H.K. glass cloth

An overlap will leave a ridge, unless you use way too much resin! but I think the frayed ends of lightweight glass strands would be a greater problem

Sanding out the ridge is always problematic as its highly likely you will sand away a hollow either side of the ridge as you sand

Much better to cut a piece that overlaps by about an inch all round and where needed butts up something

The sort of weight used for skinning is so light (25gsm) that the slight ridge is not too big a problem. Lightly sand the overlap making sure you don't go through the cloth, then use a high build primer and sand using wet and dry used wet if possible.

I overlap most of my edges.
cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/03/2015 11:12:45

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by iqon on 14/03/2015 00:26:34:

What is the preferred method of not fouling up the wing tube opening.....indecision

Once the glass resin is dry, just sand it off, it goes brittle and falls off with just a couple of strokes of sandpaper - in wing tubes you might have to tickle it with a file or rolled up but of sandpaper

surprise is that foam I can see in the aileron cut-out? If it is, then you should not be using polyseter resin, the solvent used dissolves polystyrene (the resin is a solution of styrene in solvent). Only use epoxy finishing resin on foam cored wings; in fact, polyester resin stinks so much, I never use it.

As said it is a built up wing, I don't think it smells that much it did when you first take top off , but no where near as bad as sanding sealer, so far done 1 wing on underside and both undersides of horizontal stab - I did do the other wing but made a mess of cutting the cloth and not enough overhang, did not notice at first and tried to reposition and made a mess of it so took the cloth off, once its dry will sand and try again. now i have had some success with it i want to get the bigger bits out of the way. One thing i had not counted for is that the catalyst removed the makings on the syringe i was using....

Edited By iqon on 15/03/2015 21:53:52

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 15/03/2015 21:27:52:

surprise is that foam I can see in the aileron cut-out? If it is, then you should not be using polyseter resin, the solvent used dissolves polystyrene (the resin is a solution of styrene in solvent). Only use epoxy finishing resin on foam cored wings; in fact, polyester resin stinks so much, I never use it.

Sorry Water based PU Resin is EXACTLY the thing to use of foam...... its retailled under the brand names "Poly-C" "Ezecote" and "Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish" - wont hurt foam at all......

I use it extensively on Depron builds