Sunbird ,I needs some help ,not being the best builder in the world in fact I could be the dumbest I about to start on the wings and I noticed the aileron and flap horns are fitted on the top of the wing not the bottom like most models so how do you fit the horns do you just cut a slot and epoxy the horns into the top of the wings under the bubble.Want to make sure before I cut anything??

Advert

Posted by Rocker on 26/02/2015 17:04:26:

Thanks just looked at that but will that be strong enough to epoxy the horn to that little bit of balsa??

I would think so providing you use a good quality slow setting (24hr) epoxy I tend to favour Araldite myself if you're overly concerned you could add some carbon tows as well

Hi, Rocker, I certainly wouldn't trust that. After all its absolutely critical to the wellbeing uf the whole thing, and its not difficult to alter. Dont be nervous of making alterations to kits, as long as they are not really fundamental. Having said that, The designer usually knows best.

ernie

I have a "James Hammond" Vector 3 and the horns are fixed in a similar manor. The way I see it is that if you strengthen the horn fixing too much and you land before tucking away you flaps/ailerons  and like me you fly where you can find the occasional rock lurking I would far rather have to refix said horn than repair/replace a torn up surface or trailing wing edge, then you could well regret it. All strengthening tends to do is move a weak point elsewhere.

Edited By Ultymate on 27/02/2015 10:19:10

Build going well .Need to fit the servos to the wing .How do you clever people fit the servo to the wing it tells you wrap masking tape around the servo and then glue it to the wing to save damage to the servo ,done a trial run but it all came apart on the test run ,any clever idea on this I do not want to glue the servo direct to the wing I will never get them of again !!and what G of G would you all recommended ii says 65 mm but some are saying 75 mm what is best!!!

hello rocker-wrap the servos in masking tape-couple of wraps then epoxy them in to the wing--- surprised if they come away easy - as for the c of g--- it'll be what you feel comfortable with flying-the recommended one is normally a safe one(mild setting) and as you get used to the model you can alter it slightly...

ken Anderson...ne...1 wrap dept.

75mm is a good CG position as it still gently pulls out of a dive test at that. You can go back to 78-80mm, but be sure to dial some extra expo in on the elevator servo! 65mm is a really safe position, but the model will feel sluggish and not perform to its best. I suppose it depends how experienced you are and how confident you feel. As a point of reference, my SB has it's CG at 77mm and I'm more than happy with it there.

Re. The wing servo issue: Did you roughen up the wing bay surface prior to epoxying the servos in? This is an essential operation to ensure a good bond. As Ken says, a double wrap of masking tape will ensure everything stays in place. Some builders even wrap the servos in heat shrink and then roughen up the side that's to be glued for a good bond. I would strongly advise against epoxying the servos in directly as Sod's law says............