PA--12 Super Cruiser

Andy  Shailer

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Little up date on the PA-12, I never really thought about where the receiver was going because of the large space in the fuss, but as I have gone along I have decided to put all the servo leads and receiver all under the floor! which will be a lot neater, so that what I been sorting out this week.

img_2479.jpg

img_2484.jpg

The floor as had only one coat of wood stainer, will need couple more before it finished, the battery will be going next to the fuel tank, the white sq is where Ive not wood stained, as this where the chair to be stuck down.

img_2485.jpg

Oh and a bit more on the chair!!

Also wood stained the back shelf, back bench chair not stuck in yet just seeing what it will look like when finished.

img_2488.jpg

Also made a start on dash, hopefully that will be finished in next few days!!

img_2467.jpg

Andy

Andy for a bit of inspiration and certainly some ideas have a peek at Keith Pyrah's build on RCGroups. Stunning model and what I tried to achieve when I converted my Flair Cub.

John

Flair Cub upgrade on here

Edited By fly-navy on 08/04/2015 20:03:18

Hi John,

Thank you for your comment, I had Keith's thread already on my bookmark, I agree is a stunning model, its also on youtube, yours looks great too, I will be happy if mine looks as good, what did you cover yours with? I'm going with glosstex, I've used lots of other coverings but never glosstex!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks John.

Been doing little silly jobs last few weeks so not much to show for it, I replaced cockpit frames and have now give them a coat of paint, inside cockpit will be a cream satin.

img_2515.jpg

img_2516.jpg

I've also been playing with map/ book pockets at the back of the chair, I used them washing netting bag things, I found black paint came off due to the netting being nylon, so I've used a black permanent marker which seem to work a treat, the top part of the netting is some of wifey's cross grain ribbon of which I just stuck on with super glue.

img_2591.jpg

img_2592.jpg

These two are for the sides of the fuss, either side of the front chair.

img_2594.jpg

Andy

Edited By Andy Shailer on 22/04/2015 21:52:12

• 1 month later...

I'm back working on the cub this week, pictures to follow, I've ordered the darker red Gloss Tex for the covering, does anyone know if the spectra red spray is a good match before I buy a can, or any ideas brand/make for the perfect match for the red Tex, any info please.

Andy

Been working on the pilot this week, good old Action man as he seems a good scale size ( I think ) I had the problem of keeping in his seat!! I made the seat belt from a thick tape/ribbon doubled over for a better thickness, then used a bow tie clip for the buckle, which works fine, well for the waist part that is!!

And yes he will be dressedblush

img_2700.jpg

The problem was keeping the top half secure, but to look like he's holding himself up, so I tried the little powerful earth magnets on the back of the chair with sticky tape first, then stuck the magnets on his back, it sort of worked, but not good enough, then I cut the card away so magnets had more contact with the ones on his back, that sorted it out 100% better, I used epoxy to stick magnets to the chair, and will epoxy the ones to his back when I've sorted out what he will be wearing.

img_2697.jpg

img_2699.jpg

img_2701.jpg

And I shook him around a bit and he didn't move/come unstuck, so powerful them little magnets!!

Andy

• 1 month later...

Bit more done on the cub if anyone following, originally having a 2 stroke on the front when I brought her the cowling had a lovely big hole where the muffler came out, now its got a 4 stroke on the front I needed to get rid of the whole, I covered the hole on the inside with glass fibre and when set I covered the out side with car filler, lots of sanding over a week, more filler, sanding, filler ect, till got it all smooth, sprayed with primer ready for painting.

img_2757.jpg

img_2756.jpg

img_2750.jpg

img_2883.jpg

img_2884.jpg

img_2885.jpg

img_2900.jpg

img_2899.jpg

img_2903.jpg

Since I took these pictures it has had a bit more fine filler added and sprayed again.

Also the wings have had a bit more work on them with now a servo in each wing, as it had a servo in the middle of wing with bell crank system before.

img_2751.jpg

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I got widows in today, and finished the frame work around the windows, just need to rub them down an Im ready at last to start covering, couldn't help put the inside in today just to see what it will look like when all covering is done.

I wasn't happy with the inside the fuss after I removed the old servo tray, so I came up with the idea of corrugated card painted cream, covered the mess and think it looks better.

img_2944.jpg

img_2943.jpg

The cock pit seat all stuck to the the floor, the floor slides in a treat, I've got joy sticks to go in yet.

img_2947.jpg

img_2950.jpg

img_2951.jpg

Back shelf on and hiding the servos.

img_2952.jpg

img_2954.jpg

img_2956.jpg

img_2960.jpg

img_2958.jpg

img_2959.jpg

Edited By Andy Shailer on 21/07/2015 18:24:03

Thank you for nice words lads, John if it was a 1/4 scale size I might have thought of doing the rib tapes and if I had built it myself then maybe, but on this size I wont bother.

I have finished the wings today, looks bigger now!! I will get pictures on soon as I get time, I will try tomorrow, next job is sorting out the cowling, I have sprayed it spectra Red, but not a good match, so will be rubbed down and sprayed with Solarlac Red, it a better match.

• 5 months later...

Back on with super cruiser, nightmare trying to find clear acetate for front screen, but have finely found some and back on track now, I was going to spray the red on the fuse but I might cover with the gloss tex but before I go ahead question pls, what the procedure for gloss tex going on gloss tex, any tips please.

Andy

After asking advice on the forum I went for the glosstex over glosstex, of course I was worried about trapping air between the two layers of gloss tex, anyway I took a deep breath and went for it, took me most of Sunday to fit six pieces! 3 bits each side of the fuss, cut round windows ect, but no air bubbles so really pleased how it came out, onwards and onwards now!

All above the green tape it where the red gloss tex is going.

img_3488.jpg

img_3491.jpg

This was the

img_3495.jpg

Once this part of the fuss was done, I felt I was winning!!

img_3496.jpg

img_3499.jpg

img_3497.jpg

img_3501.jpg

Now I feel I've got a super cruiser!

Andy

The wing struts needed to be replaced as the struts that came with the cruiser are bent and all out of shape, after asking the question "what do I use" ali, wood, balsa ect, wood seems the way forward, so will pay a visit to B+Q later today and see what I can find.

Also Decals are on now, thank you Tim at Modelmarkings.com

• 2 weeks later...